Fall 2017 Applicants

hypsipyle

3 minutes ago, terraaurea said:

I just got a call from the University of Cincinnati. They said the read my app, really liked it, and want to fly me out there for the interview weekend in late February (starting Feb. 23)!! I'm so pumped! 

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I was rooting for you!

39 minutes ago, terraaurea said:

I just got a call from the University of Cincinnati. They said the read my app, really liked it, and want to fly me out there for the interview weekend in late February (starting Feb. 23)!! I'm so pumped! 

Awesome, congrats!!

7 hours ago, Spiro Spero said:

Ah yeah, that's a deficiency. I'm into Roman arch but also Magna Graecia/pre-Roman southern Italy, so I was interested in their profs in that area. I also applied to BU (art history), Tulane, SUNY Buffalo, and Cambridge, and have offers from Trinity College Dublin and Uni. Sheffield (arch dept) for MAs.

I'm pretty early on in my process of narrowing my research interests and am coming from a different undergrad major, so only two PhD programs - they're reaches but I've got my fingers crossed, haha. 

It's tricky trying to find a suitable department with such an interdisciplinary field! At some places it's classics, at others it's art history, others archaeology... If I end up just doing an MA this cycle, I'd really like to apply to IPCAA when I finish it. 

Did someone say MAGNA GRAECIA/ PRE-ROMAN SOUTHERN ITALY and IPCAA in the same sentence? That's like my biography! ;) Definitely apply to IPCAA if you just go for the MA this time around! 

We should chat sometime about your interests. It's rare I find someone else who's interested specifically in pre-Roman southern Italy so I'm very excited to read that about you! :P My personal favourite region is Lucania (I've worked both in eastern and western Lucania) but I have also worked in Apulia. 

I am going to PM you about your original question anyway... :)

19 hours ago, terraaurea said:

Congratulations!!!! 

15 hours ago, ciistai said:

Did someone say MAGNA GRAECIA/ PRE-ROMAN SOUTHERN ITALY and IPCAA in the same sentence? That's like my biography! ;) Definitely apply to IPCAA if you just go for the MA this time around! 

We should chat sometime about your interests. It's rare I find someone else who's interested specifically in pre-Roman southern Italy so I'm very excited to read that about you! :P My personal favourite region is Lucania (I've worked both in eastern and western Lucania) but I have also worked in Apulia. 

I am going to PM you about your original question anyway... :)

Yes!! I dug in Apulia this past summer and loved it. Sadly, my only experience with Lucania was going to Metaponto one weekend and getting caught in a vicious rainstorm, haha. But yes, we should talk... ;) 

Just got waitlisted at UT-Austin. Not really surprised or disappointed because I had trouble really picking faculty whose research I liked a lot to mention in my personal statement. Wasn't super feeling it. Better than a rejection, though. 

8 minutes ago, Thyestes76 said:

I just have a general question for everybody, as  I am not familiar with the system in the US. If a college requests an interview, and the interview runs smoothly, is it safe to assume that one is being accepted?

Not necessarily. If a department can make (e.g.) 5 offers and interviews 10 people, half of those people will be waitlisted or rejected.

20 minutes ago, Thyestes76 said:

I just have a general question for everybody, as  I am not familiar with the system in the US. If a college requests an interview, and the interview runs smoothly, is it safe to assume that one is being accepted?

Ditto what @ploutarchos said. My program will only be able to take three people max this year because we over-yielded last year, though we're interviewing more than twice that number of candidates. Because the program doesn't want to risk over-yielding again (and incur the wrath of the graduate school), the ad com may even have to make offers a couple at a time and make more use of the waitlist. It's a frustrating process for all involved (on both sides of the admissions game)!

Edited by hypsipyle

I need to add that I did not apply to the most competitive Unis, Ivy league etc. From what I gather that particular college admits 10 people every year -unless I am mistaken - but some decline. May I ask hypsipyle if you are at a competivie Uni?  

Edited by Thyestes76

I am familiar with the interview process in England, as an undergrad, the interview was a lot about assessing what one had studied, ie about testing knowledge, whereas the US interview was rather about meeting the faculty and clarifying certain matters that the Admissions Committee thought important to address. I still have three more applications, I do not know if they require interviews or not

Edited by Thyestes76

8 hours ago, terraaurea said:

Just got waitlisted at UT-Austin. Not really surprised or disappointed because I had trouble really picking faculty whose research I liked a lot to mention in my personal statement. Wasn't super feeling it. Better than a rejection, though. 

Hi terraaurea! I got the same email from UT Austin as well. Do they tell you where you stand with them on the waiting list?

2 hours ago, Thyestes76 said:

I need to add that I did not apply to the most competitive Unis, Ivy league etc. From what I gather that particular college admits 10 people every year -unless I am mistaken - but some decline. May I ask hypsipyle if you are at a competivie Uni?  

Hi, @Thyestes76, I'm at an Ivy League school, so my understanding of how my program works may not translate to other schools or programs.

On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 5:58 PM, the gadfly said:

Ah, of course.  Hopefully I will have some insight to share as a successful applicant.

Not that the sub-field is huge, but where within narratology and classics to your interests fall?  My thesis on Herodotus I is somewhat informed by narratology and reader-response criticism.  Interested to hear where you are applying--my interest in the area is best represented in my application to UCLA, where Kathryn Morgan works on Plato's narrative.  

Here's to speedy admissions decisions...

I also applied to UCLA, and mentioned Kathryn Morgan, but UCLA is far to competitive for me. I have applied to several in the California area. 

I have been reading the work of Irene de Jong, Mike Ball, Jonas Grethlein etc. At the moment I am reading again,  Cicero, prose composition, history, trying to refresh everything, as it has been a while since I was last at school

1 hour ago, Historiaeros said:

Hi terraaurea! I got the same email from UT Austin as well. Do they tell you where you stand with them on the waiting list?

Hey there! They didn't. They just said that they can't give me updates until April and that I should tell them if I accept elsewhere. 

15 minutes ago, terraaurea said:

Hey there! They didn't. They just said that they can't give me updates until April and that I should tell them if I accept elsewhere. 

Thank you! I guess we get exactly the same information. It would be a long wait. Who knows how many they put on the list.:unsure: