Interview Attire

whatsaname

What are people's thoughts about wearing dark coloured (black) tights under a black dress/skirt for business formal interviews? I have nude coloured pantyhose, but I usually wear black, and I'm worried that this may be too much black with the blazer, dress, and heels. 

I think if they're more on the sheer side it would not look too black (e.g.https://goo.gl/images/DaLIky).

12 minutes ago, FacelessMage said:

What are people's thoughts about wearing dark coloured (black) tights under a black dress/skirt for business formal interviews? I have nude coloured pantyhose, but I usually wear black, and I'm worried that this may be too much black with the blazer, dress, and heels. 

56 minutes ago, FacelessMage said:

Only one of the schools I am interviewing at has explicitly told me that the dress code is business formal, after they had let me know a few weeks before that it was going to be business casual, so I had to make a few changes. Anyway, all my interviews are at really cold places (compared to AZ), so I'll be wearing black tights because they're significantly warmer. This is with a black pencil skirt/blazer/heels combo but with a colored blouse. I also bought nude pantyhose just in case, I just rather not risk being uncomfortably cold. 

Hi everyone! I'm planning to wear a blazer and business casual dress in dark colors. I will be going on a tour for part of interview day, and my most comfortable pair of heels is a not-too-bright, but not-really-dark pink color. I wouldn't say it stands out normally, but it probably will with my outfit and other interviewees' attire. But, I want to wear heels because I'm pretty short and wearing heels always boosts my confidence :rolleyes:

Should I go with the pink heels or just be conservative? I can probably wear a black pair but not as comfy and the heels clink somewhat loudly.. thanks all and best of luck w/ interviews! 

It's kind of hard to say without seeing the color. Can you link an image of the color the shoes are? 

9 minutes ago, elle01 said:

Hi everyone! I'm planning to wear a blazer and business casual dress in dark colors. I will be going on a tour for part of interview day, and my most comfortable pair of heels is a not-too-bright, but not-really-dark pink color. I wouldn't say it stands out normally, but it probably will with my outfit and other interviewees' attire. But, I want to wear heels because I'm pretty short and wearing heels always boosts my confidence :rolleyes:

Should I go with the pink heels or just be conservative? I can probably wear a black pair but not as comfy and the heels clink somewhat loudly.. thanks all and best of luck w/ interviews! 

3 hours ago, elle01 said:

A pop of color (if its not extremely bright or gaudy) tends to be fine - I actually think accent belts, a nice scarf, or blazer is good especially if interviewing in dreary northeast weather. If you can link a picture that would help but I would advise you to wear the more comfortable one. Its a long day and you have enough on your plate with interviewing to be distracted by hurt toes...

3 hours ago, 8BitJourney said:

A pop of color (if its not extremely bright or gaudy) tends to be fine - I actually think accent belts, a nice scarf, or blazer is good especially if interviewing in dreary northeast weather. If you can link a picture that would help but I would advise you to wear the more comfortable one. Its a long day and you have enough on your plate with interviewing to be distracted by hurt toes...

Agreed. A bit of color or conversation-starting piece of jewelry  in an otherwise conservative outfit shows confidence IMHO.

On 1/17/2017 at 6:37 AM, psycgrad08 said:

What about tattoos? I'm torn about whether or not to cover mine up.

My two most visible are a sleeve and one across my chest below my collarbones. On one hand I don't want to do anything that might tip the scales against me but then on the other if I get accepted they'll be seeing them anyways (but I guess then it won't matter as much because I'll be in). Both of these tattoos are very intricate, delicate and black/grey with thin lines. I already work in a professional field and they have never been an issue. 

I'm applying to schools in Canada that I've heard aren't as conservative as others. 

I feel like I have three options:

1. Cover them up completely with clothing and even buy tattoo cover up make-up

2. Cover them at least for the most part with clothing so can only see hints of tattoos

3. Not make any effort to hide them but obviously still dress business formal 

does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this? 

I'm in a different field but I also have a visible sleeve tattoo down to my wrist bone.  My plan is to cover it for the interview  - I have a habit of pushing sleeves up to mid-forearm, so I'll be careful to get a tightly-buttoned-at-the-wrist shirt and try to stay modest about it during my time on campus.   But I'm not going to stress about it too much.  If they can't handle a tattoo, they for sure can't handle my radical politics. :)

On 1/20/2017 at 1:05 PM, 8BitJourney said:

On 1/20/2017 at 4:37 PM, Louvre said:

Agreed. A bit of color or conversation-starting piece of jewelry  in an otherwise conservative outfit shows confidence IMHO.

Very glad that others share this view! Thoughts on a navy blazer, white shift dress, and pink heels? I laid out my options yesterday and that's my ideal outfit but I could swap the white dress for a black one (though it's more boring) 

I feel silly thinking so much about clothes; I'm def preparing for the speaking portion of the interview though ^_^

On 1/18/2017 at 9:25 PM, FacelessMage said:

I would go with the nude, as everything else is black. Hard to say without seeing the outfit (because the textures/materials make a difference), but I would be safe with the nude. 

