Women's/Feminist/Gender Studies Fall 2017

kekology4

8 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Thank you so much! I am going to look at her publications and her work.

You're welcome. I do ask that you give some thought to pacing yourself between now and the start of your classes. The next several months are going to be challenging. Could you afford to downthrottle a little (or a lot) and enjoy a last week of summer?

4 hours ago, Sigaba said:

You're welcome. I do ask that you give some thought to pacing yourself between now and the start of your classes. The next several months are going to be challenging. Could you afford to downthrottle a little (or a lot) and enjoy a last week of summer?

I am starting classes on September 5th, but I already have a lot of workshops next week so I am starting on Monday basically. I am also going through a depressive phase since this summer and thinking about school actually helps me feel less depressed.

Edited by Adelaide9216

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

I am doing a graduate option in gender and women's studies. Feminism was not part of my undergraduate studies, but I learned the basics through my involvement in feminist circles. 

I have begun to do some readings for my feminist class and I struggle with the level of language employed. First of all, English is my second language but I've always managed throughout my undergraduate studies. Is it normal that I only understand like 70-80% of the texts that I am reading? I have no exams on them but I want to understand them for the sake of being in graduate school.

Any advice?

22 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Hello!

I am doing a graduate option in gender and women's studies. Feminism was not part of my undergraduate studies, but I learned the basics through my involvement in feminist circles. 

I have begun to do some readings for my feminist class and I struggle with the level of language employed. First of all, English is my second language but I've always managed throughout my undergraduate studies. Is it normal that I only understand like 70-80% of the texts that I am reading? I have no exams on them but I want to understand them for the sake of being in graduate school.

Any advice?

If you're understanding 70%-80% of works that are theoretical or largely informed by theory, you may be doing much better than you realize. 

See if you can find introductory works geared towards general academic audiences, maybe something in Oxford's VSI series or Handbook of series, or works like these <<LINK>>. 

Consider going to your professor or maybe a graduate student further along the pipeline to have occasional (and informal and brief)  "balance check" chats.

A good chat would go like this:

• Adelaide9216: It's my understanding that Book 1 is saying X=(A+B)*Y
  • Professor One: It's saying X= (A+C)*Y  would mean that you're in the ball park and you just need to reread some stuff (or figure out why you're right and she's wrong)

A complicated chat would go like this.

• Adelaide9216: It's my understanding that Book 1 is saying X=(A+B)*Y
  • Professor Two: (Pause) I think it's saying something more like r=\frac{p}{1+\varepsilon\, \cos\theta},

Then it's time to head back to the library. :o

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, so I have to write a literature review for my Women's Studies theory class. Is a lit review in women's studies any different than a literature review in other disciplines? Just want to make sure. I am also going to meet with the Women's studies librarian to get a bit of help on this. 

I'll know by the end of this month if I got accepted to take part in my second international conference as a master's student. The first one was in my hometown, but this one would be in France. I'm finger-crossed. But they've received more than 400 applications :( 

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I will be working in December on my application to Ethics board and I have to think very precisely about my research topic. I'm having trouble identifying frameworks to analyze the data I will collect from my interviews.

I know I want to use intersectionality for sure for my research. However, I would need a second framework and I am unsure of which one to pick. I'm doing research on a marginalized group of women (indigenous women). Would feminism be enough as a "framework" or is it too broad? What kind of other frameworks exist when doing this type of research?

PS : I got selected to present in Paris!!! I'm so happy.