csot

Fall 2017 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, Socbr said:

I called Harvard and they said that all acceptances have been sent.

All acceptances for the JDP program, right?  I don't think anything has gone out for the Sociology PhD program yet.

It is impossible to keep from checking my e-mail 10,000 times/day.  Waiting for 3 schools, including Harvard--I only applied to a handful of programs and am basically on edge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sasha Genius said:

All acceptances for the JDP program, right?  I don't think anything has gone out for the Sociology PhD program yet.

It is impossible to keep from checking my e-mail 10,000 times/day.  Waiting for 3 schools, including Harvard--I only applied to a handful of programs and am basically on edge.

Good luck!  I understand the email checking aspect.... I've found myself glued to my email for the last month!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, HighlyCaffeinated said:

Good luck!  I understand the email checking aspect.... I've found myself glued to my email for the last month!

Hmm. The Harvard acceptance posted on 2/14 (states via phone call) in Results didn't specify that it was for the Joint program, so I'm pretty sure it was for the Sociology PhD program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jessica80 said:

Hmm. The Harvard acceptance posted on 2/14 (states via phone call) in Results didn't specify that it was for the Joint program, so I'm pretty sure it was for the Sociology PhD program.

Ugh, I have convinced myself that the early Harvard poster is either a troll or meant to report an acceptance to the JDP and entered "Sociology" by mistake.  I am also hoping that the early Princeton poster falls under the "troll or mistake" category . . . . hope springs eternal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Schwein said:

Anybody claim the acceptance from Temple? Where on the portal did you find a decision has been made? My application status still says complete and ready for review

Hey Ya'll,

Long time lurker, first time posting. I can claim the Temple acceptance. When I checked my application portal, it read "Decision status: Decision made" and under Decision it read: "University Acceptance". A few days later I received an official letter in the mail from the Graduate school, but no word on advising or funding. It's my first acceptance, but it was also a strong fit. Still waiting to hear from: Princeton, UPenn, Columbia, NYU, Hopkins, UConn & Emory so if anyone has any inside details, please let me know. #waitinglife   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DrDay said:

Hey Ya'll,

Long time lurker, first time posting. I can claim the Temple acceptance. When I checked my application portal, it read "Decision status: Decision made" and under Decision it read: "University Acceptance". A few days later I received an official letter in the mail from the Graduate school, but no word on advising or funding. It's my first acceptance, but it was also a strong fit. Still waiting to hear from: Princeton, UPenn, Columbia, NYU, Hopkins, UConn & Emory so if anyone has any inside details, please let me know. #waitinglife   

UCONN already sent out their 8 acceptances weeks ago. No word on waitlists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, GvilleGirl said:

Thanks so much! I don't know whether to scream or cry or continue to just shake uncontrollably 

Congrats! May I ask who the email was from? Potential advisor, DGS, or did it seem automated? Can you also let us know visit weekend? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Worktime Calzone , 

I emailed Julie Bettie (Graduate Chair) of UCSC for a status update and received a rejection email within the hour from the Department of Graduate Studies. I doubt they went out as a batch, but check your email or maybe contact her? 

All the best luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, GvilleGirl said:

Just got an acceptance e-mail from Princeton!!!! So idk about those calls from Princeton/Harvard!

Amazing! Congratulations! Soak up ALL of the good feels! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, sociologicals said:

Congrats! May I ask who the email was from? Potential advisor, DGS, or did it seem automated? Can you also let us know visit weekend? 

Thank you so much everyone! Officially crying on the floor of my room in my fuzzy robe. Can't believe it. The e-mail was from the Grad Director Robert Wuthnow--who I also want as my potential adviser. If I'm looking at the right place on my portal, it still just says "submitted."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, limonchello said:

@Worktime Calzone , 

I emailed Julie Bettie (Graduate Chair) of UCSC for a status update and received a rejection email within the hour from the Department of Graduate Studies. I doubt they went out as a batch, but check your email or maybe contact her? 

All the best luck!

:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HighlyCaffeinated said:

I have heard from many professors that it's harder to be accepted into your alma matter.  I even heard one professor describe it as nepotism. :wacko:

That's actually kind of funny because I've yet to get accepted anywhere for sociology BUT my alma matter 🙃 Although in response to someone saying that it feels personal, I would say that it really just depends on who is on the admissions committee that year. It may or may not be someone who knows you or your work at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, PostmodernPendulum said:

That's actually kind of funny because I've yet to get accepted anywhere for sociology BUT my alma matter 🙃 Although in response to someone saying that it feels personal, I would say that it really just depends on who is on the admissions committee that year. It may or may not be someone who knows you or your work at all. 

Yeah, I second that. Last year's admissions committee was all people I knew/took classes with/wanted to work with; this year's was a different specialty entirely, even though my work is still within the purview of the department as a whole. Still stings, but I've got other places thankfully.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, montanem said:

Hey did anyone end up hearing from WSU?  @limonchello it looks like you are waitlisted?  How were you notified?  Thanks :)

I was impatient so I emailed Jennifer Sherman and she graciously let me know! 

She said "The admissions committee has made the first round of offers, and are waiting for responses from this group currently." And that I am 'high' on the list. I can send you the emails if you'd like! 

Edited by limonchello

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

Just got rejected at Stony Brook, after what I thought was a really good interview...

Bummer!

If you don't mind me asking, how did they notify you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now