26 minutes ago, elle01 said:

Very glad that others share this view! Thoughts on a navy blazer, white shift dress, and pink heels? I laid out my options yesterday and that's my ideal outfit but I could swap the white dress for a black one (though it's more boring) 

I feel silly thinking so much about clothes; I'm def preparing for the speaking portion of the interview though ^_^

I'm not a fashionista but from what I've seen its best to stick with 2 'colors'. So 1 is shades of one color and then the other choice is a pop color. So 'grey+black+white' would be one and then say a 'bright pink'. If you have a navy blazer then I would say go for black dress/or a grey steely colour might work as well. If you still want to do the blue+white+pink do you have any accessories that can go with the pink heels or blue blazer like a nice thin belt (blazer color) or necklace (shoe color)?

btw i'm completely overthinking this! As long as you look presentable minor touches and wardrobe matching will probably go over your POIs head :D

What do people think about a pink shirt with black pants and a black blazer? 
this is the shirt: 
http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/tsYAAOSwAKxWVgiA/s-l225.jpg

also the blazer has sheer sleeves made out of a chiffon-type material. that wouldn't be a problem, would it? I want to wear clothes I feel good in and I do have a traditional blazer but the fit feels awkward. 

Edited by 01848p

7 hours ago, 8BitJourney said:

I'm not a fashionista but from what I've seen its best to stick with 2 'colors'. So 1 is shades of one color and then the other choice is a pop color. So 'grey+black+white' would be one and then say a 'bright pink'. If you have a navy blazer then I would say go for black dress/or a grey steely colour might work as well. If you still want to do the blue+white+pink do you have any accessories that can go with the pink heels or blue blazer like a nice thin belt (blazer color) or necklace (shoe color)?

btw i'm completely overthinking this! As long as you look presentable minor touches and wardrobe matching will probably go over your POIs head :D

Haha, thank you!! Good advice about the 2-color rule, I'll think about that. Who knew this would require so much thought :lol:

On 1/22/2017 at 2:02 PM, 01848p said:

What do people think about a pink shirt with black pants and a black blazer? 
this is the shirt: 
http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/tsYAAOSwAKxWVgiA/s-l225.jpg

also the blazer has sheer sleeves made out of a chiffon-type material. that wouldn't be a problem, would it? I want to wear clothes I feel good in and I do have a traditional blazer but the fit feels awkward. 

I actually really like that outfit. I'm a fan of the color pink though, and don't understand conservative pantsuits. 

1 hour ago, elle01 said:

I actually really like that outfit. I'm a fan of the color pink though, and don't understand conservative pantsuits. 

Thanks! And me neither, they just feel stuffy and I never feel confident in them 

1 hour ago, juhidee119 said:

What's appropriate for a "casual dinner" or social? I was thinking a dress with leggings and boots. But I'm not sure? Should I still be decked out in my blazer? 

If sleeveless I say wear the blazer. If sleeved you don't need to. But the rest of your outfit sounds fine (as long as the dress is modest in length and not mesh/sheer/leather XD)

41 minutes ago, 8BitJourney said:

If sleeveless I say wear the blazer. If sleeved you don't need to. But the rest of your outfit sounds fine (as long as the dress is modest in length and not mesh/sheer/leather XD)

The leather part made me LOL. Sleeved dress, paisley design and goes down to right above my knee, opaque leggings. I think that should be fine. 

First interview is in a week and trying to work out all the details and trying not to be too nervous :/ It's an all day thing with luncheons and dinners and socials and I'm naturally introverted. 

3 minutes ago, juhidee119 said:

The leather part made me LOL. Sleeved dress, paisley design and goes down to right above my knee, opaque leggings. I think that should be fine. 

First interview is in a week and trying to work out all the details and trying not to be too nervous :/ It's an all day thing with luncheons and dinners and socials and I'm naturally introverted. 

Sounds fine to me. I'm aiming for a similar outfit.

I feel your pain. I'm an introvert as well and these things make me feel tired as well but remember: you know what you know better than anyone :) Speak on that. And what you don't know its fine to admit you don't as long as you phrase it as a future learning opportunity (even in social situations).

3 minutes ago, 8BitJourney said:

Sounds fine to me. I'm aiming for a similar outfit.

I feel your pain. I'm an introvert as well and these things make me feel tired as well but remember: you know what you know better than anyone :) Speak on that. And what you don't know its fine to admit you don't as long as you phrase it as a future learning opportunity (even in social situations).

Do women usually carry purses at interviews? I have two options. One is a small cross-body bag that only has space for basics/essential items. The other is a proper purse large enough to fit a laptop, notebook, folio, umbrella, etc. I don't really like carrying a purse but I'd rather not be the only person without one!

5 minutes ago, 01848p said:

Do women usually carry purses at interviews? I have two options. One is a small cross-body bag that only has space for basics/essential items. The other is a proper purse large enough to fit a laptop, notebook, folio, umbrella, etc. I don't really like carrying a purse but I'd rather not be the only person without one!

I've been taking like a leather tote type bag that one might take to work. It's definitely professional looking and something you would carry a laptop, notebook etc. in. I can't recall specifically, but I think other women had similar bags.