Fall 2017 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

csot

10 minutes ago, DJSchiff said:

Any word from Columbia or Upenn? I'm assuming I've either been wait listed or rejected, but I'd still like confirmation.

No word from Penn, sadly. I heard back from Columbia about a week ago with a rejection from PhD program and acceptance to MA.

9 minutes ago, DJSchiff said:

Any word from Columbia or Upenn? I'm assuming I've either been wait listed or rejected, but I'd still like confirmation.

I'm so confused about Columbia because it looks like they didn't send out very many acceptances? But by this time last year they had sent them all out, so did they just accept less? They did rejections Feb. 26th last year- so maybe early next week.

16 hours ago, Jessica80 said:

I am. I live in Baltimore and have worked part-time with the department over the last year. Faculty were very encouraging about my prospects there, so I was pretty surprised to be waitlisted. One of my POIs replied to the Department Chair's email telling me that funding is especially tight this year and they won't know for a week or more if they'll be able to make more offers. Happy to answer any other Qs but that's about all I know.

So does that mean that the department has sent out all their offers (or their first wave)? Or you just found out you were waitlisted because of your connections in the department? 

Congrats on Cornell! You have a great option no matter what happens with Hopkins, Penn, and Harvard.

Unsuccessful applications this year so far (Only tier 1 schools and Alma Mater). Graduating undergraduate applicants from program ranked 50-100. GRE V156 Q165 AW4.0 in one attempt. Lots of research experience with about $10,000 research funding in total and a senior thesis. Material reviewed and commented by four full professors and many others. Might end up in my Alma Mater for master. 

I think there should be a strategy change next time: for those who really want to go to tier 1 schools, I think it would be easier if you can get into any program (other than sociology, literally anyone) in that tier and approach professors from the inside. Just my personal opinion. 

Edited by shaodiao

18 minutes ago, bradley610 said:

Hey Amity. Just curious, but would you mind sharing your stats? I'm applying to some of the same schools and have similar concerns.

I don't remember the exact scores (I took them in 2014 and just didn't have the opportunity to take them again before this round of applications). My advisor said my writing and qualitative scores were not super competitive, but competitive enough for some schools. I am pretty sure they were somewhere between the 85th and 90th percentile, but my math score was atrocious (I could list a number of excuses as to why, but that isn't useful). I think they were somewhere around the 20th percentile, no lower, but probably not much higher than that. I am hoping my transcripts will negate the test score (received As in the math classes I took). 

49 minutes ago, demog said:

Those accepted to Washington, any idea if you plan to accept the offer? I've officially been waitlisted and this is my top/only/perfect choice so I am trying to get a read on my chances now.

@demog I don't want to give you false hope, but perhaps a sliver of it...I was accepted but am leaning more and more away from going. I've talked to a few students there and it seems like it's really not a good place to be right now, particularly for me (a WOC) and my interests (race/ethnicity-based).

25 minutes ago, socnewbie said:

@demog I don't want to give you false hope, but perhaps a sliver of it...I was accepted but am leaning more and more away from going. I've talked to a few students there and it seems like it's really not a good place to be right now, particularly for me (a WOC) and my interests (race/ethnicity-based).

Thanks for the detailed response. Since I'm coming from an MS program (and therefore applied to a specific advisor), I'm curious which areas/advisors the accepted applicants were aiming for. I'm unsure if it will take someone in my specific area turning down an offer or not. Anyone have any idea on how most schools go about it?

1 hour ago, Spirits of Lavender said:

Rejected from Michigan Ann Arbor. As sensitive a bean as I am I should not have checked my E-mail at work; I'm quite upset.

I feel for you. There's probably no good time of day to receive a rejection email, but I can tell you that receiving my waitlist email from Hopkins (which, given context of my relationship with the department, came as a surprise) last Tuesday at 9pm, when I was trying to wind down and go to bed early after staying up way too late the night before due to excessive caffeine intake during the day, messed ALL of that up. I was awake until 2 AM. I encourage you to reach out to friends, especially those who have been through this process before, if you have them!, to help yourself process and cope. 

