Fall 2017 Education Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections

hopefulPhD2017

Happy New Year all!

I'm snagging an idea from the sociology thread. If my nerdy research proves correct, we will start hearing about PhD in Education acceptances/interviews as early as mid-January. Rejections seem to come later as do Master's notifications. Thought a thread focused on fall 2017 education admissions and cheering one another on would be fun! We also might get more conversations going than in threads about individual schools.

And, of course, this thread might help pass the time as we await the congratulatory phone calls and embossed envelopes. 

Upon checking the results board it looks like we're all still waiting...

Great idea - this wait is extremely nerve racking. I haven't had a break from work for Christmas which has probably helped a little, but I have a two week break at the end of January instead and I think I will go totally crazy if I have heard nothing at all by then.

Are you guys checking the university IT accounts compulsively? I keep looking at the 'Application ready for review' and wondering whether my schools will write 'Application under review' eventually, or maybe I will just learn that it was under review after I get some news into my mailbox.

7 minutes ago, day_manderly said:

Are you guys checking the university IT accounts compulsively? I keep looking at the 'Application ready for review' and wondering whether my schools will write 'Application under review' eventually, or maybe I will just learn that it was under review after I get some news into my mailbox.

Yep I have done that, but I don't think most schools actually change the status so it's probably a futile activity. It reassures me that I have completed my application fully at least.

@day_manderly Absolutely! I was just checked mine on HGSE because I'm still waiting to see that my GRE scores are accurately attached to my file. I have decided to hit each web site once a day just to see and am leaving a window open with all of the logins on separate tabs. Soothes my nerves a bit. Also, I've gone back and read past GC threads for each of my top Ed PhD school choices, and at least one had a delay of one week between updating the web site and sending email notifications, so our compulsive checking is totally justified.

Glad I'm not alone!

59 minutes ago, Espeon said:

Actually just got an email for a phone interview with the faculty member with the most closely associated research interests to mine at UNC Chapel Hill! Super excited--first I've heard anything!

OMG that is fantastic!  Definitely details!  I'm on the west coast so as soon as it hits about 6pm here, I tell myself "well, I won't hear anything today" but your experience seems to prove that untrue.  

I haven't had the interview yet, but it was an extremely positive email from one of the professors I mentioned in my statement and whose interests match really closely with mine. She mentioned that I seemed like a strong fit on paper and she just wanted to make sure with a phone call. I feel really good about it!

I got an email on Dec. 21st asking to schedule an interview for the Ph.D. program at the University of Cambridge. The interview will be via Skype later this month. :) 

I haven't heard anything yet from UW or WSU. These are the only three schools to which I applied. 

7 hours ago, Espeon said:

I haven't had the interview yet, but it was an extremely positive email from one of the professors I mentioned in my statement and whose interests match really closely with mine. She mentioned that I seemed like a strong fit on paper and she just wanted to make sure with a phone call. I feel really good about it!

Awesome! What school? :) Update: I missed your original post somehow about UNC. Congrats!

Edited by nikkimx
Clarifying

Awesome @Espeon! That sounds very promising.

I only applied to five schools, and four of them won't be sending out admissions until March-ish. My top choice (an education program) typically contacts potential admits for interviews around January 20th. I'm not really expecting any contact until then, and even then I'm not expecting anything (i.e. trying to be pragmatic) because it's an insanely competitive program. 

I'll be checking this thread constantly, though, because I love hearing about people getting interviews/admits.

The one thing (above all else) that really gets me about this whole graduate school thing is the near-mystical aura around every stage of the process. I'll have my B.A. in May, so this is obviously my first application season, but it's been a rollercoaster. One day I'm floating on clouds, feeling incredibly confident about my prospects as a top-tier candidate... and the next I'm mocking myself for thinking I ever had a shot. I'm all about suspense, but I really can't wait for this whole thing to be over. I've got an awesome job offer waiting for me if I don't get in anywhere, and that takes a bit of the edge off of things... I can't imagine what others (who don't have that luxury) must be going through. Such an incredible weight/unease.

10 hours ago, nikkimx said:

I got an email on Dec. 21st asking to schedule an interview for the Ph.D. program at the University of Cambridge.

Excellent news! I'm sure you'll nail the interview--just remember they contacted you for a reason, just be yourself. :)

2 minutes ago, nikkimx said:

@Kilos Thanks! I am experiencing a bit of imposter syndrome, so I really appreciate your words!

I haven't had any correspondence with any of my schools and I'm already feeling the same way. I think it's pretty natural. It's a huge shift, a huge change, and for many of us it's the first time we've been faced with such a monumental opportunity. I know everybody's different, and people's circumstances all vary, but for me, it's unnerving knowing that the very course, direction, and ultimate outcome of my life may very well rest on how appealing an admission committee finds my stack of papers. You got the interview though, which means your stack was good enough; now all you have to do is show them you're the person on the paper. : )

Update: Had my phone interview (Friday--I'm late updating). Went super well! No official offer of admission yet, but the professor with whom I spoke was very optimistic and excited. Some of the questions she asked me include what I liked about the program/what attracted me to the program, why I thought I'd be a good fit for the program, and why I am choosing this path at this point in my life. After that she asked some kind of informal ones, like what I want to do after getting a PhD (I say "informal" because she said I wouldn't be held to it and that she was just curious) and if I've ever visited the campus. I feel really good about it! Some of my anxiety about having imposter syndrome myself/getting accepted has subsided. But only some. Lol. 

@nikkimx good luck in your interview! Just be yourself! The more genuine, the better. ? 

Good luck everyone! Decisions will start rolling in soon! 

@Espeon sounds great and appreciate the update! Did she leave you with a sense of next steps, something along the lines of, "I'll be ringing Monday to officially accept you," or "You sound amazing! Check your email Tuesday," or even, "We're doing interviews the second weekend of February, can you make it?"

Perhaps, "Check your email on January 29 at 3:02 pm?"

Sounds like a good conversation and that you'll be hearing good news soon. I'm just waiting for the slew of education posts on the results page to start soon!