Date Interview Invite Received: 12/22/16
Degree
: PhD
Type: Counseling Psychology
Notified via: Email
Interview Date: February 17
Additional Info: Student Social in the evening

3 minutes ago, whatsaname said:

Could you tell if this was a mass invite sent out to all interviewees or a personalized email? I had a lot of trouble with my UMB app so am hoping that didn't impact my application review process!

I think it was a mass email. it had my name on it, but the rest was general. Good luck!

Hi all! So this application season, I actually applied to primarily clinical programs, but one of the counseling programs I applied to has quickly risen to the top of my list (after just a phone interview with my potential PI). I wanted to ask: what draws you to the field of counseling psychology? The more research I do, the more appealing it seems to me, especially the emphasis on diversity. If your program gives you the opportunity to do some clinical work with more severe populations + the opportunity to conduct a lot of research, is there any drawback to getting a counseling psych Ph.D. compared to a clinical Ph.D.? Would love to hear opinions on this.

1 hour ago, psychpride9 said:

Hi all! So this application season, I actually applied to primarily clinical programs, but one of the counseling programs I applied to has quickly risen to the top of my list (after just a phone interview with my potential PI). I wanted to ask: what draws you to the field of counseling psychology? The more research I do, the more appealing it seems to me, especially the emphasis on diversity. If your program gives you the opportunity to do some clinical work with more severe populations + the opportunity to conduct a lot of research, is there any drawback to getting a counseling psych Ph.D. compared to a clinical Ph.D.? Would love to hear opinions on this.

I have interest in both counseling and clinical psychology programs. The attraction to counseling psychology will differ for everyone, I think.  I am interested in counseling psychology because of the strengths based approach to helping clients, the focus on multicultural competency (both in practice and research), and the embedded goal of facilitating social justice. That said, many of my research and practice interests are more typical of clinical programs (e.g., neurodegenerative disorders, traumatic brain injury, and treatment outcomes with forensic/correctional populations). The one downside I have heard reported about having a counseling psychology degree is that it can be difficult to secure neuropsychology internships because decision makers have preconceived notions about backgrounds. What I have noticed on my own is that you often see psychologists with clinical degrees on counseling psychology faculties, but rarely see psychologists with counseling psychology degrees on clinical psychology faculties. Of course this is my availability heuristic. There are many more clinical programs out there, so if your aim is to be a professor a clinical psychology degree opens more doors if what I've seen holds true.

Edited by schizometric

Interesting, thanks for the feedback! I do wonder how much the availability heuristic plays a part, as I know that the majority of clinical psych grads don't end up going into academia - and with the program I'm interested in, they have a sizable amount of grads getting academic jobs. While it makes sense that more clinical grads are getting academic positions in clinical PhD programs, I wonder if a general psych department would have a preference between a clinical or a counseling psych PhD, if all else is the same (e.g., rigor of research background/experience, teaching ability, etc.) 

On 12/22/2016 at 4:31 PM, whatsaname said:

Could you tell if this was a mass invite sent out to all interviewees or a personalized email? I had a lot of trouble with my UMB app so am hoping that didn't impact my application review process!

I also got an interview email from UMass Boston. If your concerned about about your app I would call when the schools reopen from break. Good luck!

15 hours ago, psychpride9 said:

I wanted to ask: what draws you to the field of counseling psychology? The more research I do, the more appealing it seems to me, especially the emphasis on diversity. If your program gives you the opportunity to do some clinical work with more severe populations + the opportunity to conduct a lot of research, is there any drawback to getting a counseling psych Ph.D. compared to a clinical Ph.D.? Would love to hear opinions on this.

I had a very specific reason for going into counseling psychology over clinical psychology - I wanted to work in university counseling centers, which are well known for preferring counseling psychologists over clinical psychologists (don't ask me why). In terms of the diversity approach, more and more clinical psych programs are also emphasizing that, so I don't see it as a particularly compelling reason to choose one over the other. I do think that research interests play into the choice - most of the well-known clinical psych programs in my state focus research on neuropsych, clinical disorders, etc. whereas the counseling psych programs explore questions that have more of a social psych and/or systems background as well; the outcome for clinical psych research seems to be geared towards health applications whereas counseling psych research seems more suited for understanding populations. This is, of course, a very narrow sample size focusing on my state's programs specifically, but this is the general feel I get.

