2010 Acceptance

papertiger31

According to the email from the Graduate Assistant, Ohio State is still reviewing my profile and the result will be out next week. I am worried that maybe I am rejected?

Cause someone got the admission of their phd program yesterday.

According to the email from the Graduate Assistant, Ohio State is still reviewing my profile and the result will be out next week. I am worried that maybe I am rejected?

Cause someone got the admission of their phd program yesterday.

I wouldn't sweat it, @westox; divining meaning from when and how we are or aren't notified seems to be a fool's game, although I can assure you that @urbanchic and I are desperately trying to make sense out of the fact that we have no info from Rutgers, when someone else has been notified. Penn State's page got rid of a meaningless "For International Students" notification on their status check page today that had been there the last 400 or so times I checked and I completely freaked out. Here's the thing: I'm not even an international student.

As much as all this stuff seems like pure sadism on the part of the programs, I doubt that there's much rhyme or reason to when/how these things happen. Even if there is, our speculation is 80% likely to be wrong. Nothing for a man to do but sit around and think/drink.

hey guys, /mabel here i'm new to the forum. I am an international student and had applied to a couple of schools in the US n UK for geog n anthro. Needed some advice. I got through Leeds and Reading in the UK, but they're a stingy lot and m still waiting to hear abt scholarships.

In the US, Ive got through UNC-CH with funding for the first year, but they've said and i quote, "although we cannot guarantee awards for more than one year at a time, it is our intention to continue funding you throughout the period of your graudate prog. subject to ....(funding, your performace etc.)". Its $15000 for 9 months but i have to pay health insurance at $875 per semester (which is a lot converted in my currency) and I've been accepted at UIUC too but theyll get back on the funding in 2-6 weeks time. Any opinions? Is UNC-CH making a good deal? Can i negotiate for insurance? UNC-CH Vs. UIUC which is better...phew..thats a lotta questions i know..any kind soul out there with some answers? smile.gif

Hi Mabel,

I think that UNC-CH and UIUC are both good programs. It really depends more on what you are interested in doing and who you are interested in working with at each place. Both institutions have some excellent people. $15000 in Chapel Hill is a good amount to get by even if you have to shell out $1700-1800 of that on health insurance. It is too bad that UNC won't guarantee anything beyond a year, but when I visited there it seemed that they had some creative ways of funding students through various institutes on campus (when not funded directly through the department) and all the students that I met seemed really happy with their funding and their program. North Carolina as a state is really progressive when it comes to funding higher education, so I would suspect that their funding situation is not as dire as some other places. I can't speak to Illinois so much in that regard.

Good luck making a decision...

For all you folks wondering about Rutgers, you might not be aware that the good people of New Jersey decided to elect republican governor, Chris Christie, who took office on January 17th. One of the first things he did was cut the higher ed operating budget $62.1 million (of which Rutgers needs to absorb $18.5). This decision applies to the fiscal year 2009-2010, so Rutgers is scrambling to make cuts half-way through the year.

I don't think that this means that there won't be any fellowships for incoming Geography students, but I do think it is having an impact on the length of the process. I know Rutgers notified in February last year, but this year is a completely different financial landscape.

Keep your heads up!

I was accepted at UMASS in their Masters program... Funding info to come soon.

I'm still waiting on Geo programs at UNC-CH, UToronto and CUNY...

The wait is hard!

I'm also trying to decide whether a part-time job (right in my research area- remittances and social movements) is worth deferring for a semester? Does anybody know if these schools/dept have a deferral policy?

Although CUNY is not my first choice, I could probably do the job and do my first semester at CUNY because both are in NYC... but I guess I'm getting ahead of myself now!

Hi Mabel,

I think that UNC-CH and UIUC are both good programs. It really depends more on what you are interested in doing and who you are interested in working with at each place. Both institutions have some excellent people. $15000 in Chapel Hill is a good amount to get by even if you have to shell out $1700-1800 of that on health insurance. It is too bad that UNC won't guarantee anything beyond a year, but when I visited there it seemed that they had some creative ways of funding students through various institutes on campus (when not funded directly through the department) and all the students that I met seemed really happy with their funding and their program. North Carolina as a state is really progressive when it comes to funding higher education, so I would suspect that their funding situation is not as dire as some other places. I can't speak to Illinois so much in that regard.

Good luck making a decision...

Thanks 92nats you are a good kind soul smile.gif This is really helpful.

On Friday I got an e mail from the University of Kentucky letting me know that I get accepted. No word on funding yet however they are hopeful they will be able to give me some as they get a better sense of what funding they will have free. Sounds like they are also finding new sources of funding. I also heard back from McGill and I am essentially wait listed as the professor I want to work with waiting to hear from those she has offered admission to. Overall I am fairly happy.

Also to those that applied to Washington and didn't get in, I heard that they had an unheard of number of applicants this year and even fewer positions to offer.

Edited by pkchatty

My status has changed to Admitted on the Rutgers site. No word from them on confirmation/funding yet, though. Just to let the rest of you Rutgers hopefuls know that it may be a good time to check.

Ok, I really feel like Rutgers didn't update the application decisions on that day...or by few hours to process they mean a week.

Yeah, I don't know why mine came up so quick. I did get a few days ago an official rejection email, so maybe if you haven't heard anything that's a good sign? Who knows this all seems kind of arbitrary. My Kentucky online account still says "routed" even though I got an email and heard over the phone that I had been admitted.

Yeah, I don't know why mine came up so quick. I did get a few days ago an official rejection email, so maybe if you haven't heard anything that's a good sign? Who knows this all seems kind of arbitrary. My Kentucky online account still says "routed" even though I got an email and heard over the phone that I had been admitted.

Kentucky just e mailed me without any inquiry however I e mailed McGill and they told me where I stood in the process which was very helpful. I would e mail the graduate director at whatever departments you have applied to and ask where they are in their application process. You should get more information that way then online.

On Friday I got an e mail from the University of Kentucky letting me know that I get accepted. No word on funding yet however they are hopeful they will be able to give me some as they get a better sense of what funding they will have free. Sounds like they are also finding new sources of funding. I also heard back from McGill and I am essentially wait listed as the professor I want to work with waiting to hear from those she has offered admission to. Overall I am fairly happy.

Also to those that applied to Washington and didn't get in, I heard that they had an unheard of number of applicants this year and even fewer positions to offer.

Congrats, maybe we'll be there together!

A new development in the Rutgers saga: I caught the geography office administrator lady on the phone today. She told me that I was admitted, but without funding. She said that she was "just now" entering this information into the online system, but that it may not show up for a "couple of days." That is some slow ass computer processing. So anyway, if folks are still waiting, you may want to try calling.

A new development in the Rutgers saga: I caught the geography office administrator lady on the phone today. She told me that I was admitted, but without funding. She said that she was "just now" entering this information into the online system, but that it may not show up for a "couple of days." That is some slow ass computer processing. So anyway, if folks are still waiting, you may want to try calling.

Exact same situation for me, although I caught her by email. I guess I appreciate the acceptance offer, but did they fund anyone? I mean, I'm a solid candidate, but @papertiger31, you're a Clark, UMN, and UW acceptee with funding; hard to imagine any new students there if the funding pool is that dry. Stupid overweight governors.

Just wanted to join all the other geography applicants over here in this part of the forum. Seems like most of you guys have applied to different schools than I have, but I can probably contribute something. You can see where I have applied below and I am not too excited about my chances so far.

I just checked the website and I'm in at Rutgers! smile.gif

But I'm not sure about funding. Do they fund Master's students?

I'm getting the sense that Rutgers is funding no one (Masters or Doctorate) this year, but an email/call to the dept assistant should clear up your situation.

Just wanted to join all the other geography applicants over here in this part of the forum. Seems like most of you guys have applied to different schools than I have, but I can probably contribute something. You can see where I have applied below and I am not too excited about my chances so far.

Hi, When did you get the news of Florida State? Did they send you the notice by email or mail?

I applied the Florida State as well, still no response of my application.

Anyone have info on Penn State and UCLA? UCLA seems to drag it out til the bitter end every year but PSU seems late this year. Has anyone heard anything?

Edited by cjf