Fall 2017 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

csot

Still no news at all from the Sociology Program at UPenn (I checked my application website but no rejection decision letter). Anyone in the same situation? I am thinking they somehow forgot to reject me, and am about to accept an offer from my second or third choice program.

6 hours ago, nanashinogonbei said:

Still no news at all from the Sociology Program at UPenn (I checked my application website but no rejection decision letter). Anyone in the same situation? I am thinking they somehow forgot to reject me, and am about to accept an offer from my second or third choice program.

This happened to me with Minnesota a few years ago. I called to find out I had been waitlisted. If you haven't heard anything, that might be the case and you should probably call.

9 hours ago, nanashinogonbei said:

I would agree. While I was hesitant to hear about other people calling early in the season, it is pretty late now. I think it is appropriate to call, and if you like UPenn's program more than other's I would not accept your offer until you hear a definitive answer back from Penn. 

10 hours ago, nanashinogonbei said:

I'm in the same situation; I'd be curious to know what you hear if you do decide to call. 

Congratulations on your other offer(s)!

On 18/2/2017 at 0:52 PM, ndrun said:

I applied! I haven't heard anything and based on past years they seem to send out decisions the first week of March (last year looks like the first acceptances were on March 3rd).

I'm waitlisted. Fingers crossed. Did you get news as well?

11 minutes ago, BiancaDelRio said:

I'm waitlisted. Fingers crossed. Did you get news as well?

I'm waitlisted too. Do you know anything about their waitlist process like if it's likely they'll even accept anyone off it?

2 hours ago, Highland Cow said:

Got an email from Columbia that I should apply for MA (rejected from PhD tho and not much monezz for MA) because they liked my profile. Am I the only one here? (just to see what this all means)

I got that email too, I was going to post the same thing. I'm wondering if they send it to everybody who didn't already have a MA but got rejected from the PhD program, or if I should look into it. It's not like it would cost anything for them to consider me and if I got in I wouldn't have to accept it obviously, I just can't afford to pay for a master's degree while also having no income for a year... which is why I applied to PhD programs and not MA programs... silly Columbia.

2 hours ago, sociologicalpizza said:

I got that email too, I was going to post the same thing. I'm wondering if they send it to everybody who didn't already have a MA but got rejected from the PhD program, or if I should look into it. It's not like it would cost anything for them to consider me and if I got in I wouldn't have to accept it obviously, I just can't afford to pay for a master's degree while also having no income for a year... which is why I applied to PhD programs and not MA programs... silly Columbia.

Did neither of you apply to MA while applying to the PhD? There was the option to apply to two programs. I did and found out a few weeks ago I was denied from PhD but accepted to MA. 

If it is still free to apply, I would just do it. Besides the time commitment, it is good to have options. That way you won't regret passing up a possible opportunity. I also doubt they would email everyone who didn't have MA. They don't want to get people's hopes up if they don't have a chance. 

Also, my offer was without funding. As far as I know, all their MA offers do not include any.

Good luck!

9 hours ago, sociologicals said:

Did neither of you apply to MA while applying to the PhD? There was the option to apply to two programs. I did and found out a few weeks ago I was denied from PhD but accepted to MA. 

If it is still free to apply, I would just do it. Besides the time commitment, it is good to have options. That way you won't regret passing up a possible opportunity. I also doubt they would email everyone who didn't have MA. They don't want to get people's hopes up if they don't have a chance. 

Also, my offer was without funding. As far as I know, all their MA offers do not include any.

Good luck!

Yeah, I didn't check that box that said I wanted to be considered for master's if I wasn't accepted for PhD. I guess you're right, there is no harm in having them consider me. The email they sent us said something like 'partial merit-based support for a few incoming MA students' which doesn't exactly sound promising. That is, however, to be expected.

10 hours ago, sociologicals said:

The problem is the monezz as I said. And as @sociologicalpizza said, they give out partial monezz. But I have no monezz (poor kid from Global South yay!) But again, I might try to push this Columbia business and see where it takes me (no harm there as you say)

32 minutes ago, Highland Cow said:

The problem is the monezz as I said. And as @sociologicalpizza said, they give out partial monezz. But I have no monezz (poor kid from Global South yay!) But again, I might try to push this Columbia business and see where it takes me (no harm there as you say)

I got the rejected from PhD but accepted to MA no funding offer like @sociologicals a few weeks ago

Does anyone know if this is actually reputable option or just a money maker for Columbia (or both, those options don't have to be mutually exclusive)? 

19 minutes ago, meowcow said:

I got the rejected from PhD but accepted to MA no funding offer like @sociologicals a few weeks ago

Does anyone know if this is actually reputable option or just a money maker for Columbia (or both, those options don't have to be mutually exclusive)? 

I cannot answer that question but I've been looking into it and it seems like it would be a cool program to be in. It's one year, emphasis on qualitative research slash mixed methods, working toward a MA thesis, emphasis on urban research. According to the website it would be approximately $77,315 for everything including housing and life. And they said 1/3 of the students who get their soc MA at Columbia move on to PhD programs within two years and I would like to know what percentage want to get their PhD after the MA because if its most of them then 1/3 is a terrible stat for that. I also might contact the master's program advisor because she said she'd be down to chat. I also can't really afford it regardless so I'm mostly just fantasizing. 

3 hours ago, sociologicalpizza said:

I cannot answer that question but I've been looking into it and it seems like it would be a cool program to be in. It's one year, emphasis on qualitative research slash mixed methods, working toward a MA thesis, emphasis on urban research. According to the website it would be approximately $77,315 for everything including housing and life. And they said 1/3 of the students who get their soc MA at Columbia move on to PhD programs within two years and I would like to know what percentage want to get their PhD after the MA because if its most of them then 1/3 is a terrible stat for that. I also might contact the master's program advisor because she said she'd be down to chat. I also can't really afford it regardless so I'm mostly just fantasizing. 

I would recommend contacting current students and also ask how accessible the faculty is. I found it odd that they didn't invite MAs to an open house. 

5 hours ago, meowcow said:

Yes, the Columbia MA program is both a money maker for the department and a reputable option. It can be used as a springboard into top PHD programs, but only if students take full advantage of what the program has to offer. 

5 hours ago, meowcow said:

@sociologicalpizza @meowcow @Highland Cow I believe @letstalkshop from the 2015 application cycle did a Columbia MA and found it very useful for getting into some great PhD programs. You could try getting in touch with her. One of my friends also did the Columbia MA program and was able to use her thesis and letters to get into Berkeley last year. So it seems that it can definitely work out for some people.

3 minutes ago, qeta said:

@sociologicalpizza @meowcow @Highland Cow I believe @letstalkshop from the 2015 application cycle did a Columbia MA and found it very useful for getting into some great PhD programs. You could try getting in touch with her. One of my friends also did the Columbia MA program and was able to use her thesis and letters to get into Berkeley last year. So it seems that it can definitely work out for some people.

I did see on their website that somebody went on to a PhD program at Berkeley. Thanks for the info!