Women's/Feminist/Gender Studies Fall 2017

kekology4

Just now, Liiahhhh said:

Ah great, so you haven't heard anything either?

Had no idea they had a break ? That's annoying!

Nope - not since i checked last Friday. Yeah, their spring break goes until tomorrow, but typically staff/faculty don't get break off just because students do (beyond not having classes). Hope they email you soon.

55 minutes ago, ih82w8 said:

Nope - not since i checked last Friday. Yeah, their spring break goes until tomorrow, but typically staff/faculty don't get break off just because students do (beyond not having classes). Hope they email you soon.

"Thank you for your email.  Unfortunately if you have not received an offer letter then your application was not successful.  I would encourage you to try again next year."

:( :(:(

3 minutes ago, Liiahhhh said:

"Thank you for your email.  Unfortunately if you have not received an offer letter then your application was not successful.  I would encourage you to try again next year."

:(:(:(

well that's one way to let us know...I'm sure ur app was great tho, I'm sorry they didn't appreciate it! :(

7 minutes ago, ih82w8 said:

well that's one way to let us know...I'm sure ur app was great tho, I'm sorry they didn't appreciate it! :(

Shit happens, life goes on. We tried. They probably just don't have enough funding available for international students.

I am just worried because York was my safe school. 

Edited by Liiahhhh

1 minute ago, Liiahhhh said:

Shit happens, life goes on. We tried. They probably just don't have enough funding available for international students.

I am just worried because York was my safe school. 

I just called and they said that international students haven't received offers yet? They said that intl offers will go out next week probably. So hope is renewed???

12 minutes ago, ih82w8 said:

I just called and they said that international students haven't received offers yet? They said that intl offers will go out next week probably. So hope is renewed???

really? maybe she didn't realize that I am an international... YAY

thanks for calling btw! It's a bit tricky for me being over here in Sweden :D 

Edited by Liiahhhh

32 minutes ago, Liiahhhh said:

really? maybe she didn't realize that I am an international... YAY

thanks for calling btw! It's a bit tricky for me being over here in Sweden :D 

yeah, so she seemed to think we'd find out tomorrow or next week! No prob!

18 hours ago, Liiahhhh said:

Well, tomorrow would be nice ?

haha today would be great, but for my own mental health, im assuming it will be next week. I'm just hoping one of us gets it, so at least the other knows. Because if it's neither of us, it will be just that our applications dont update at all most likely. 

On 2017/2/23 at 3:11 AM, cabraloca said:

Hey everyone. I just got waitlisted for the Gender and Women's Studies MA program at UW-Madison. This is my top choice and the best fit for me out of all the programs I've researched. Please, if you get an admit and are thinking of accepting an offer somewhere else, decline your admit to UW-Madison as soon as possible so a spot can open up for me. <3 I will be forever thankful.

Hi, Cabraloca. This is Anzi. I also applied for the GWS MA program at UM-Madison. But till now I haven't received any message from them. Would you like share some details with me about the "waitlist" you mentioned before? I am really anxious. Just got the rejection from Cultural and Social analysis dpt. in NYU.

Has anyone heard anything more from Stony Brook? Last I heard, they still had some acceptances to send. I'm still waiting to hear from 4 schools, and now that February is coming to an end the outlook doesn't feel too good.

1 hour ago, BettyKatze said:

Has anyone heard anything more from Stony Brook? Last I heard, they still had some acceptances to send. I'm still waiting to hear from 4 schools, and now that February is coming to an end the outlook doesn't feel too good.

I still haven't received my official offer, but received an unofficial one from the director of grad studies feb 1 

On 2/27/2017 at 8:48 PM, kekology4 said:

I still haven't received my official offer, but received an unofficial one from the director of grad studies feb 1 

Congratulations! Yeah, I saw that those being considered for additional fellowships got notified. I'm hoping there's still an acceptance or two waiting for me out there somewhere! Maybe since you haven't even received an official letter, there's still some hope for me. I felt pretty confident in all my applications this year, but it hasn't been a kind season for me.

Edited by BettyKatze

On 2/24/2017 at 10:10 PM, Anzi said:

Hi, Cabraloca. This is Anzi. I also applied for the GWS MA program at UM-Madison. But till now I haven't received any message from them. Would you like share some details with me about the "waitlist" you mentioned before? I am really anxious. Just got the rejection from Cultural and Social analysis dpt. in NYU.

Sure. I got an email from the Director of Graduate Studies saying they are short on funding, but that I'm at the top of the waitlist. This means they already sent out admits to a group, they're waiting to hear back and if one of the candidates has alternate plans, they will call people on the waitlist. I don't know the exact rank, they just said "at the top". They also asked to set up a phone interview which will be happening tomorrow. And they said they should inform me of an opening before or by April 15th.

I think at this point it would be perfectly okay to call the school and ask the program if all admits and waitlists have been sent. And check the portal again just in case!

Best of luck!

1 hour ago, appleandpear said:

@Liiahhhh you haven't heard anything further from York have you? still nothing for me, I was so hoping we'd hear for sure by now, but i guess maybe not hearing again is a for sure no now? ugh.

Nope. I can't handle all this waiting anymore ? 

McMaster sent their email around 3pm Toronto time so I don't know. There's hope for today but honestly, I'm already looking into Plan B's at this stage. If McMaster and York don't want me, UBC will say no for sure. ☹️

9 minutes ago, Liiahhhh said:

Nope. I can't handle all this waiting anymore ? 

McMaster sent their email around 3pm Toronto time so I don't know. There's hope for today but honestly, I'm already looking into Plan B's at this stage. If McMaster and York don't want me, UBC will say no for sure. ☹️

Ugh same, its so nerve wracking. Hoping you hear good news from UBC.  I am in the same boat - trying to figure out what it would mean to apply again next year and what to do in between. 

2 minutes ago, appleandpear said:

Ugh same, its so nerve wracking. Hoping you hear good news from UBC.  I am in the same boat - trying to figure out what it would mean to apply again next year and what to do in between. 

Thank you, thank you! I mean I told UBC that I don't necessarily rely on funding (and as far as I know internationals only get $3000 tuition scholarships max anyways) so maybe that helps. ? We'll find out soon. Or never. Probably never if it continues like this. 

I'm thinking about sending another email to York but I don't want to bother them ?

1 minute ago, Liiahhhh said:

Thank you, thank you! I mean I told UBC that I don't necessarily rely on funding (and as far as I know internationals only get $3000 tuition scholarships max anyways) so maybe that helps. ? We'll find out soon. Or never. Probably never if it continues like this. 

I'm thinking about sending another email to York but I don't want to bother them ?

Soon or never sounds like a pretty good timeframe! Yeah not needing full funding should hopefully open up options. 

Yeah, I was considering contacting them again today too.  It sucks that to get results it can feel like one is being such a bother to those working there. 

29 minutes ago, appleandpear said:

Soon or never sounds like a pretty good timeframe! Yeah not needing full funding should hopefully open up options. 

Yeah, I was considering contacting them again today too.  It sucks that to get results it can feel like one is being such a bother to those working there. 

Right? But then again, that's what they get paid for so actually we shouldn't feel bad about it.

9 minutes ago, appleandpear said:

True true, once I work up the courage ill call in a bit. Ugh. Its just so final. 

They'll probably be like "nope, still working on it, sorry" ?

2 hours ago, Liiahhhh said:

They'll probably be like "nope, still working on it, sorry" ?

So it looks like the offers have gone out. She said that if the offer is not accepted, then they'll contact the next person on the list but that she doesn't have access to that waitlist. They have two weeks to respond. 

:(