Fall 2017 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

csot

13 minutes ago, Nashslam said:

Hello All! 

If anyone got an acceptance from Boston University and is planning on not attending, could you please inform them of your decision asap (preferably before April 15)? I'm #1 on the waitlist, and am dying to go. It would mean the world to me!

Thank you!!

Best of luck!!!

Hey guys! I was admitted but still waitlisted for funding, and now I face a very troublesome situation where I have to submit my master's dissertation by early April, while the decision of funding has yet to come out. If I can know the decision from Rutgers early, then I can decide whether to postpone my graduation and apply to PhD programs again next year. So please, if any of you decide to decline Rutgers' offer, please do that ASAP. I would greatly appreciate it!! Thanks! The waiting game is just killing me ;(

Anyway, good luck to all.

3 hours ago, RTS123 said:

Hey guys! I was admitted but still waitlisted for funding, and now I face a very troublesome situation where I have to submit my master's dissertation by early April, while the decision of funding has yet to come out. If I can know the decision from Rutgers early, then I can decide whether to postpone my graduation and apply to PhD programs again next year. So please, if any of you decide to decline Rutgers' offer, please do that ASAP. I would greatly appreciate it!! Thanks! The waiting game is just killing me ;(

Anyway, good luck to all.

I would talk to the DGS because usually they are very outfront with information. Maybe there has only been a 10% response rate and you're likely to get funding nonetheless. 

1 hour ago, limonchello said:

I would talk to the DGS because usually they are very outfront with information. Maybe there has only been a 10% response rate and you're likely to get funding nonetheless. 

Yeah I have talked to the DGS and my POI. They said they are still waiting to hear from the student ranked right above me, and told me to be neither too negative nor positive about the outcome. I don't know what I can do at present. I can't wait too long, since it would mess up my plans.

On 4/8/2017 at 6:19 PM, Nashslam said:

Hello All! 

If anyone got an acceptance from Boston University and is planning on not attending, could you please inform them of your decision asap (preferably before April 15)? I'm #1 on the waitlist, and am dying to go. It would mean the world to me!

Thank you!!

Did you get in?

After being rejected from all of my schools except no answer from my home institution and being waitlisted at one school that was not my top pick but has a fantastic faculty member there (University of South Carolina), I just received an e-mail this morning saying that the grad committee is meeting in a couple of days to pick someone off of the waitlist and would I like to be considered. This took me by surprise because we're two days out from the acceptances deadline, so I thought I was out of the race and had already considered switching topics to be more competitive and looking into new programs. I was merely expecting a polite "sorry, we couldn't find room for you" e-mail when I opened it this morning. 

Yes? I would like to be considered? But that doesn't mean I'm going to accept... South Carolina is literally the opposite side of the country for me, I don't have anything to compare it to since I didn't get any other acceptances besides maybe my own home institution (which pays shit and I have already gotten my first two degrees here), and I feel like I would need to get to know them before accepting so I would NEED to fly out there and that's expensive and takes time. All of this while my master's thesis draft is due in a week. :P 

Obviously I don't want to say an absolute no, because it may be a perfect fit for me (I'm more into fit than rank). It's also horribly far away from home (physically and in terms of similarity) so it's a huge decision. I guess what I'm asking is, is this a horribly irresponsible decision to even consider since it is high pressure with low time? Or at least, what factors should I be focusing on going into this IF I am accepted? I've got thesis tunnel vision and this is almost completely unwelcome right now. Thanks folks. Sorry for the novel -_- 

7 minutes ago, Aucitronvert said:

After being rejected from all of my schools except no answer from my home institution and being waitlisted at one school that was not my top pick but has a fantastic faculty member there (University of South Carolina), I just received an e-mail this morning saying that the grad committee is meeting in a couple of days to pick someone off of the waitlist and would I like to be considered. This took me by surprise because we're two days out from the acceptances deadline, so I thought I was out of the race and had already considered switching topics to be more competitive and looking into new programs. I was merely expecting a polite "sorry, we couldn't find room for you" e-mail when I opened it this morning. 

Yes? I would like to be considered? But that doesn't mean I'm going to accept... South Carolina is literally the opposite side of the country for me, I don't have anything to compare it to since I didn't get any other acceptances besides maybe my own home institution (which pays shit and I have already gotten my first two degrees here), and I feel like I would need to get to know them before accepting so I would NEED to fly out there and that's expensive and takes time. All of this while my master's thesis draft is due in a week. :P 

Obviously I don't want to say an absolute no, because it may be a perfect fit for me (I'm more into fit than rank). It's also horribly far away from home (physically and in terms of similarity) so it's a huge decision. I guess what I'm asking is, is this a horribly irresponsible decision to even consider since it is high pressure with low time? Or at least, what factors should I be focusing on going into this IF I am accepted? I've got thesis tunnel vision and this is almost completely unwelcome right now. Thanks folks. Sorry for the novel -_- 

I'm going to assume since they are 'meeting in a couple of days' that they're not going to demand a same-day answer by the 15th. Assuming they're allowing you more wiggle room, I would also imagine they may be able to fund your visit (or at least give you time to visit) and take an informed decision. Definitely, reply and let them know you're interested. They usually ask that because you're more than likely already committed to somewhere else. 

Good luck - be open with them and tell them you're interested. IF you're accepted, then let them know that as this is a giant decision, you would really need to visit before making an informed decision and if they could accommodate that. 

6 minutes ago, limonchello said:

I'm going to assume since they are 'meeting in a couple of days' that they're not going to demand a same-day answer by the 15th. Assuming they're allowing you more wiggle room, I would also imagine they may be able to fund your visit (or at least give you time to visit) and take an informed decision. Definitely, reply and let them know you're interested. They usually ask that because you're more than likely already committed to somewhere else. 

Good luck - be open with them and tell them you're interested. IF you're accepted, then let them know that as this is a giant decision, you would really need to visit before making an informed decision and if they could accommodate that. 

Thanks!! I wrote back saying I would consider it but need more time. I hope you're right in that they would fund my visit because it's an expensive flight. 

So, expecting a rejection, I was emailed by the grad director at U Kentucky asking for me to Skype with them next week. Anyone experience this also? Anyone with any idea about what they may talk about, comments would be much appreciated! Reply here or direct message me please!