Edited by dancedementia

On 12/21/2016 at 0:31 PM, Sjbionia said:

@BBoy yes thank you! I got an interview from them too! I will be interviewing Friday afternoon. What time slot did you get?

I am interviewing on Thursday! Good luck!!

On 12/17/2016 at 5:56 PM, barrettnumber5 said:

I haven't figured out how to do the cool signature with your application stats, lol! I see that quite a few of y'all are applying to the same schools as I am!

Counseling Psychology doctoral: University of North Texas, Texas A&M University, University of Kansas, Oklahoma State University, Louisiana Tech, University of Central Arkansas.

Counseling Psychology Master's: University of Southern Mississippi, University of Kansas, University of Oklahoma (counseling research.)

Clinical Psychology Master's: University of Texas at Tyler

Have you heard anything from University of North Texas? I applied, too!

1 hour ago, splind01 said:

Have you heard anything from University of North Texas? I applied, too!

Hey splind01! I have't heard anything from UNT. I know for sure that I won't be getting an interview offer because of my lack of prerequisites (made an error in my application.) I'm not sure if we were supposed to be notified by today only if we had an invite, or for either decision. Either way, good luck and I hope they are just late contacting you!

I saw on the results page that two people have received interviews from Lehigh University and I am wondering if by any chance someone would be able to tell me if they were generic or from your POI. I applied there too and my application was delayed due to some system error with my GRE but they still counted it as on time and complete for review while waiting for my results. I am just wondering if all interview invitations have gone out or if my application being delayed is why I have not heard anything from Lehigh. Thanks in advance ! And congrats & good luck to those who have an interview!

Also has anyone heard back from University of Miami, University of Tennessee or Seton Hall University? 

16 hours ago, KayJay22 said:

I saw on the results page that two people have received interviews from Lehigh University and I am wondering if by any chance someone would be able to tell me if they were generic or from your POI. I applied there too and my application was delayed due to some system error with my GRE but they still counted it as on time and complete for review while waiting for my results. I am just wondering if all interview invitations have gone out or if my application being delayed is why I have not heard anything from Lehigh. Thanks in advance ! And congrats & good luck to those who have an interview!

Also has anyone heard back from University of Miami, University of Tennessee or Seton Hall University? 

Hey KayJay22! I got an invitation from Lehigh. It was pretty generic and not from a POI. Good luck! 

2 hours ago, pricklypear said:

Hey KayJay22! I got an invitation from Lehigh. It was pretty generic and not from a POI. Good luck! 

Hey! Thank you! & congratulations on getting and interview and good luck !

I got an email two days ago from The University of Kansas saying that they are currently working on applications, and to apply for FAFSA and GA. So looks like they should be notifying soon, for Counseling Psychology PhD and Master's.

@dancedementia I'm applying to 10 masters programs, all out of state, one of which is University of Houston's M.Ed in Counseling! It's awesome because the Ph.D is in the same department and really reasonably priced! Also, it would be great to smooze into the Ph.D program!! That's my plan. I'm curious how difficult it is to get into the program?!

Edited by LindsayM

@dancedementia   I'm applying to 10 masters programs, all out of state, one of which is University of Houston's M.Ed in Counseling! It's awesome because the Ph.D is in the same department and really reasonably priced! Also, it would be great to smooze into the Ph.D program!! That's my plan. I'm curious how difficult it is to get into the program?!

1 hour ago, schizometric said:

I saw one invite for University of Maryland College Park Counseling Psych go out last week. Anyone know if all of the invites have been extended?

Same with Georgia State University Counseling Psych.

41 minutes ago, whatsaname said:

School Name: University of Texas at Austin
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/9/2017
Degree
Interview Date: February 3
Additional Info: Student Social the evening before

Guess I can cross that one off as a no-go then, thanks for the info. Congrats and good luck!

56 minutes ago, whatsaname said:

School Name: University of Texas at Austin
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/9/2017
Degree
Interview Date: February 3
Additional Info: Student Social the evening before

Hi there and congrats on the interview! Would you mind commenting or messaging me your POI initials? Thanks!