2 hours ago, Tshskespeare said:

It's good because you're in a school setting, you get to be a part of research, and you get a bit more exposure to students. It would look good on your resume I guess too. It is a lot more work, though. You also are required to volunteer at the school. I want to do it but it might not be something everyone is into. 

Hmmm I probably won't do it because of the "more work" aspect, though it does sound nice. I'm just so drained right now...... I don't want to give myself extra work. Maybe after having this summer off I will feel differently in September!

15 minutes ago, cutekittens said:

Hmmm I probably won't do it because of the "more work" aspect, though it does sound nice. I'm just so drained right now...... I don't want to give myself extra work. Maybe after having this summer off I will feel differently in September!

That makes sense. I have a masters degree already so I really enjoy the research aspects that it offers but I totally get your point. I think the applications start in may and you're sorted into your cohort and have a meet and greet with them in June. 

1 minute ago, Tshskespeare said:

That makes sense. I have a masters degree already so I really enjoy the research aspects that it offers but I totally get your point. I think the applications start in may and you're sorted into your cohort and have a meet and greet with them in June. 

Oh okay, so this whole experience will be easier for you :) Lucky!

What is your other masters in?

Moderator note: Let's keep the discussion civil. TheGradCafe is a place for open discussion about graduate school applications and this can best happen when users do not mock each other's stats such as GPA. Similarly, as this is an open forum, comments telling another user to go away are also not appropriate. If this continues, there will be further actions on all users involved.

Remember, if you suspect someone is a troll, don't engage. Don't argue/fight back. Report them to us. The moderation team will deal with users acting inappropriately. We want to keep the discussion moving forward and fighting with trolls will just derail your thread further. Finally, if you really do not want to see another user's posts, you can use the "Ignore User" option.

20 minutes ago, cutekittens said:

Oh okay, so this whole experience will be easier for you :) Lucky!

What is your other masters in?

I don't know if it'll be easier. We'll see I guess!  My other masters is in English Literature. 

41 minutes ago, cutekittens said:

So have you decided on york/OISE? 

1 minute ago, Pidgey said:

So have you decided on york/OISE? 

I decided on OISE... my boss made it so easy for me. I kept comparing the 2 schools, but instead she gave me some good advice.

She told me to think about the moment that I got accepted to OISE (I cried like a baby), and think of the moment I got accepted to York (I didn't really care).

She also told me to think about all the time and different paths I have taken to get where I am today, and that it would make more sense just to get my masters now so that I do not worry about it later or regret later that I didn't do it now.

I might not ever want/need my masters in the future. Who knows. But if it is just an extra 4 months and $10,000, I might as well just do it now... So that's that!

7 minutes ago, Tshskespeare said:

I don't know if it'll be easier. We'll see I guess!  My other masters is in English Literature. 

Haha yes you will see! Oh if you already have a masters, that means you are probably older-ish, like me.

I'm 29 :o

3 minutes ago, cutekittens said:

Haha yes you will see! Oh if you already have a masters, that means you are probably older-ish, like me.

I'm 29 :o

I'm 25. I took a year off after high school and then have been working full time this year. The masters was only a year. 

1 minute ago, Tshskespeare said:

I'm 25. I took a year off after high school and then have been working full time this year. The masters was only a year. 

Oh okay, cool cool. Since you studied English, and you like research, I do think you will have an advantage. I consider myself to be a good writer, but I do not enjoy doing it. I much prefer other forms of evaluation such as tests, presentations etc.

I've been working at TD for 9 years.. that's why I'm drained hahaha

I took a 1 year leave of absence for the first year of the MT program so that I could adjust to it.

3 minutes ago, Tshskespeare said:

Thank you. Oh cool! Yeah, I totally get that. I work 6 days a week plus what  I have to take home so I'm so tired too! I'm going to try to take a few weeks off before the program starts I think! 

That's a good idea.... I did the same. My leave of absence starts at the end of July, so I have all of August to chill out.

4 minutes ago, cutekittens said:

Put in the request now?

Are you going to continue working that job during school?

I'm leaving the job. I just need to decide when. it won't be as busy in the summer so I don't think it'll be a problem. 

13 hours ago, Boabdil said:

4.0 last two years is not as impressive as 4.0 throughout. Don't try to brag about your grades if you hide half of your undergraduate  career. 

This was my post. You don't know me personally and what I was able to balance. And I never indicated anything about my first two years. I was just curious about what makes applicants competitive. And I did not think it was purely GPA that makes an applicant stand out. But sorry my GPA offended you. 

4 hours ago, Boabdil said:

Yeah, try telling that to Harvard law buddy. I have a solid GPA throughout, but I am not going around this site bragging about it. 

And "bragging" on this website gets me 0 benefit. You're not an employer or school assessing my application. Like I said, I was just wondering what was competitive for this program. 

Edit: And let's ignore that you did the exact same thing:

Edited by ALk94

4 minutes ago, Tshskespeare said:

I'm leaving the job. I just need to decide when. it won't be as busy in the summer so I don't think it'll be a problem. 

Oh okay.. I guess it is just a money vs. relaxation decision then hahaha

3 minutes ago, ALk94 said:

And "bragging" on this website gets me 0 benefit. You're not an employer or school assessing my application. Like I said, I was just wondering what was competitive for this program. 

Let's not worry about that person. We all know you are not bragging :)

I was at the meet and greet yesterday! The UTS cohort sounds pretty interesting. I'm considering applying to it. The community volunteer aspect and summer camp opportunity caught my attention. I would like to know more though, does anyone have any other info or links on the cohort?

3 minutes ago, ALk94 said:

I was at the meet and greet yesterday! The UTS cohort sounds pretty interesting. I'm considering applying to it. The community volunteer aspect and summer camp opportunity caught my attention. I would like to know more though, does anyone have any other info or links on the cohort?

Me too. I couldn't find anything. We'll get an email soon though. 

2 minutes ago, Tshskespeare said:

Me too. I couldn't find anything. We'll get an email soon though. 

I don't think I mentioned this before (bad memory), but when I asked if there will be any other 'meet and greet' opportunities in the near future, this is what I was told:

" We will be holding a Welcome in mid-June at which time we hope to have confirmed applicants cohorted.  We will also be sending additional communications from the program throughout the summer via email."