Fall 2017 Counseling Psychology Applicants

Le Chat

On 1/13/2017 at 3:39 PM, pricklypear said:

Don't worry about it! I assumed it was January. I'm pretty sure my application is in limbo due to some transcript issues. I just wanted to make sure when the interview was so if for some miracle someone contacted me, I would be a bit prepared. But since it's the 30th, I wouldn't be able to make it anyway since I already confirmed an interview with another school. 

My POI apparently is allowing applicants to do Skype interviews so I wouldn't cross them off your list if you think you may still have a shot!

Hey everyone, 

I've been checking out this board for a while but just caved and made an account to post. I've applied to 9 Counseling Psych programs and 1 HDFS/MFT program, all at the doctoral level. 

I applied to:

UGA- HDFS/MFT

University of Tennessee-Knoxville- Counseling Psych

University of Texas at Austin- CP

University of Memphis- CP

University of Maryland- CP

Loyola Chicago- CP

Boston College- CP

Columbia University- CP

University of Missouri-Kansas City- CP

University of Denver- CP

So far I've been invited to interview with Denver, UM Kansas City, and Loyola Chicago. I haven't heard from other programs, but since some people have reported hearing back from a few of those, I'm assuming I didn't get one (Maryland, UT Austin, UTK). 

34 minutes ago, CounselingPsychPHD said:

Hey everyone, 

I've been checking out this board for a while but just caved and made an account to post. I've applied to 9 Counseling Psych programs and 1 HDFS/MFT program, all at the doctoral level. 

I applied to:

UGA- HDFS/MFT

University of Tennessee-Knoxville- Counseling Psych

University of Texas at Austin- CP

University of Memphis- CP

University of Maryland- CP

Loyola Chicago- CP

Boston College- CP

Columbia University- CP

University of Missouri-Kansas City- CP

University of Denver- CP

So far I've been invited to interview with Denver, UM Kansas City, and Loyola Chicago. I haven't heard from other programs, but since some people have reported hearing back from a few of those, I'm assuming I didn't get one (Maryland, UT Austin, UTK). 

I believe UT Austin has already sent out. I didn't get one either :(

12 hours ago, JacobW83 said:

I believe UT Austin has already sent out. I didn't get one either :(

That's ok...their loss! We only want programs that want and see potential in us :) I tell myself that if a program doesn't see the value in me, that it can't be the perfect program for me. I really believe it's all about fit. 

I'm not sure if we are posting rejections here, but what the heck!

School Name: Oklahoma State University
Rejection pre-interview
Degree: PhD
Type: Counseling Psychology
Notified via: Email
Comments: My application wasn't considered competitive (their words,) which is true. School has a different research focus than what I am interested in. 

So it's been great to see which schools have sent out invites...especially as I can (sadly) cross some off of my list. I applied to 10 counseling ph.d. programs:

1. University of Denver
  2. University of Texas at Austin
  3. University of Michigan
  4. University of Miami
  5. University of North Dakota
  6. University of Oregon
  7. University of Wisconsin-Madison
  8. University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
  9. University of Illinois-Chicago
  10. Utah State University

So far, I've received 4 campus interview invites (Denver, North Dakota, Oregon & UW-Madison), 1 rejection (UW-Milwaukee). Haven't heard from the rest. Has anyone heard from University of Michigan, Miami, Illinois or Utah State? Thanks

On 12/12/2016 at 6:32 PM, psychlife4me said:

I'm also applying to both counseling (3) and clinical (6) PhD programs but my first interview offer was from a counseling school (Southern Mississippi, yay! :) ) so I hope it's cool I join the thread! I'm also applying to a couple forensic psych MA's and a counseling MA.

How is everyone holding up so far?

Hey I'm also coming to Southern Mississippi for interview, looking forward to meet you, have you arranged accommodation?

On 1/11/2017 at 9:10 PM, whatsaname said:

Did anyone apply to Boston College? It seems invites usually go out around this time and of course I'm anxiously awaiting. Would love to see if anyone else is in the same boat!

I also applied to BC's Counseling program, if you check results from last year it looks like people got invites at the end of NEXT month, with final decisions around March-ish. 

In other news, my dear old alma mater (UMass Boston) rejected me today! But at least they didn't wait until May to notify me this year. I was offered a spot in their MA program though, so there's that. If you're still waiting on decisions for them, I wouldn't hold your breath unless you've been notified that you've been wait-listed. Also, the clinical psych department just got funding cut, so odds are the counseling program did too, just BTW for those of you interviewing there. 

Edited by academicbirb

School Name: Louisiana Tech University 

Degree : PhD

Type: Counseling Psychology

Notified via: email

Details: All day Saturday event, including a social. They seem very friendly! 

Also, I totally thought I was out for this application (lacking materials, long story.) So imagine my surprise, but also very thrilled!

5 hours ago, abnumber5 said:

School Name: Louisiana Tech University 

Degree : PhD

Type: Counseling Psychology

Notified via: email

Details: All day Saturday event, including a social. They seem very friendly! 

Also, I totally thought I was out for this application (lacking materials, long story.) So imagine my surprise, but also very thrilled!

Me too. Congratulations! 

Hello Every One,

I am thinking to apply for phd this year in fall 2017 for 2018 session, i am basically interested in evolutionary social psychology, can you suggest some good programs for that.

I really like program of  University of Penn. ........................

Any other suggestion will be extremely helpful.

Regards.

8 hours ago, abnumber5 said:

Also, I have 2 changes to my Master's applications-

M.S. In Clinical Psychology UT Tyler

M.S. Psychological Sciences UT Dallas

UTD takes forever to send out results. I didn't get my rejection from them last year until June lol.

UT Tyler tends to be more responsive and I've heard good things about their program, so good luck!

If you're looking at an experimental/research based masters, have you considered UTSA's M.S. Psychology program? It's very similar to UTD's but they make no attempt to hide that it is basically a PhD prep program haha.

University of Memphis sent out an email this morning for interviews. Others are posting about Columbia and Boston College (I applied to both) and I haven't heard anything, so the anxiety is rising! Of course the final 3 CP programs I was waiting on all get back to applicants on the same day! 

2 minutes ago, abnumber5 said:

No way, schizometric! Will you be interviewing in person, or skype/phone? 

Trying to figure that out right now. I'll be driving home from another interview, but if I can make it in time I want to do the in-person interview.

6 hours ago, dancedementia said:

UTD takes forever to send out results. I didn't get my rejection from them last year until June lol.

UT Tyler tends to be more responsive and I've heard good things about their program, so good luck!

If you're looking at an experimental/research based masters, have you considered UTSA's M.S. Psychology program? It's very similar to UTD's but they make no attempt to hide that it is basically a PhD prep program haha.

Thank you so much, that's super helpful! Those are definitely back up programs, so late response is okay (maybe. Lol)

I unfortunately don't meet the requirements for UTSA, although it looks really great! 

School Name: West Virginia University
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/18/17
Type: Counseling Psychology
Track:
Notified via: Email
Interview Date: 2/17
Additional Info: Social with graduate students following interview

6 minutes ago, whatsaname said:

School Name: Boston College
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/19/17