Tattoos in Academia?

WildeThing

This topic has been discussed quite a bit already, but I thought I'd add my little two cents.

Many of my professors have tattoos, one has several on both of his arms (along with piercings), and another has full sleeves on both arms. Strangely, both of them teach and do research related to pain, so I wonder what's up with that haha. Anyways, they're both amazing professors and their research is pretty well known in their fields. I'd say the trends are definitely changing when it comes to tattoos in the professional world, although we're still in the transition phase right now. So there are some areas where it's best to cover the tattoos. For the most part, especially in academia, people seem to be more lenient. They'd still probably like you to cover them during interviews or formal meetings or conferences, though. Just so it doesn't serve as a distraction (just like over accessorizing an outfit and whatnot). In those settings, you want people to focus on you and your work, not your outfit, hair, tattoos, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly,

it's going to depend on what you want to do- like what field or profession you want to go into. There are definitely options. For example, I have five tattoos; but they're in less visible places because some of the research and work I do is for higher levels of government. Eventually, when I get my PhD and begin teaching; I won't really have to cover up any of my tattoos. This probably isn't as helpful; but a lot of it is going to be relative to the type of company or business and the people who run them.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess there still are professions that have strict requierments (like bank workers, probably hotels and tourism). But i think as the time goes by and times change soon enough we won't care about being different that much (or it's just me living in the La-La-land :D) 

I think tattoos are interesting a some are beautiful, but I don't think they will be the norm in the business professional world for a long time.  But an accountant buddy of mine had a sleeve, and that was fine, because he could cover it up.  I didn't realize he had it until we had a service event and he wore a t-shirt.  The main thing is just to not tattoo places you can't cover up if you think you will ever work in a professional business setting or sales.

If you're interviewing for a job, you will be in a suit or a blazer. You will not be showing any of your tattoos unless you have one that's literally on your face. And if some shows despite a suit, then so be it. For the most part, the reason that tattoos are not looked favorably upon in the job market is not because of the tattoos in general, but because showing them visibly in an interview setting knowing that they might be frowned upon tends invite questions as to whether you're taking the job seriously. But as long as you prove yourself willing to follow interview norms and portray yourself as a dedicated professional, then the interviewer could really care less whether you're covered in tattoos. Once you're actually on the job, it also doesn't matter as much.

• 1 month later...

I think it depends on people.Some people prefer old school look and for them, the tattoo is something extra ordinary. I think there is no point to stress out about tattoos. The main point that you like them and feel confident having them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm in a lang & lit department in the PNW with multiple tattoos, three of which are easily visible (and one is almost impossible to cover, so I don't bother). I haven't received any comments or concerns about them in grad school, other than "hey that's cool, what does it mean" etc. My cohort isn't particularly an inked or pierced bunched, but I have noticed other grad students in my classes and service work, ranging from MA all the way to PhC, sport visible tattoos and piercings. No one made any comments about mine at our annual field conference and I've never been asked to cover them up, even when meeting donors or folks on the department's advisory board.

I don't think they negatively impacted my application season and I don't foresee them causing big issues in the future, though of course I could be wrong there. I'll be teaching more next year and I anticipate that most of my tats will be covered just by virtue of daily dress, but one is always visible. As I've had multiple professors this past year with visible tattoos, I'm not stressing about this too much.

Like any change in physical appearance it will probably feel a little weird or uncertain at first, but if you get something you like and that feels good the anxiety about whether your tats will be accepted or not does decrease.

• 1 month later...

I have a lower half sleeve on one arm plus a couple of other smaller tattoos on both arms and am actively knocking out my sleeve one piece at a time. I've never experienced a negative reaction to them by faculty, graduate students, or undergrads. If anything, I think the undergrads that I have taught previously tend to feel more comfortable around me because of them. I usually wear long-sleeve shirts around my department but have no problem walking around in a t-shirt as well. I've also taught in a t-shirt a few times due to the heat and had no problems. IMO, people who judge you because of your tattoos would judge you for something else even if you didn't have any ink. Tattoos just make it easier for people to judge you because they are easily visible, kind of like your skin color.

As someone who has no tattoos, I can tell you how I perceive them, or rather don't. Honestly, initial meetings you might see them, but once you get to know the person, you don't ever notice them again. Now it does matter what kind of tattoo you have, and where its located. It's best to hide them during an interview or conference just for professional sake (same reason you shave, not that beards are bad, but just makes you look clean and professional). I knew a girl who had a big back tattoo, but it was  a very elegant trinity tattoo, so I actually think it went very nicely with the dresses she wore at said events (although her back was to the people she was presenting to most of the time, so it didn't even matter). As long as its not an obscene tattoo, hide it initially, then when the people get to know you, go ahead and and feel free to show them.