Teacher's College 2017 Entry

vvl

Anyone attending the admitted student day next week? I'm a little upset that they let us know so late and won't subsidize the cost of transportation! Wondering whether it would be worth the $600 to fly out. 

Edited by smcg92

I was admitted to the Mathematics, Science and Technology department. I am also interested in education policy and social analysis. Anyone that currently attends TC (or anyone who knows), is it possible to switch programs after enrolling? If so, what additional documentation is required? Is it possible to pursue both programs?

Hello Guys 

Is it worth studying at teachers for M.Ed Education Policy for an International Student?  I want to work for nonprofit/consulting firms.  I applied for masters in education after teach for India.  But, now I am getting double minded.

got in Columbia teachers, NYU Steinhardt( Stem program), UPenn School of education international development/education policy.

No aid from any school other than UPenn (5k with assistantship)

I will be grateful if you could help if I should go ahead. 

Is anyone else on the fence about choosing Teachers College? I went to the events this weekend for admitted students and had a great experience. I have no complaints about the school or the program, and I was impressed with the caliber of the academic presentations I saw on Saturday. The only thing that is holding me back is the cost. I've narrowed it down to Teachers College and Boston University. I estimate that if I go to TC I will go about $35,000 further in debt (on top of my current student loans), and if I go to BU I will have to take out about $8,000 in loans. I see this as a major difference, but I also know that if the financial package at BU were not as good, I would probably not even be seriously considering it as an option. I'm aware that for an MA in TESOL, a prestigious degree isn't needed, but I'm trying to think ahead to a potential PhD in the future. Anyone else having similar thoughts?

On 4/2/2017 at 0:11 AM, ed_applicant said:

I was admitted to the Mathematics, Science and Technology department. I am also interested in education policy and social analysis. Anyone that currently attends TC (or anyone who knows), is it possible to switch programs after enrolling? If so, what additional documentation is required? Is it possible to pursue both programs?

I'm also interested in knowing about the possibility of switching programs at TC. I just sent in my deposit. Does anyone know?

13 hours ago, yellow1963 said:

I'm also interested in knowing about the possibility of switching programs at TC. I just sent in my deposit. Does anyone know?

I asked this question to the professors from my department during Admitted Student Day and they said that it is possible. They told me that there is a change of program form that has to be filled out and a fee that must be paid. However, you have no guarantee of acceptance (it's sort of like re-applying but a little easier)

• 3 weeks later...

Accepted to the MA in Curriculum and Teaching program. I was selecting my courses and I realised that most of the classes are taught by the post grad students and the faculty mentioned on the website for my program is only taking EdD students. Is this really the case or am I just overthinking? I would really like some feedback from current students on this matter!

On 5/16/2017 at 9:53 AM, Gradstud2017 said:

Accepted to the MA in Curriculum and Teaching program. I was selecting my courses and I realised that most of the classes are taught by the post grad students and the faculty mentioned on the website for my program is only taking EdD students. Is this really the case or am I just overthinking? I would really like some feedback from current students on this matter!

Well, since no one has answered, I'll share my two cents.  Note: I'm not in C&T; my department is significantly smaller than yours.  Professors have taught all but two of my classes (the guy who taught those two classes is now a full-time instructor--he was finishing his dissertation when he taught us last year).  

TC is very expensive and can be stingy with financial aid.  Personally, I'd have a hard time paying that kind of money for fellow grad students to teach me.  This may be secondary, but one concern I'd have would be recommendations after graduation.  I suppose all of your recs would come from grad students and not established professors??  

One thing you should do is email the masters advisor and ask him/her to get you in contact with a couple of MA candidates.  Talk to them about their experiences.  That's what I did prior to entry; the tips I got were invaluable.

ETA: Just as an FYI, C&T didn't always rely on grad students to teach (I'm shocked to hear that's common now).  When my mom was a student there, she only had professors.     

Edited by Chai_latte

21 hours ago, Chai_latte said:

Well, since no one has answered, I'll share my two cents.  Note: I'm not in C&T; my department is significantly smaller than yours.  Professors have taught all but two of my classes (the guy who taught those two classes is now a full-time instructor--he was finishing his dissertation when he taught us last year).  

TC is very expensive and can be stingy with financial aid.  Personally, I'd have a hard time paying that kind of money for fellow grad students to teach me.  This may be secondary, but one concern I'd have would be recommendations after graduation.  I suppose all of your recs would come from grad students and not established professors??  

One thing you should do is email the masters advisor and ask him/her to get you in contact with a couple of MA candidates.  Talk to them about their experiences.  That's what I did prior to entry; the tips I got were invaluable.

ETA: Just as an FYI, C&T didn't always rely on grad students to teach (I'm shocked to hear that's common now).  When my mom was a student there, she only had professors.     

Heyy, 

Thank you so much for replying. I really appreciate it. So, I spoke to an Ed.M alumnus from my program and he spoke really highly of the program and said it is veryy well taught. He said it was a mixture of grad students and professors and that was something normal. So I guess its all going to be about taking a risk now lol 

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2017 at 11:23 AM, goldenangel1 said:

I'm very happy overall. I'm very actively involved in school and even work part time on campus. I can't think of any negatives at all. I know that I made the right choice coming here and TC exceeded my expectations. It's such an amazing place with so many opportunities. It's a very friendly and warm environment and the faculty and staff are so kind and supportive. The students here are wonderful. I've made so many great friends here as well. 

