Fall 2017 CANADIAN clinical psychology

BeezKnees

4 minutes ago, Noctiv said:

I'm not sure I would say it's more or less likely for them to accept it. If they're holding on to it, then it's likely they have a more preferred school and haven't been accepted there yet (or are waiting for funding info). So, they keep their current offer as a backup plan, but don't want to jump the gun. If they've got multiple offers, then one would hope/think they would decline all but the best offer they've received so far.

I'm also in the wait-list boat (looks to be my only shot), but I generally wouldn't expect to know your fate until April, unfortunately. That's when funding information will be released, and when people will need to start making final decisions on their offers, so there will be a lot of shifting around in terms of wait-lists/offers - hopefully enough to push us to the front of the line!

Thanks, I needed to hear it from someone else that I shouldn't hope to hear anything before April. This wait is really hard. I hope we get lucky.

25 minutes ago, BeezKnees said:

Accepted to York- my top choice school with my top choice POI!!!! Omg I'm gonna cry. 200 applicants, 8 available spots for new students. I'm so excited!!!! I don't even know what to do with myself.

Don't give up guys. This is my 4th round applying, and I've had 55 rejections. I can't even believe this is really happening right now.

Congratulations!! :D That is great news! So happy for you! All your years of waiting and trying have paid off. A good example to never give up hope!

46 minutes ago, delmoon said:

Thanks, I needed to hear it from someone else that I shouldn't hope to hear anything before April. This wait is really hard. I hope we get lucky.

No problem! Hang in there (easier said than done - it's starting to eat away at me as well).

5 hours ago, Noctiv said:

No idea what it could mean. It still says "Received by administrator" like before, just with the updated date. It might just mean that the decision has been reached for that school, but not the others?

That's my best guess as well

5 hours ago, BeezKnees said:

Accepted to York- my top choice school with my top choice POI!!!! Omg I'm gonna cry. 200 applicants, 8 available spots for new students. I'm so excited!!!! I don't even know what to do with myself.

Don't give up guys. This is my 4th round applying, and I've had 55 rejections. I can't even believe this is really happening right now.

Congrats! All the hard work has finally paid off! :D

Edited by Neposydko

4 hours ago, Noctiv said:

No problem! Hang in there (easier said than done - it's starting to eat away at me as well).

What strategies do you use to distract yourself about this ? I know this is ironic because gradcafe is probably not one of those methods :D 

7 minutes ago, delmoon said:

What strategies do you use to distract yourself about this ? I know this is ironic because gradcafe is probably not one of those methods :D 

Kind of an unexciting answer, but just working and finishing up a potential 2nd publication to improve applications next year if not admitted on this first go-around (aiming to get it submitted by the end of March so that if I am not accepted, I'm not too de-motivated to finish it). Sort of comforting to know I'm still improving my chances next year.

All of that, and copious amounts of heroin of course.

54 minutes ago, Noctiv said:

Kind of an unexciting answer, but just working and finishing up a potential 2nd publication to improve applications next year if not admitted on this first go-around (aiming to get it submitted by the end of March so that if I am not accepted, I'm not too de-motivated to finish it). Sort of comforting to know I'm still improving my chances next year.

All of that, and copious amounts of heroin of course.

Seems like the logical thing to do but I am having a hard time concentrating on anything :(

I just got an email from CGS saying,  "The status of your application has changed. As of April 1, consult the Application Overview page in the Research Portal to view the results."  Did anyone else receive this? There is no change yet on my portal so I'm wondering why they sent this now if I can't hear the result until April. Is this a bad sign?

1 hour ago, Gossamer said:

I just got an email from CGS saying,  "The status of your application has changed. As of April 1, consult the Application Overview page in the Research Portal to view the results."  Did anyone else receive this? There is no change yet on my portal so I'm wondering why they sent this now if I can't hear the result until April. Is this a bad sign?

That just means that one of your schools has been a decision; check the date on the schools. They're not realising any info till the 1st, so you should be in the clear :)

1 hour ago, ContentFaces said:

For people who have applied multiple times and been more successful this year, what tips do you have for preparing for a second round of applications?

I was rejected from everywhere last year but was accepted this year. For me, what made the difference was getting a job that provided an opportunity to get on manuscripts and presentations, and I got involved in side projects through my undergraduate university psychology department. I also tried to get my name out through the department of the school I was interested in by presenting at conferences and research days offered by the school. I realize this information isn't helpful for everyone, but the most applicable tip I can give is get involved in more research! 

Do any schools accept without an interview?? (Cliinical Psych). I applied to York, Ryerson, Calgary, and Dalhousie (as well as a couple others where I have interviewed at, or already been rejected from). 

1 hour ago, Psych.kitty said:

Do any schools accept without an interview?? (Cliinical Psych). I applied to York, Ryerson, Calgary, and Dalhousie (as well as a couple others where I have interviewed at, or already been rejected from). 

Ryerson and Calgary had their interview/visiting days in early February so if you haven't heard from them it's probably a bad sign. I wasn't invited to either of them but I've spoken to people that were. 

I don't think Dal technically requires an interview, but it seems like most profs at least hold skype/phone interviews. Their first round of offers apparently went out in January. 

3 minutes ago, hsnl said:

Ryerson and Calgary had their interview/visiting days in early February so if you haven't heard from them it's probably a bad sign. I wasn't invited to either of them but I've spoken to people that were. 

I don't think Dal technically requires an interview, but it seems like most profs at least hold skype/phone interviews. Their first round of offers apparently went out in January. 

Thank you! 

3 hours ago, Psych.kitty said:

I'm surprised you haven't heard from Ryerson yet. I applied there, didn't receive a interview, and received a rejection I believe a couple weeks ago.

2 hours ago, hsnl said:

Do you happen to know anything about UTSC ? Haven't received any kind of news since I applied.

2 hours ago, Noctiv said:

I'm surprised you haven't heard from Ryerson yet. I applied there, didn't receive a interview, and received a rejection I believe a couple weeks ago.

It seems like they're sending out rejections sporadically for some reason... I haven't gotten one yet either but I'm 99% sure I've been rejected.