Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi Has anyone also applied to Indiana? I come from a sociology background. My research lies in the intersection between family studies and queer studies. I would say that most WGS departments are strongly humanities-oriented. I only applied to Indiana because the disciplinary boundaries seem not that clear-cut there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

y'all omg top 5 overwhelming moments in my life... i got into stony brook  

Hahahaha, I feel like thats just throwing out a lot of key words, what specific thing are you into that ties them all together? Know what I mean? 

Indeed it is, as those are the key concepts I research. I use those theories and political movements to critique state power n violence. 

Posted Images

Hey everyone, would anyone mind sharing what the waitlisted email said?? Mine said that they placed me on a waitlisted for a fellowship and that they would know more chances of funding and acceptance in March.  Was this the standard email? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Shira70008 said:

Hey everyone, would anyone mind sharing what the waitlisted email said?? Mine said that they placed me on a waitlisted for a fellowship and that they would know more chances of funding and acceptance in March.  Was this the standard email? 

I received the same email. Same exact wording.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@suisui congratulations on your acceptance!

If you gave some more specific information on your project and the research you're interested in doing, that would help me give you advice. I think Women's and gender studies is a good place for working between the disciplines that you want to work with. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, suisui said:

Hi just want to claim the acceptance at Indiana. Since it's the only WGS program that I applied to, I am thinking whether I should do it or stay at my disciplinary field. Anyone has advice? Good luck to you all! 

Congratulations!

Is getting a tenure track professor job your number goal? What is your research on?

The job market is pretty tough--as so many of professors have told me--and us interdisciplinary scholars risk unemployment/underemployment because universities only know how to function within traditional disciplines.

My advice: if Indiana fits you wonderfully, and it has a superb placement rate and excellent scholars with extensive contacts across the country, go there (and I recently read that to mitigate the risk of an interdisciplinary degree on the job market, you should fit yourself into a traditional discipline early on with regards to conferences, professional organizations, and publications--that is, you're a WGS doctorate student with an emphasis on history, so you go to AHA conferences, publish in history journals, etc). But if you can see yourself fitting just as comfortably in a traditional discipline at a different school, you should consider it. Especially if they have a WGS certificate/emphasis that's just as rigorous as a WGS program itself. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, NoirFemme said:

Congratulations!

Is getting a tenure track professor job your number goal? What is your research on?

The job market is pretty tough--as so many of professors have told me--and us interdisciplinary scholars risk unemployment/underemployment because universities only know how to function within traditional disciplines.

My advice: if Indiana fits you wonderfully, and it has a superb placement rate and excellent scholars with extensive contacts across the country, go there (and I recently read that to mitigate the risk of an interdisciplinary degree on the job market, you should fit yourself into a traditional discipline early on with regards to conferences, professional organizations, and publications--that is, you're a WGS doctorate student with an emphasis on history, so you go to AHA conferences, publish in history journals, etc). But if you can see yourself fitting just as comfortably in a traditional discipline at a different school, you should consider it. Especially if they have a WGS certificate/emphasis that's just as rigorous as a WGS program itself. 

great advice. this is a big thing motivating me to do a graduate certificate in cultural studies, if i do stony brook wgs. cultural studies is certainly not a traditional discipline, but it's something other than wgs, which is what my undergrad is in as well. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Liiahhhh said:

Right? Is it too late to start praying and take religion seriously? I feel like I need some help from above haha 

oh my god, I know! I'm really about to.

I also just called about something else, and hearing the person on the other line say decisions are done, made my heart jump out of my chest. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, appleandpear said:

oh my god, I know! I'm really about to.

I also just called about something else, and hearing the person on the other line say decisions are done, made my heart jump out of my chest. 

I feel better that they didn't tell you if you're in or not as well though. I've read so many posts where students were like "emailed them about something else and they just told me straight away I'm admitted" 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Liiahhhh said:

I feel better that they didn't tell you if you're in or not as well though. I've read so many posts where students were like "emailed them about something else and they just told me straight away I'm admitted" 

 

 

Haha same! I thought I was about to have that moment when they asked for my name. But, thankfully or rather, not so much, we get to wait through the weekend. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, so McMaster said the national applicants have been reviewed already. International applicants are being reviewed next week. Offers will be send out at the end of February!  

Edited by Liiahhhh
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Liiahhhh said:

Alright, so McMaster said the national applicants have been reviewed already. International applicants are being reviewed next week. Offers will be send out at the end of February!  

Ok so I applied to both York and McMaster and knowing this new information about knowing sometime next week is terrifying - as much as I want to know, I also don't want to know at the same time? I'm scared haha

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.