Fall 2017 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

csot

22 minutes ago, jojokitty47 said:

What do people think about calling the school I have been waitlisted at to hear about how far up I am on the waitlist?

I am curious what people have to say about this as well. I know some programs rank waitlist candidates but some wait until they receive declines then reconvene the committee, so there might not be an answer. Also, I fear some programs the contact for applications related questions actually has no knowledge of the waitlist.

38 minutes ago, jojokitty47 said:

What do people think about calling the school I have been waitlisted at to hear about how far up I am on the waitlist?

I'd love to know what people have to say about this. 

What do people think about contacting schools who have gone silent? I'm still waiting to hear ANYTHING from three schools. No notice of rejections, waitlisting, or acceptance.

8 minutes ago, teamster said:

What do people think about contacting schools who have gone silent? I'm still waiting to hear ANYTHING from three schools. No notice of rejections, waitlisting, or acceptance.

I think I am gonna go for it...wish me luck!

1 hour ago, sociologicalpizza said:

I did see on their website that somebody went on to a PhD program at Berkeley. Thanks for the info!

Thanks everyone for the responses! All very helpful thoughts as I consider my options.

I also got the same deal (rejected PhD but accepted into MA) from UChicago with partial funding. Trying to decide between those two MA options and two PhD acceptances now. 

27 minutes ago, jojokitty47 said:

I think I am gonna go for it...wish me luck!

Hey JoJoKitty, did you hear anything from Yale or did you assume they'd rejected you? I'm asking everyone because I don't want to be "that student" that calls but it's getting late in the game. Even if they're holding off on rejections to let the original offers decide, it'd be cool if we knew something. 

1 hour ago, Planner101 said:

Hey JoJoKitty, did you hear anything from Yale or did you assume they'd rejected you? I'm asking everyone because I don't want to be "that student" that calls but it's getting late in the game. Even if they're holding off on rejections to let the original offers decide, it'd be cool if we knew something. 

I got an official reject on the portal

1 hour ago, teamster said:

this happened for two schools which I contacted and only then received notice of waitlist. I would say by now you should have had a response and it's fine to call/email. 

On 3/7/2017 at 5:22 PM, limonchello said:

this happened for two schools which I contacted and only then received notice of waitlist. I would say by now you should have had a response and it's fine to call/email. 

This is me with Yale and Brandeis. Yale I've assumed is a rejection, but the other is really weird. Even the board only has one acceptance and nothing else. 

1 minute ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

Where? I got on the portal and all mine still says is submitted :/

Apologies all I am getting my rejections confused, lol, I had been in contact with a poi and he was the one who let me know I did not make the cut.

Well all...after today I am down to the one waitlist.  Scary, but they said I am "at the top" so I guess there's still hope and it only takes one.  Otherwise I'll be back next year :)

2 minutes ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

What school? Good luck!

Washington State University :)  -I got the e-mail w/ info on my place on the waitlist over the weekend and posted a couple pages back.  This week when I e-mailed the other school I was also at waitlisted said that it was unlikely given my place on waitlist and Johns Hopkins replied with the rejection today (a very nice one though) and those were it.  

Edited by montanem
add info

14 minutes ago, montanem said:

Washington State University :)  -I got the e-mail w/ info on my place on the waitlist over the weekend and posted a couple pages back.  This week when I e-mailed the other school I was also at waitlisted said that it was unlikely given my place on waitlist and Johns Hopkins replied with the rejection today (a very nice one though) and those were it.  

Oh that would be a good program! If your next on the waitlist  it very well could happen esp after the April 15th deadline. 

I got off the Umass Amherst waitlist, so it does happen :)

Sidenote: I got a rejection at Northeastern (Poli Sci) which was a HUGE surprise since I had gone to a two day event they invited me to... and when I spoke really expensively will my POI there he basically had eluded to admission being more of a formality at this point.... and had even started talking offers of increasing the funding to match other offers I have. Apparently the old line rings true that nothing is real till it's on paper...

