Fall 2017 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

csot

1 minute ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

Not sure what your email said, but mine for Albany didn't leave me feeling particularly hopeful to get off it. Basically made me feel like the possibility was small.

I think I am high on the waitlist, the letter says "Based on past acceptance rates and your place in the pool, there is a good chance you will receive a funding offer".

Just now, Schwein said:

I think I am high on the waitlist, the letter says "Based on past acceptance rates and your place in the pool, there is a good chance you will receive a funding offer".

Ya, mine doesn't say that. I got, " As prospective students make decisions about what program to enroll in, it is possible that funding lines will open up. If that happens, we may return to this group to make additional funding offers. "

1 minute ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

Ya, mine doesn't say that. I got, " As prospective students make decisions about what program to enroll in, it is possible that funding lines will open up. If that happens, we may return to this group to make additional funding offers. "

Well! there is still chance! Anyway! Being on the waitlist makes me sleepless! Good luck to you.

8 hours ago, HighlyCaffeinated said:

A surprising amount of schools don't have the day off.  There will likely be less news, but still a substantive amount. 

Has anyone noticed days of the week in which news is more likely?

Harvard is closed for Observance but Yale is not . I checked the school's academic calendars. 

Sorry to post this again, but has anyone who applied but was not accepted to UW Seattle heard anything? Usually by this time there have been at least some rejections and waitlist notifications. I have no idea if I should assume waitlist or rejection at this point.

Edited by demog

5 minutes ago, Spirits of Lavender said:

My portal reflected the change! I'd login in and then "Check Status of Applicational Materials," which is listed on the right. 

My portal still says "applied." Maybe I should e-mail them? 

Edited by LAG6

20 minutes ago, LAG6 said:

My portal still says "applied." Maybe I should e-mail them? 

Mine still says "applied" as well. It's possible that this means we are on the waitlist. I also haven't heard of any acceptances yet. It might be worth waiting and seeing what happens tomorrow when the school is open again (even though the wait is terrible). Best of luck!

I am lucky enough to live in the same city as an institution where I was waitlisted. The professor who emailed me about the waitlist wanted to meet in person to "chat about the program." I am scheduled to drop by during his office hours tomorrow.

First, I am unsure what to wear. If it was an interview I would wear a suit, but considering it was framed as a more informal chat during his office hours, I am leaning more towards showing up in something more business casual (I.e. Nice  black knee-length skirt, nice top, maybe a white blazer). Does that seem like the right choice to you guys? Should I go more or less formal?

I was also a little surprised he offered to meet during his office hours. His initial email sounded very interested, but meeting during office hours kind of feels like an afterthought to me. Is that a bad sign or am I over thinking things? My guess is he is busy with midterms coming up etc, but I can't help but over analyze with how anxiouse this whole application process is making me.

Any recommendations or thoughts on the issue would be greatly appreciated <3

3 minutes ago, baozi said:

I am lucky enough to live in the same city as an institution where I was waitlisted. The professor who emailed me about the waitlist wanted to meet in person to "chat about the program." I am scheduled to drop by during his office hours tomorrow.

First, I am unsure what to wear. If it was an interview I would wear a suit, but considering it was framed as a more informal chat during his office hours, I am leaning more towards showing up in something more business casual (I.e. Nice  black knee-length skirt, nice top, maybe a white blazer). Does that seem like the right choice to you guys? Should I go more or less formal?

I was also a little surprised he offered to meet during his office hours. His initial email sounded very interested, but meeting during office hours kind of feels like an afterthought to me. Is that a bad sign or am I over thinking things? My guess is he is busy with midterms coming up etc, but I can't help but over analyze with how anxiouse this whole application process is making me.