1 minute ago, GvilleGirl said:

Won't let me add anything to the results list, but just was accepted to Northwestern! I guess they're starting to notify today! :)

Congratulations!! How were you notified? Has your online portal changed?

19 hours ago, sociologicals said:

Has anybody contacted Princeton? I feel like they would have contacted all admits by now, but they are also really delayed at sending out denials and there was only once acceptance posted on the results page. 

I'm still waiting on Princeton's JDP Sociology/Social Policy as well. Last year, it looks like most people were notified about both Sociology generally and the JDP on 2/15, so they're late this year. Sigh.

19 hours ago, nbc21 said:

Same thing with Harvard; anybody have any ideas? We've only had one confirmed acceptance there.

I posted the Harvard JDP rejection on Friday; I was notified by email, but I'm not sure how indicative the JDP decision-making/notification process is of the Sociology department generally. 

21 minutes ago, Jessica80 said:

I feel for you. There's probably no good time of day to receive a rejection email, but I can tell you that receiving my waitlist email from Hopkins (which, given context of my relationship with the department, came as a surprise) last Tuesday at 9pm, when I was trying to wind down and go to bed early after staying up way too late the night before due to excessive caffeine intake during the day, messed ALL of that up. I was awake until 2 AM. I encourage you to reach out to friends, especially those who have been through this process before, if you have them!, to help yourself process and cope. 

I've got a pretty good "no good time to receive" a rejection/waitlist email story. I had just spent all day last Friday traveling/attending my grandfather's funeral, burial, and a dinner with family. After a thoroughly emotionally exhausting day, I finally get back to my hotel room that night, lay down to relax, and decide to check my email...and see that I was waitlisted at my top choice. It was such terribly unfortunate timing. 

16 minutes ago, GvilleGirl said:

I can check my online portal in a minute but I was accepted via e-mail! They had a nice letter attached that was personalized :)

Thanks, and congrats again! It's a fantastic department. My online portal hasn't been updated... Anybody else get any news from NU?

1 hour ago, soci said:

So does that mean that the department has sent out all their offers (or their first wave)? Or you just found out you were waitlisted because of your connections in the department? 

Congrats on Cornell! You have a great option no matter what happens with Hopkins, Penn, and Harvard.

I'm inferring by the language of the dept. chair's email that they've extended the first wave of offers and possibly/probably? notified others of being "alternates" (that's the term they used, not wait list) as well. It is interesting to me that UPenn invited me to their prospective students visit day (not with a stipend, but still) and Hopkins did not.

Thank you! I am thrilled about Cornell; truly think it's the best place for me, and faculty have been so engaging in emails we've exchanged since my acceptance. Can hardly wait for the visit day on 3/13. Congratulations on your Penn State, Ohio State and Minnesota offers! Fantastic programs!

17 minutes ago, nbc21 said:

Thanks, and congrats again! It's a fantastic department. My online portal hasn't been updated... Anybody else get any news from NU?

I was just accepted to Northwestern as well! A first year fellowship was mentioned (TA/RA-ships to match the rest of the years) and one of NU's cluster fellowships. Visits are on 29/30 March. I second @Gvillegirl, they sent a lovely email. It came right after the Michigan denial, so it was a great pick-me-up!

4 minutes ago, theorynetworkculture said:

I was just accepted to Northwestern as well! A first year fellowship was mentioned (TA/RA-ships to match the rest of the years) and one of NU's cluster fellowships. Visits are on 29/30 March. I second @Gvillegirl, they sent a lovely email. It came right after the Michigan denial, so it was a great pick-me-up!

Congratulations! I was rejected, which was a bit of a shock, bc I did my undergrad there, am a great fit, and my work is reflective of my training in the department. But just goes to show that you can't count on anything.