Fall 2017 Counseling Psychology Applicants

Le Chat

20 hours ago, ellieotter said:

@abnumber5 I should also mention I am from Norman so if you have any questions about OU/Norman/Oklahoma in general feel free to PM me! I didn't go to OU for psych undergrad but I work with people who did and one of my best friends got their MA from OU's counseling program :)

Thanks so much! I interviewed in Counseling Psych with a lot of people who did the OU Counseling program so I'm seriously considering it! I may message you! 

On April 5, 2017 at 1:53 PM, abnumber5 said:

I was just offered early acceptance to OU's Professional Counseling Master's, with research/thesis focus.

Anyone here do a Master's program in Counseling before doctoral Counseling Psych?

I also did a masters in counseling before applying for PhD programs. I think that having a masters made me a more competitive candidate; I was offered admission to a couple doctoral programs. I also feel much more prepared to go into a counseling psych doctoral program with a masters under my belt. If you can afford it, I would definitely suggest getting a masters! 

On 4/5/2017 at 3:53 PM, abnumber5 said:

I was just offered early acceptance to OU's Professional Counseling Master's, with research/thesis focus.

Anyone here do a Master's program in Counseling before doctoral Counseling Psych?

I completed a Master's in counseling and was admitted into a counseling PhD program this year. I will say that a Master's in counseling is VERY useful if you are planning on doing a PhD in counseling. While I got interviews for clinical spots, I did not get any offers from them. That is NOT the case for everyone. One clinical place I interviewed at, a grad student had a master's in counseling. I think if you decide to do the master's, definitely make sure you not only do research but get published and present. Publishing takes a LONG time so get started ASAP so that you can actually claim something is in print or already printed when you apply. That will make you more competitive for all programs. Your master's courses will also translate almost completely for a counseling program but maybe only a few will for a clinical. 

• 10 months later...
On 1/11/2017 at 9:56 PM, KayJay22 said:

Does anyone know if University of Miami or University of Tennessee is done handing out invitations to interview? Although Id be devastated if they were, I rather eliminate some anxiety by knowing hahah 

I'm still waiting to hear back from UTK also! The anxiety is killing me lol