Fall 2017 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

csot

10 hours ago, demog said:

Sorry to post this again, but has anyone who applied but was not accepted to UW Seattle heard anything? Usually by this time there have been at least some rejections and waitlist notifications. I have no idea if I should assume waitlist or rejection at this point.

I am in the same boat, just waiting. It seems like last year they sent them in waves, but it's been weeks since anyone has posted an acceptance from then...

On February 13, 2017 at 7:12 PM, bobolaba said:

Someone want to claim the northeastern acceptance? 

I got into Northeastern last week. I know it's a great program for environmental sociology and I will be at the visit day, but that said i am not at all enthusiastic about the idea of moving to Boston...

has anyone else been accepted to northeastern sociology phd? have not seen many other posts about it.

3 hours ago, cgraham44 said:

I am in the same boat, just waiting. It seems like last year they sent them in waves, but it's been weeks since anyone has posted an acceptance from then...

I am also waiting on UW sociology...I figure rejection or wait listed at this point. 

Edited by gp914

20 hours ago, selfservingbias said:

Mine still says "applied" as well. It's possible that this means we are on the waitlist. I also haven't heard of any acceptances yet. It might be worth waiting and seeing what happens tomorrow when the school is open again (even though the wait is terrible). Best of luck!

I received an e-mail this morning to check the portal and mine still says applied as well. 

25 minutes ago, conquistadora said:

I received an e-mail this morning to check the portal and mine still says applied as well. 

Same! The email says the decision letter will be made available within 1-2 business days. Shouldn't they send the email AFTER the letter is available? Sigh. This process....

36 minutes ago, selfservingbias said:

Same! The email says the decision letter will be made available within 1-2 business days. Shouldn't they send the email AFTER the letter is available? Sigh. This process....

I agree. It seems this letter has gone out to quite a few people. There have been a few reports of people being wait listed, but no acceptances yet to my understanding. I am not very hopeful though and my guess is rejection. I hope I am wrong!

4 minutes ago, conquistadora said:

I agree. It seems this letter has gone out to quite a few people. There have been a few reports of people being wait listed, but no acceptances yet to my understanding. I am not very hopeful though and my guess is rejection. I hope I am wrong! 

4 minutes ago, conquistadora said:

I am feeling the same way. Fingers crossed for all of us left in limbo! :) 

35 minutes ago, conquistadora said:

I got the e-mail too... Starting to get really irritated. 

Just a side conversation: 

I know we're all anticipating responses from different schools, however, for those that have received an acceptance letter would you mind sharing your background? 

U.G. Type - Small Liberal Arts Program 

Graduate Type - In The Field 

GRE Scores - 

and Research Background/Publications if any. 

Also, if you reached out to a professor. 

I am just curious at the range of acceptances at different schools. 

10 hours ago, gp914 said:

I got into Northeastern last week. I know it's a great program for environmental sociology and I will be at the visit day, but that said i am not at all enthusiastic about the idea of moving to Boston...

has anyone else been accepted to northeastern sociology phd? have not seen many other posts about it.

Hi, congrats on your acceptance! I applied to a different program there (crim) but I'm interested in hearing why you're not that interested in moving to Boston? 

Edited by a little-stitious

13 hours ago, cgraham44 said:

Are you considering contacting them or just waiting it out?

47 minutes ago, selfservingbias said:

Called the graduate school office and asked for an update. Rejected. Not surprised at this point, but still bummed. Congrats to those admitted! 

Just did the same. Also rejected, told it was due to the huge amount of applicants. 

33 minutes ago, Planner101 said:

Just a side conversation: 

I know we're all anticipating responses from different schools, however, for those that have received an acceptance letter would you mind sharing your background? 

U.G. Type - Small Liberal Arts Program 

Graduate Type - In The Field 

GRE Scores - 

and Research Background/Publications if any. 

Also, if you reached out to a professor. 

I am just curious at the range of acceptances at different schools. 

I applied to Tier 1, 2, and 3 universities. I have my BA and MA in Sociology. My GRE scores were V154/Q153/W3.5 (not the best and I've taken 8 times). I have six years of research experience, a few co-authored publications, and two years of experience teaching my own classes.

I reached out to only the professors in the Tier 1 universities, and shared how my research interests relate to theirs, and how we would be mutually beneficial. Upenn and UT Austin basically told me they cant speak with me as it would be unfair to other applicants, UMD ambiguously responded, avoiding the question of whether or not they would be interested in working with me, and Chicago totally ignored me. UC Irvine was the only university who expressed an interest in working with me. Despite this, none of this worked in my favour.

So far only 1 university accepted me. It is frustrating, to say the least.

What about yourself?

1 hour ago, selfservingbias said:

Called the graduate school office and asked for an update. Rejected. Not surprised at this point, but still bummed. Congrats to those admitted! 

I'm scared to do this... because UMass Amherst looks like it owns. I mean one of their faculty members is a frequent contributor to Jacobin for god's sake

OH COME ON PEOPLE ALSO GOT RESULTS FROM SANTA CRUZ?? THEY HAVEN'T SENT ME ANYTHING *cries*

Edited by Worktime Calzone

15 hours ago, draco.malfoy said:

I am sort of surprised Michigan has waited this long to admit. Last year they admitted the first week of February. If it's anything like last year, Northwestern should've admitted last week, but no results went up? Right?

Michigan took too many Soc PhD students last year, so I've heard they're only going to take a few students and that's why it's taking them longer to decide.

58 minutes ago, Planner101 said:

I applied to Tier 1 ONLY (this was a mainly due to deadlines). I have a BS in Public Policy and Masters in City Planning and another MA in Sociology. My GRE scores were           V150/Q151/W4.0 (I took the test 5 years ago after preparing for the former exam and testing on the new format). I should have retaken it this year but I just tossed my hat in the ring at the last minute honestly. I have a decent thesis, multiple conference presentations from undergrad, and a few years of work experience which may balance me out. 

I didn't reach out to any professors. However, I contacted the graduate office and spoke with two or three students from one program because I have a few friends studying there. The confusing thing is that the application ask if you communicated with anyone but it appears that it's frowned upon so I didn't want to schmooze especially with my scores. BUT my research background PERFECTLY aligns with a few profs and this alone made former colleagues of mine recommend the program. 

While I am not expecting a favorable outcome (at that level) I'll at least know what to look for in future admission cycles. 

Your background sounds wonderful. Are you getting any bites? If not, it sounds like the GRE scores may be doing you a disservice. I even reached out to a few programs to "implore" them to view my application despite my GRE scores. I know they are use a filtering system, which may not be fair for someone like you or me. 

59 minutes ago, inooradd said:

Your background sounds wonderful. Are you getting any bites? If not, it sounds like the GRE scores may be doing you a disservice. I even reached out to a few programs to "implore" them to view my application despite my GRE scores. I know they are use a filtering system, which may not be fair for someone like you or me. 

I haven't received any bites from the two programs but I wish I had time to apply to at least eight. I agree my GRE scores SUCK. I am hoping my grades and overall research interest and background can support the application. I once heard that departments often have their hands tied by the graduate schools with minimum GRE requirements. 

It does suck but next year, I hope to add a publication and stronger GRE to the mix of things. Only God knows the answer at this time.