Women's/Feminist/Gender Studies Fall 2017

kekology4

I don't have a cat because my mom's allergic, but as soon as I move for grad school you bet i"ll be getting one!!

Emory said today was the last date by which applicants would be notified if we got an interview, so it looks like this is my first rejection if not waitlisting.... it begins! :D

just a standard rejection. I'm not surprised given my research interests but I thought I'd put together a really strong application this year so it still stings.  

I also got the rejection e-mail from Emory today, with a note that I made the shortlist of 22. At least we're in it together! 

Personally I am so excited now that the first rejection came, and that it gave that encouraging feedback. 6 left, and ready to get this show on the road! 

What are everyone's research interests? 

4 hours ago, MickeyRay said:

I just got an email from Emory that although I did not make the cut for the campus visits, I made it to the list of 22 which is a "testament to the strength of [my] application." 

2 hours ago, kekology4 said:

I also got the rejection e-mail from Emory today, with a note that I made the shortlist of 22. At least we're in it together! 

Personally I am so excited now that the first rejection came, and that it gave that encouraging feedback. 6 left, and ready to get this show on the road! 

What are everyone's research interests? 

That is awesome you two made it to the list of 22 and that they give you feedback, that's really nice of them. Hopefully it helps you with other stuff. I discussed my research interests above but could say more if you're interested hahahaha. what are yours?

2 hours ago, kguptaa said:

just a standard rejection. I'm not surprised given my research interests but I thought I'd put together a really strong application this year so it still stings.  

If your research interests aren't matched up to their program I am not too surprised, they're such a competitive school. 

Do you guys have any advice for interviews? Do we just have to be able to discuss our research interests, why they're a good fit, and our past experiences or??

Edited by Wolverine_Champ

@Wolverine_Champ My research interests are in transnational + women of color feminisms, decolonial movements, nationalism, feminist geography, theories of security, sovereignty, state power and state violence, and bio- and necropolitics. 

For interviews, I assume they will want to get to know you a little bit more. It could be good to have some questions prepared, to show you're interested, and to take advantage of the opportunity because you likely will have some things you want to ask. 

On 1/18/2017 at 7:44 PM, kekology4 said:

@Wolverine_Champ My research interests are in transnational + women of color feminisms, decolonial movements, nationalism, feminist geography, theories of security, sovereignty, state power and state violence, and bio- and necropolitics.

Hahahaha, I feel like thats just throwing out a lot of key words, what specific thing are you into that ties them all together? Know what I mean? 

56 minutes ago, Wolverine_Champ said:

Hahahaha, I feel like thats just throwing out a lot of key words, what specific thing are you into that ties them all together? Know what I mean? 

Indeed it is, as those are the key concepts I research. I use those theories and political movements to critique state power n violence. 

Ughhh. The admission results component to this site is giving me anxiety. Haha. It seems like last year PHD people for Oregon State were chosen around Jan 26th. Sooooooooooooooooo, I'm thinking I might know soon? At least if I am accepted. Sorry yall, the waiting game is pretty horrible. 

Edited by cristyarline

i finished 11 apps to phd American Studies/Comp Lit programs. Because I finished my apps so early it feels like forever! and I'm sure this is a general sentiment regardless of when one finished. My research is centered around psychoanalysis and feminism with an exploration of the parallels between antiblackness and islamophobia, and the west construction of the other and it's impact on Black and/or Muslim women and queers folk

On 1/17/2017 at 3:40 PM, Wolverine_Champ said:

That is awesome you two made it to the list of 22 and that they give you feedback, that's really nice of them. Hopefully it helps you with other stuff. I discussed my research interests above but could say more if you're interested hahahaha. what are yours?

If your research interests aren't matched up to their program I am not too surprised, they're such a competitive school. 

Do you guys have any advice for interviews? Do we just have to be able to discuss our research interests, why they're a good fit, and our past experiences or??

What exactly is a shortlist? I'm a first gen college student so I definitely don't even understand all that's happening with the waiting process.

On 12/3/2016 at 11:27 AM, The Shade King said:

Hi, I hope everyone is well.  is anyone applying to Rutgers or UCSC.. I was debating those programs.

