Women's/Feminist/Gender Studies Fall 2017

kekology4

Hi Has anyone also applied to Indiana? I come from a sociology background. My research lies in the intersection between family studies and queer studies. I would say that most WGS departments are strongly humanities-oriented. I only applied to Indiana because the disciplinary boundaries seem not that clear-cut there. 

Still no responses from UCSB? It's weird that no one has heard anything and we're close to the second week in February. I'm also waiting for responses from Rutgers, Kansas, and Michigan. 

Hey everyone, would anyone mind sharing what the waitlisted email said?? Mine said that they placed me on a waitlisted for a fellowship and that they would know more chances of funding and acceptance in March.  Was this the standard email? 

54 minutes ago, Shira70008 said:

Hey everyone, would anyone mind sharing what the waitlisted email said?? Mine said that they placed me on a waitlisted for a fellowship and that they would know more chances of funding and acceptance in March.  Was this the standard email? 

I received the same email. Same exact wording.

Awww okay,  I was hoping that it wasn't just a standard waitlisted email since it was also a waitlist for a fellowship. I got it from Miller-Young as well. I wonder how many people were accepted and how many people were waitlisted 

@suisui congratulations on your acceptance!

If you gave some more specific information on your project and the research you're interested in doing, that would help me give you advice. I think Women's and gender studies is a good place for working between the disciplines that you want to work with. 

4 hours ago, suisui said:

Hi just want to claim the acceptance at Indiana. Since it's the only WGS program that I applied to, I am thinking whether I should do it or stay at my disciplinary field. Anyone has advice? Good luck to you all! 

Congratulations!

Is getting a tenure track professor job your number goal? What is your research on?

The job market is pretty tough--as so many of professors have told me--and us interdisciplinary scholars risk unemployment/underemployment because universities only know how to function within traditional disciplines.

My advice: if Indiana fits you wonderfully, and it has a superb placement rate and excellent scholars with extensive contacts across the country, go there (and I recently read that to mitigate the risk of an interdisciplinary degree on the job market, you should fit yourself into a traditional discipline early on with regards to conferences, professional organizations, and publications--that is, you're a WGS doctorate student with an emphasis on history, so you go to AHA conferences, publish in history journals, etc). But if you can see yourself fitting just as comfortably in a traditional discipline at a different school, you should consider it. Especially if they have a WGS certificate/emphasis that's just as rigorous as a WGS program itself. 

21 hours ago, NoirFemme said:

Congratulations!

Is getting a tenure track professor job your number goal? What is your research on?

The job market is pretty tough--as so many of professors have told me--and us interdisciplinary scholars risk unemployment/underemployment because universities only know how to function within traditional disciplines.

My advice: if Indiana fits you wonderfully, and it has a superb placement rate and excellent scholars with extensive contacts across the country, go there (and I recently read that to mitigate the risk of an interdisciplinary degree on the job market, you should fit yourself into a traditional discipline early on with regards to conferences, professional organizations, and publications--that is, you're a WGS doctorate student with an emphasis on history, so you go to AHA conferences, publish in history journals, etc). But if you can see yourself fitting just as comfortably in a traditional discipline at a different school, you should consider it. Especially if they have a WGS certificate/emphasis that's just as rigorous as a WGS program itself. 

great advice. this is a big thing motivating me to do a graduate certificate in cultural studies, if i do stony brook wgs. cultural studies is certainly not a traditional discipline, but it's something other than wgs, which is what my undergrad is in as well. 

3 minutes ago, Liiahhhh said:

Right? Is it too late to start praying and take religion seriously? I feel like I need some help from above haha 

oh my god, I know! I'm really about to.

I also just called about something else, and hearing the person on the other line say decisions are done, made my heart jump out of my chest. 

6 minutes ago, appleandpear said:

oh my god, I know! I'm really about to.

I also just called about something else, and hearing the person on the other line say decisions are done, made my heart jump out of my chest. 

I feel better that they didn't tell you if you're in or not as well though. I've read so many posts where students were like "emailed them about something else and they just told me straight away I'm admitted" 

2 minutes ago, Liiahhhh said:

I feel better that they didn't tell you if you're in or not as well though. I've read so many posts where students were like "emailed them about something else and they just told me straight away I'm admitted" 

Haha same! I thought I was about to have that moment when they asked for my name. But, thankfully or rather, not so much, we get to wait through the weekend. 

Alright, so McMaster said the national applicants have been reviewed already. International applicants are being reviewed next week. Offers will be send out at the end of February!  

Edited by Liiahhhh

9 hours ago, Liiahhhh said:

Alright, so McMaster said the national applicants have been reviewed already. International applicants are being reviewed next week. Offers will be send out at the end of February!  

Ok so I applied to both York and McMaster and knowing this new information about knowing sometime next week is terrifying - as much as I want to know, I also don't want to know at the same time? I'm scared haha