Any recommendations or thoughts on the issue would be greatly appreciated <3

I would probably do like black pants and a nice top but I tend to be more comfortable when I'm more casual, you should wear something that you feel awesome in and if it's a skirt and a white blazer then that's the way you should go. I would take it as a great sign that he wants to meet at all. Knowing that professors oftentimes have weekly office hours that students rarely show up to, that might have just been a time he knew he would be around and free. Just dazzle him with your sociological knowledge. Good luck!

2 hours ago, demog said:

Sorry to post this again, but has anyone who applied but was not accepted to UW Seattle heard anything? Usually by this time there have been at least some rejections and waitlist notifications. I have no idea if I should assume waitlist or rejection at this point.

I haven't heard anything from them at all. 

Has anyone heard from George Mason, and if so was there any word on funding? I just got accepted to George Mason University's PhD Sociology program but did not receive any word on funding. Is there anyone else who got accepted to their PhD prgram and did or did not receive word on funding? This is too early in the process for them to admit people without funding (applications were due January 15, 2017), so I hope funding is included in this acceptance.

Edited by inooradd

14 minutes ago, inooradd said:

Has anyone heard from George Mason, and if so was there any word on funding? I just got accepted to George Mason University's PhD Sociology program but did not receive any word on funding. Is there anyone else who got accepted to their PhD prgram and did or did not receive word on funding? This is too early in the process for them to admit people without funding (applications were due January 15, 2017), so I hope funding is included in this acceptance.

In my experience so far its common to accept you with funding pending, so they can let you know ASAP that they want you and then they process and the funding etc. Other schools wait until funding info and then accept you. It just depends.

39 minutes ago, limonchello said:

In my experience so far its common to accept you with funding pending, so they can let you know ASAP that they want you and then they process and the funding etc. Other schools wait until funding info and then accept you. It just depends.

Ah! That makes sense. I contacted them and they said they will alert me of funding in the next few weeks. They mentioned they wanted to let me know immediately. So I guess this is a way of side stepping the elaborate process to grab me quickly?

thanks for the informative reply!

2 minutes ago, inooradd said:

Ah! That makes sense. I contacted them and they said they will alert me of funding in the next few weeks. They mentioned they wanted to let me know immediately. So I guess this is a way of side stepping the elaborate process to grab me quickly?

thanks for the informative reply!

Exactly! I'm glad I could help, I'm in the same situation waiting for news on funding from New Mexico, but from what I've seen its often done backwards as well. Good luck!

1 hour ago, inooradd said:

I was accepted into the PhD program with word on funding. I sent a followup e-mail but guess I should have checked GradCafe first! 

2 minutes ago, bobolaba said:

I was accepted into the PhD program with word on funding. I sent a followup e-mail but guess I should have checked GradCafe first! 

With word? Or without word? 

If word, what did they say?

10 minutes ago, limonchello said:

Exactly! I'm glad I could help, I'm in the same situation waiting for news on funding from New Mexico, but from what I've seen its often done backwards as well. Good luck!

Congratulations on New Mexico!! It's good to see this is a common experience. I'm leaving a cushy research job for this. Gotta have funding to pull me from a salary with benefits!

3 minutes ago, inooradd said:

Congratulations on New Mexico!! It's good to see this is a common experience. I'm leaving a cushy research job for this. Gotta have funding to pull me from a salary with benefits!

I hope funding comes through! based on this page, http://www.phdstipends.com/results, it looks like it has been around $19k in the past which is quite low for the DC area I believe. Hopefully there's been improvement since 2014!

It looks like there have been two acceptances for UConn on the results page, but has anyone here had any acceptances/rejections?  I have not heard back personally... hoping to this week in order to make a decision with another school ASAP.

42 minutes ago, chrisblack said:

It looks like there have been two acceptances for UConn on the results page, but has anyone here had any acceptances/rejections?  I have not heard back personally... hoping to this week in order to make a decision with another school ASAP.

Check through this forum, there were folks talking about the cohort of 8 for UConn. 

52 minutes ago, chrisblack said:

I got accepted to UConn on Feb 2!