I also just got an email from ALbany now where I had already been accepted but waitlisted on funding saying I'm now near the top of that wait list and they think some will be opening up soon.

2 hours ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

Oh that would be a good program! If your next on the waitlist  it very well could happen esp after the April 15th deadline. 

I got off the Umass Amherst waitlist, so it does happen :)

Sidenote: I got a rejection at Northeastern (Poli Sci) which was a HUGE surprise since I had gone to a two day event they invited me to... and when I spoke really expensively will my POI there he basically had eluded to admission being more of a formality at this point.... and had even started talking offers of increasing the funding to match other offers I have. Apparently the old line rings true that nothing is real till it's on paper...

I also just got an email from ALbany now where I had already been accepted but waitlisted on funding saying I'm now near the top of that wait list and they think some will be opening up soon.

Congrats! I got off the waitlist for funding yesterday. Prof. Berman told me the official letter would probably come tomorrow. It is March! People starts to decline their offers!

@WorldPeaceMaker2010 @Schwein yeah Albany sent an email to those of us with funding who have yet to accept our offers yesterday that was like "no big deal take your time but also pls let us know if you're rejecting it" it's so hard, Albany is top of my list at the moment as far as acceptances but everything is so up in the air still. I have a feeling I'll be holding on to it into April just because of the possibility of getting off another waitlist. But also, there's a huge chance I'll end up accepting the offer, so I guess in that case it wouldn't matter how long I held onto it.

21 minutes ago, RTS123 said:

Alright, just received an email from Yale to check website. Rejected, as expected. But they just make us wait too long...And now I am happy that I can move on;)

Rejected as well. I only applied to two schools and this concludes my cycle. I'll be back on the site next year. Best of luck to everyone!! 

5 minutes ago, Planner101 said:

Rejected as well. I only applied to two schools and this concludes my cycle. I'll be back on the site next year. Best of luck to everyone!! 

Best luck!!

This is also my first time of application, and I find I am so naive on everything, including school selection (yeah I was thinking that I just wanted to attend top 30 programs), LOR (thought it might not be important if I wrote perfect SOP and WS), and a lot of other things. I cried all night the day I received 4 rejections (around Feb 24) and got a personal email from the professor of Yale saying that I was not in. But now I feel better, it's not the end of the world. Learn from the lessons (although very expensive ones) and keep moving. Best luck to all of you!!

p.s. I am waitlisted by two schools, so the only thing I can do is to wait.

6 hours ago, sociologicalpizza said:

@WorldPeaceMaker2010 @Schwein yeah Albany sent an email to those of us with funding who have yet to accept our offers yesterday that was like "no big deal take your time but also pls let us know if you're rejecting it" it's so hard, Albany is top of my list at the moment as far as acceptances but everything is so up in the air still. I have a feeling I'll be holding on to it into April just because of the possibility of getting off another waitlist. But also, there's a huge chance I'll end up accepting the offer, so I guess in that case it wouldn't matter how long I held onto it.

Speaking as someone who has been rejected from all their apps except for ONE waitlist: TAKE YOUR TIME <3 it's kind of frustrating to see fellow waitlisted people tell all the acceptees to hurry up, despite the desperation and heartache. Even if I somehow get into this one school, I'm going to take my sweet ass time to accept because it's a huge decision. If I had more options, I'd take even longer. My cohortmate from my MA program just came home from two whirlwind weekends of school visits and she is so tired, I really hope she doesn't rush to make a decision as we're both scrambling to write our theses and finals which are upon us next week.

Just some cheerleading for y'all. I'm so proud of everyone's accomplishments!

Did anyone who received a rejection from NYU for the Sociology Ph.D. program also ask to be considered for the AQR masters program in their application? I noticed in past years people received that decision in the same email as their rejection, but I have not heard anything about it at all. Does that mean I was also rejected from the master's program, or maybe they're just a little slower on the master's decisions this year?