Fall 2017 Theatre and Performance Studies PhDs

lemonboo

10 hours ago, MilesToGo said:

But they were accepting applications!!? How strange and how irritating! :( 

Maybe they would have if they got an application that blew them away or something.  It mentions they expect to be taking MA and PhD candidates the next year, though. 

Hi All-

Not sure why I didn't think of looking here earlier (as an alternative to obsessively checking the results board). I submitted 6 apps this year, have heard back from 3 (rejections from Berkeley and Northwestern, interview at the CUNY Grad Center) and am anxiously awaiting the other three (Brown, NYU, Stanford).

Has anyone heard anything from those last three?

Gamb1t Sorry to hear about Oregon and Pitt. I'm continuing to root for you to find a place that'll feel awesome for you.

Humbert. I only applied to Brown of those three schools and haven't heard from them yet.

8 hours ago, humbert said:

Hi All-

Not sure why I didn't think of looking here earlier (as an alternative to obsessively checking the results board). I submitted 6 apps this year, have heard back from 3 (rejections from Berkeley and Northwestern, interview at the CUNY Grad Center) and am anxiously awaiting the other three (Brown, NYU, Stanford).

Has anyone heard anything from those last three?

Hey! I'm all the same - no, a bit worse: I have rejections from Berkeley and Northwestern too, waiting to hear from Brown, NYU, Stanford, PLUS Cornell, UC Davis and Maryland, no interviews, nothing.

I guess Stanford must have given out interview invitations, as the website said 'end of January'. I wrote to the graduate office, but no reply. Brown Graduate Office wrote a few days ago to say that they have not started making decisions. NYU - I read in the previous year's thread that results come out mid-March, so may be we shouldn't worry about that yet!? 

How did your CUNY interview go? 

MilesToGo: It went well, I think. It was less of an interview and more of a meet and greet. It sounded like they had already made a list and wanted to meet those people, answer any questions, etc. before they extended invites. I'm not counting my chickens though...

Other than that, I'll just continue to wait.

The streak is over!  After three consecutive rejections, I got an acceptance letter from Binghamton University today.  Very good research fit there, but I'm still going to have to wait and see what other offers (if any) come in, and what Binghamton's funding package is.

17 hours ago, Gamb1t said:

The streak is over!  After three consecutive rejections, I got an acceptance letter from Binghamton University today.  Very good research fit there, but I'm still going to have to wait and see what other offers (if any) come in, and what Binghamton's funding package is.

Great to hear that! Congratulations!!! I feel more positive with this news!

Btw, no interview?

@Gamb1t That is such awesome news!!  Congratulations. I'm sure more good news will come your way pretty shortly. 

Sorry to the bearer of bad news for all the Stanford hopefuls: I was at an interview this weekend and two people I met were at Stanford's interview last weekend. There were 9 people invited out for 3 spots. The Stanford ship has sailed.  Fingers crossed for all!

Hello all,

I hope it’s not too late to join this thread! My research interests include: Burning Man, feminist performance art, cross-genre and “performative” writing, and feminist/queer theory (including French feminist post-structuralist thought). I’m also curious about how theory and praxis can inform each other, and would also like to explore the relationship between scholarship and mask work, shamanistic/spiritual emergence practices, and intermedia performance.

I’ve applied to 3 programs - Northwestern (Performance Studies), USC (Literature/Creative Writing), and UCI (Drama). Unfortunately, I didn’t get into the first 2. I interviewed for the 3rd, but no word yet about their decision. It looks like I may need to go for a 2nd round of applications (and apply to a few other programs) next year.

What’s helping you to get through this waiting period?

Hope all is well with you. Thanks for the support!! :-)

- starsloth

1 hour ago, starsloth said:

What’s helping you to get through this waiting period?

Well, I have watched all 17 seasons of Law and Order: SVU (and all 10 of Criminal Intent).  I've also been working on a new full-length play (satire) about an LGBTQ wedding that triggers the apocalypse, much to the delight of a fanatical right-wing Southern State Senator.  Other than that, I've consumed an absurd amount of Scotch and buried my head in my last production role at my current university:  Costume Design for Endgame.

Edited by Gamb1t
typo

Hi! Am so happy to join the thread! 

Does anyone hear back from Cornell? Their graduate director told me they will send admission status within two weeks on 2/8, but until now I didn't receive any notification. Does any one have the clue? 

Thanks! 

@MilesToGo That's a good strategy - going about work as usual. I guess what I'm trying to figure out right now is whether to focus on reading to prepare for the start of school, or studying to retake the GRE for next year. I've been out of school for a few years so I need to retune my brain (also, to make the transition from creative writing to academic writing).

What does it mean when one has had an interview but did not receive an offer nor rejection after (application is still under active consideration)? Could I be on an internal waitlist? 

10 hours ago, XTgo said:

Hi! Am so happy to join the thread! 

Does anyone hear back from Cornell? Their graduate director told me they will send admission status within two weeks on 2/8, but until now I didn't receive any notification. Does any one have the clue? 

Thanks! 

I spoke to Cornell yesterday about including them on my itinerary for a visitation road trip I am taking at the end of the month.  The DGS responded to me this morning to let me know they have already offered to both of their selected candidates, as well as the three who were chosen for the waitlist. So it appears that ship has sailed, as well.  He said no official rejection notifications have been distributed yet. That doesn't align with what Miles' freind said, but it is directly from Dr. Feldshuh.

@XTgo - I have no idea when they come up with results etc. and why they keep people hanging instead of just letting them know something - accepted/rejected/wait-listed. When I was applying for masters in the UK, I remember, they mailed me at different stages (all except Exeter, who accepted after ages and without an interview)... I think I made some serious mistake somewhere in the applications this time :/

Hope you hear positively from UCLA