Materials Science and Engineering Fall 2017 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

2 hours ago, I Think I can said:

About how long after the deadline or when we submit our applications do we hear back? I'm a bit anxious :P

Where did you apply? I guess the best way to estimate this is by looking at the results section for the previous years. 

35 minutes ago, perovskite said:

Any news from Caltech? Don't they usually start sending out interview invitations around this time?

I heard from some students that the faculty members have started discussing the applications about a couple of weeks ago. I don't think they have sent any invitations yet, though. Maybe this week or next?

57 minutes ago, I Think I can said:

UW Seattle, Rice U, Boston U

It seems that UWS sends interview invites in late Jan, then holds visit days in Feb and accepts people in March. Rice is all over the place, even sending out acceptances in May (what's that all about?!). BU sends out acceptances in February. 

So maybe you'll hear from UWS and BU soon! 

2 hours ago, NoHopeWoke said:

UCSD Nano has its recruitment event on the 17th, hasn't admitted anyone yet. If anyone is going would love to know

Thanks for the info! Did you get an invitation? 

34 minutes ago, Fishys said:

@NoHopeWoke How did you hear about the visiting weekend?

14 minutes ago, shur42 said:

Thanks for the info! Did you get an invitation? 

Np. A professor contacted me in December and we spoke over phone. At that time, they said they could invite me to the recruitment event, but I declined. I recontacted the professor last week just to see if they had an update on admissions, but instead of responding to my question they just sent the recruitment event invitation. To me this implies that who receives these invitations is completely at the discretion of individual professors (as opposed to the admissions committee), and so you don't have to be given an invite to have a chance at acceptance, but who knows, just a guess. On the invitation they do explicitly state that admissions and funding decisions have not been made yet. 

1 hour ago, NoHopeWoke said:

Np. A professor contacted me in December and we spoke over phone. At that time, they said they could invite me to the recruitment event, but I declined. I recontacted the professor last week just to see if they had an update on admissions, but instead of responding to my question they just sent the recruitment event invitation. To me this implies that who receives these invitations is completely at the discretion of individual professors (as opposed to the admissions committee), and so you don't have to be given an invite to have a chance at acceptance, but who knows, just a guess. On the invitation they do explicitly state that admissions and funding decisions have not been made yet. 

Thanks! Do you have a schedule? Any interviews there?

Yes, they provided a schedule. I believe you get to pick up to 5 professors to speak with and they try to accommodate that. So you get to have private talks, but in odd reversal you seem to be picking to speak to them instead of vice versa, so I don't know if that's an interview or not. Certainly something like it 

I've gotten into University of Florida and Georgia Tech so far for MatSci!

Anyone get into Northwestern and know when their interview week is? I'm trying to visit a trip to GT (their interview week is my spring break) and I'm hoping they're still going to invite to visit Northwestern and just haven't gotten around to it yet :)

Hey guys,

Also a bit late here.

Accepted to: Northwestern, UIUC, UW Madison, RPI, Carnegie Mellon, and Cornell

Rejected from Stanford

Waiting on UCSB (although I'm not hopeful), UCLA, and UC Berkeley

I had a questions specifically about UC Berkeley. Their trend seems to be sending out a large amount of acceptances fairly early on, then a large amount of rejections a couple weeks afterwards. This application cycle, it seems like they have already done both of these, with their rejections going out two days ago. However, I haven't received any news at all. Do you think it's worth contacting them to see if they were unable to contact me for some reason? Or you think they may be doing something unexpected and different this cycle? Is anyone else in the same boat as me?