Fall 2017 CANADIAN clinical psychology

BeezKnees

26 minutes ago, psych123456 said:

To the person who was rejected from Waterloo in the Results page, I am really sorry to hear! I know what an intense process their interviewing was so be proud you made it that far! Would you mind messaging me your POI? I am on a waitlist and I am basically going insane so anything would help!

Same for the person who was just Accepted :( I was waitlisted on the same day you were accepted so if its the same POI and you are planning to accept the offer please PM me! Congratulations btw!

1 hour ago, psych123456 said:

To the person who was rejected from Waterloo in the Results page, I am really sorry to hear! I know what an intense process their interviewing was so be proud you made it that far! Would you mind messaging me your POI? I am on a waitlist and I am basically going insane so anything would help!

what was the interview process like like at Waterloo?

1 hour ago, psych123456 said:

Same for the person who was just Accepted :( I was waitlisted on the same day you were accepted so if its the same POI and you are planning to accept the offer please PM me! Congratulations btw!

I am also waitlisted, would that person also please message me I would really appreciate it :) Congrats!

13 minutes ago, superfruitpsych said:

Does anyone know of people who were waitlisted and actually got accepted eventually? I'm not really feeling hopeful :S 

I don't know anyone personally, but if you look at the admissions stats for most schools you can see that pretty much all of them extend more offers than there are available spots. Like at Ryerson in 2015 they had to make 15 offers for an incoming cohort of 9, and I've seen similar numbers at other schools. Don't give up hope yet :) 

Edited by hsnl

1 hour ago, superfruitpsych said:

Does anyone know of people who were waitlisted and actually got accepted eventually? I'm not really feeling hopeful :S 

I do - she is now a very successful/respectable clinical psychologist (wait-listed and admitted at SFU). Granted that was 20-ish years ago, but still... I am also on two wait-lists - trying to be prepared for both outcomes!

1 hour ago, hsnl said:

I don't know anyone personally, but if you look at the admissions stats for most schools you can see that pretty much all of them extend more offers than there are available spots. Like at Ryerson in 2015 they had to make 15 offers for an incoming cohort of 9, and I've seen similar numbers at other schools. Don't give up hope yet :) 

Also, what this person said :)

It's March and the wait to receive the letter (admission/waitlisted/refusal) from OISE via post is painful...

Sigh... what are the chances of having an notification that is not refusal when you haven't heard from the POI at all? ?

PS it's SCCP at OISE

18 minutes ago, lockman86 said:

It's March and the wait to receive the letter (admission/waitlisted/refusal) from OISE via post is painful...

Sigh... what are the chances of having an notification that is not refusal when you haven't heard from the POI at all? ?

PS it's SCCP at OISE

Wondering this as well. I haven't heard from my POI at all. Do they actually send out rejection letters in the mail? I haven't heard of this. - Nevermind! I checked the results section.

Edited by cosimaniehaus

20 minutes ago, lockman86 said:

PS it's SCCP at OISE

5 minutes ago, cosimaniehaus said:

Wondering this as well. I haven't heard from my POI at all. Do they actually send out rejection letters in the mail? I haven't heard of this. - Nevermind! I checked the results section.

Me too. I hope we'll get relief either way soon!

I don't even know if I want to attend there any more, but has anyone heard from Lakehead University by chance (which seems to have the least popular accredited clinical program in Canada - haha)? I have heard absolutely nothing, and seemingly no one has discussed it on this forum either. The application has said "under review" for months now...

1 hour ago, Noctiv said:

I don't even know if I want to attend there any more, but has anyone heard from Lakehead University by chance (which seems to have the least popular accredited clinical program in Canada - haha)? I have heard absolutely nothing, and seemingly no one has discussed it on this forum either. The application has said "under review" for months now...

Same for me! I haven't heard anything since mid-January when I emailed my POI and he said they hadn't received the applications yet

2 minutes ago, HopefulFutureGrad said:

Same for me! I haven't heard anything since mid-January when I emailed my POI and he said they hadn't received the applications yet

Hmm... I just checked the results page for last year and it looks like offers were going out around this time last year. Perhaps we will hear back soon after all...?

To those who have heard back/gotten in to OISE SCCP...Did you all talk with the POI/get an interview at some point? I have heard zilch since November 15 when I applied, so I'm assuming that means I didn't get it...

As others are starting to get acceptances I thought I'd ask: what amount is considered a "good" funding offer? What should the offer be enough to cover in terms of tuition, rent, living expenses, etc?  How much do grad students typically supplement offers with loans, etc?

I just received my first official funding offer and this is my first year applying so I have no comparison. The offer would be enough to cover tuition and rent for my first year but no living expenses.

My apologies if this is already posted somewhere else, I tried searching and couldn't find anything. 

15 hours ago, lockman86 said:

PS it's SCCP at OISE

15 hours ago, cosimaniehaus said:

Ahh I see I wasn't the only one wondering this! Well, I wish all of us the best of luck, regardless :)

1 minute ago, psycgrad08 said:

As others are starting to get acceptances I thought I'd ask: what amount is considered a "good" funding offer? What should the offer be enough to cover in terms of tuition, rent, living expenses, etc?  How much do grad students typically supplement offers with loans, etc?

I just received my first official funding offer and this is my first year applying so I have no comparison. The offer would be enough to cover tuition and rent for my first year but no living expenses.

My apologies if this is already posted somewhere else, I tried searching and couldn't find anything. 

I think this is fairly subjective. Personally, I'd go to a school with a better reputation/better labs/better connection with the POI and take less funding, then be fully funded but not fully invested in the program. I think covering tuition and rent is more than enough but then again I'm 21 and have been living off of Mr. Noodle for 2 months so pretty much anything seems like a great offer to me!

27 minutes ago, psycgrad08 said:

For a two year program (not clinical psychology) I was given 38k, this included TA & RA

18 minutes ago, PhDPLZ said:

For a two year program (not clinical psychology) I was given 38k, this included TA & RA

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of program was this? That seems really high compared to funding I've seen for clinical programs, most of which seem to offer around 20k per year before tuition is taken out. Unless it was 38k in total for two years? If you don't feel comfortable answering that's totally understandable! 

1 hour ago, hsnl said:

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of program was this? That seems really high compared to funding I've seen for clinical programs, most of which seem to offer around 20k per year before tuition is taken out. Unless it was 38k in total for two years? If you don't feel comfortable answering that's totally understandable! 

It was that amount for both years (19k per year) and it was for experimental psychology. 

Hi everyone,

This application season is my first time applying for a doctoral program so it is very exciting to read all of these responses. I was wondering if anyone has heard back from the Clinical Psychology programs at either the University of British Columbia or University of Calgary? I applied to both clinical and counselling programs at these schools and already received rejections from the counselling programs. Thanks!

7 minutes ago, bluesky020 said:

Hi everyone,

This application season is my first time applying for a doctoral program so it is very exciting to read all of these responses. I was wondering if anyone has heard back from the Clinical Psychology programs at either the University of British Columbia or University of Calgary? I applied to both clinical and counselling programs at these schools and already received rejections from the counselling programs. Thanks!

I believe interviews for clinical psychology at Calgary were conducted in January and the visiting day was in February

On 01/03/2017 at 7:03 PM, Noctiv said:

I do - she is now a very successful/respectable clinical psychologist (wait-listed and admitted at SFU). Granted that was 20-ish years ago, but still... I am also on two wait-lists - trying to be prepared for both outcomes!

Also, what this person said :)

On 01/03/2017 at 5:58 PM, hsnl said:

Wow that is so awesome to hear! Thank you both!