It just so happens that one of my MA program professors did her PhD at Rutgers. She was fresh out when I started, and she would brag like no other that she was among a select few who actually has a PhD in WGSS (as you probably know, the field is still relatively young and there are only about 2 dozen dedicated WGSS PhD programs in the whole world). She has a point-- since WGSS is a rising discipline, people who are poised to get their PhDs in the next 5-10 years will have an huge advantage when it comes to landing tenure-track jobs in WGSS programs. However, I don't think that means it won't still be hypercompetitive, though...

Jasbir Puar is at Rutgers, she's a WGSS superstar, obviously. That indicates the seriousness of the program and the degree to which Rutgers is invested in the field, I think.

Angela Davis and Donna Haraway are at Santa Cruz-- and they are amazing and renown, which definitely boosts the prestige of the program. 

On 1/15/2017 at 10:37 AM, gendertroubl said:

Is anyone applying to programs in the UK or Canada? I'm struggling so much with receiving responses. 

I only applied to UToronto for PhD programs this year. No word yet. I applied to Western Ontario's MA program three years ago and had to reach out to them to receive a response (which was a rejection).

I also applied to MA programs for WGSS/feminist studies in the UK-- Sussex got back to me blazing fast with an acceptance. Manchester was also timely with a rejection.

On 1/26/2017 at 0:12 AM, cristyarline said:

Ughhh. The admission results component to this site is giving me anxiety. Haha. It seems like last year PHD people for Oregon State were chosen around Jan 26th. Sooooooooooooooooo, I'm thinking I might know soon? At least if I am accepted. Sorry yall, the waiting game is pretty horrible. 

I just heard back from Oregon State about a week ago! So yes, hopefully you will hear back very soon!

Agreed, the waiting game is awful and anxiety-provoking. :( 

8 hours ago, dr.lafortune said:

What exactly is a shortlist? I'm a first gen college student so I definitely don't even understand all that's happening with the waiting process.

Someone explained a shortlist to me as the applicants who are "next in line" in the instance that "first in line" accepted students do not choose to attend that program. But others who know better might wanna correct me!

Okay, I also wanna ask a question as a first gen kid... What is deferred admission, do they do that for PhD programs typically, and how can one politely ask for it? Does it put one's acceptance at risk to ask for it?

On 12/3/2016 at 8:43 PM, kekology4 said:

I was looking at rutgers, but actually decided not to apply because someone in the field told me there are some disagreements among the faculty there. "factions" is how it was phrased. Didn't get much more than that, but it was enough to dissuade me. Still seems like a great program though. 

I've heard the same thing-- lots of competition, drama, and politics. Big turn off, to me!

On 1/15/2017 at 10:37 AM, gendertroubl said:

Is anyone applying to programs in the UK or Canada? I'm struggling so much with receiving responses. 

I applied to Western Ontario, York University and McMaster in Hamilton - I am struggling with the anxiety of waiting!! 

16 hours ago, dr.lafortune said:

i finished 11 apps to phd American Studies/Comp Lit programs. Because I finished my apps so early it feels like forever! and I'm sure this is a general sentiment regardless of when one finished. My research is centered around psychoanalysis and feminism with an exploration of the parallels between antiblackness and islamophobia, and the west construction of the other and it's impact on Black and/or Muslim women and queers folk

Such interesting research - Sounds familiar (kind of) my research is about Islamophobia and patriarchal norms within Muslim communities in terms of gender norms and veiling and the negotiation of identity among first generation immigrant youth living in the west who don't veil. 

6 hours ago, jasminecity said:

Such interesting research - Sounds familiar (kind of) my research is about Islamophobia and patriarchal norms within Muslim communities in terms of gender norms and veiling and the negotiation of identity among first generation immigrant youth living in the west who don't veil. 

where did you apply? do you identify as Muslim?

14 hours ago, Skyride Season said:

Someone explained a shortlist to me as the applicants who are "next in line" in the instance that "first in line" accepted students do not choose to attend that program. But others who know better might wanna correct me!

Okay, I also wanna ask a question as a first gen kid... What is deferred admission, do they do that for PhD programs typically, and how can one politely ask for it? Does it put one's acceptance at risk to ask for it?

Some schools allow it for a year. It's definitely not encouraged, and each school I research says you have to reach out to them. I made the mistake for the msw program I was accepted into last year. Most schools want direct correspondence; there isn't a place for it when you accept the offer april 15th