I'm sorry, but what imaginary version of TC have you been attending?  I began as am official student there last summer (after taking one class as a visiting student in 2014) but had to cancel my registration on three subsequent terms since then because the quality of class work offered was so disappointing. I now need to make a final decision re whether I should just go ahead and complete my program and restart for the summer B term or change plans. I actually had the chair of my department, who doesn't even know me, accuse me of not wanting to be a teacher.  No, I would like to be teacher. I just feel a little bit like I am compromising myself to take such watered down classes for 60K. TC may have been good at one time but I don't think it is now.

Edited by CIRCE'SMOM

On 6/30/2017 at 8:24 AM, Plane_Jane said:

Hello all,

has anyone heard back about the Zankel Fellowships yet?

I think deadline was June 30th, so I imagine most applications are in review. I just submitted an application last week so I expect it will take a little time.

On 5/16/2017 at 6:53 AM, Gradstud2017 said:

I will just add my feedback to this and say that what other person wrote and what you heard is accurate. You will take some classes with professors but you will also take a lot of classes with grad students or students who may just have completed their dissertations. In my opinion, this is not ideal. In grad school, you should not be taking with TA's, only professors--but TC keeps very few actual professors on faculty.  Also, I'm not in the same program as you but I have visited a couple courses in your program and basically what I saw was that there was a big emphasis on group work and sharing. You will not feel like an adult in your classes. You will feel like you are being made to play act the part of a child in an educational setting to see what types of "pedagogies" (a word you will hear way too much of) might work best. If you're a person like me who likes learning through lectures, TC will seem like a waste. However, if you are a person who likes taking classes where the instructor does not say much and everyone is just supposed to raise their hand and then talk on and on about how they feel about something, you will like TC.

Edited by CIRCE'SMOM

On 7/5/2017 at 2:32 AM, CIRCE'SMOM said:

Also, I'm not in the same program as you but I have visited a couple courses in your program and basically what I saw was that there was a big emphasis on group work and sharing. You will not feel like an adult in your classes. You will feel like you are being made to play act the part of a child in an educational setting to see what types of "pedagogies" (a word you will hear way too much of) might work best. If you're a person like me who likes learning through lectures, TC will seem like a waste. However, if you are a person who likes taking classes where the instructor does not say much and everyone is just supposed to raise their hand and then talk on and on about how they feel about something, you will like TC.

I really want to add to this.  This is a very important point.  Many of you have already decided on/against TC, but this may be helpful for prospectives going forward.  Examine your learning style.  If lecture works best for you, TC (and most education schools) may not be the place for you.  If you have a STEM background, you'll probably be allergic to all the discussion and sharing.  You're simply not used to it.  Personally, I saw minimal value in all the opinions/talking.  In some courses, getting people to talk was like pulling teeth.  In other courses, you wished some people would just stay silent.  HOWEVER, I think "sharing" is emblematic of most ed schools today.  And, if you're in MST, there's going to be far less discussion than in other departments.  I took as few discussion courses as possible.  I made HEAVY use of independent studies; I worked one-on-one with the head of my department--a sage in science and sci ed (~3 semesters).  I also worked with an instructor in the art department focusing on creative technologies (~2 semesters).  Get creative and construct the curriculum that works best for you!  One good thing about TC is that you're not confined to departments or traditional courses.  My home department within MST is Tech & Media (with significant work in SciEd and ArtEd).

Right now, I'm working on my thesis.  I'm on my way out.  I have to say: I had a great experience here.  As both a prospective & as a first year, I spoke to 2nd year students who recommended specific professors.  So, I always signed up for the best.  I got my (high paying) part-time job last year from my department's network.  I got another part-time job (on campus/in my department) the following term working with a professor.  I'm launching my full-time/post-grad job search using contacts from campus job fairs and our department's network.  So far, so good.  

This is why you pay for TC.  Yeah, it's stingy...with a capital "S".  No, all things are NOT roses here (there are some boring classes, some crummy students, some crummy teachers).  If you choose to come here, you need to do so with your eyes open & talk to your "elders" to help you navigate this place and make the most of it.  Beyond applying aggressively for fellowships and grants, you can't do anything about the money.  But, with a head's up, you can avoid the crummy classes and take the good ones.  With creativity, you can fulfill your elective requirement with classes outside of TC (I took more science across the street; some people take business classes) and independent studies in other departments (or your own).  In my department, your part-time job or internship can count for credit, if you don't get paid.  Look into all options.  If you're in MST, for example, you can join a lab.  If you're in any department, you can do research with a professor. 

TC is a huge school.  It's easy to get lost in the sauce, especially if you're part-time.  There are people here who are quite dissatisfied (understandably so).  There are also folks who are quite happy (very possible with a little "elbow grease").  This place really is what you make of it.  

Note: This is my second grad degree; I'm not sure I would've been as adept at navigating TC if I had enrolled fresh out of my small, liberal arts college.  Good luck to all!