Fall 2017 Education Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections

hopefulPhD2017

On 01/02/2017 at 4:44 AM, hopefulPhD2017 said:

I don't but it sounds like an awesome program. Good luck! Stanford GSE thread eerily quiet. One interview on results board so far. 

Yeah it has been eerily quiet but then again Stanford were clear that

a - they don't do interviews (although obviously they did for someone?)

b - that decisions will be sent out mid-feb.

So my guess is that everyone on the thread simply doesn't have anything to do except wait anxiously.

Edited by mjl89

20 minutes ago, mjl89 said:

Yeah it has been eerily quiet but then again Stanford were clear that

a - they don't do interviews (although obviously they did for someone?)

b - that decisions will be sent out mid-feb.

So my guess is that everyone on the thread simply doesn't have anything to do except wait anxiously.

All true but I prefer my anxious waiting with conversation, speculation, and trivia sprinkled in, you know?

That makes a lot of sense! The Stanford RILE program is my top choice, but when I talked to someone from admissions, she told me that they hardly accept any students. I think she told me they only accepted a few in the last couple of years, but that was going to change this year. *fingers crossed*

On 1/31/2017 at 9:58 AM, rockrmoose said:

@pleemo Congrats!! Are you going to any preview days? :) Maybe we'll meet! Are you waiting on any other schools? I didn't apply to GWU but am waiting on UMich and Penn.

@rockrmoose Congrats on your UMich acceptance! I'm still waiting on my (big) reach schools Stanford & Harvard. Right now I'm leaning towards UCLA, and planning to attend Preview Day on the 25th! I'm also going to try and make it to USF's. Are you planning to go to any?

4 minutes ago, pleemo said:

@rockrmoose Congrats on your UMich acceptance! I'm still waiting on my (big) reach schools Stanford & Harvard. Right now I'm leaning towards UCLA, and planning to attend Preview Day on the 25th! I'm also going to try and make it to USF's. Are you planning to go to any?

@pleemo Thank you! Hopefully they get back to you soon. I kind of wish I applied to Harvard's program too. I just bought my flight for UCLA, so hopefully I'll see you at preview day! After talking to some current students and alumni of USF's program, I have decided it wasn't a good fit so I don't think I'll be going to their preview day.

4 hours ago, rockrmoose said:

@pleemo Thank you! Hopefully they get back to you soon. I kind of wish I applied to Harvard's program too. I just bought my flight for UCLA, so hopefully I'll see you at preview day! After talking to some current students and alumni of USF's program, I have decided it wasn't a good fit so I don't think I'll be going to their preview day.

I booked my flight too so I'll see you there! I also spoke to a current student at USF, and now I have some reservations about the program based on their experience. If you don't mind sharing what you heard about the program I'd appreciate some more insight! I'll send you a message though so we don't stray too much from this thread.

1 hour ago, pleemo said:

I booked my flight too so I'll see you there! I also spoke to a current student at USF, and now I have some reservations about the program based on their experience. If you don't mind sharing what you heard about the program I'd appreciate some more insight! I'll send you a message though so we don't stray too much from this thread.

Congrats @pleemo! I'm a UCLA MSA alum, if you have any questions about it before preview day please feel free to PM me! 

1 hour ago, cjaneob said:

Hello all! Has anyone applied to ODU's PhD in Higher Education program? I've tried searching through multiple threads, but just curious!

@cjaneob, I have the same question. All I know so far is that they also offer online PhD. Their Instructional Design & Technology program caught my interest. I sent them an email about online tuition fees, but they have not gotten back to me. 

13 hours ago, victoriaaa said:

Any Canadians around? I got accepted to McGill's Second Language Education MA program and would be excited to meet anyone else going! Still waiting on Alberta, but I'll probably accept McGill's offer.

Congrats! Good news is always welcomed on this board, regardless of  geography. 

Edited by hopefulPhD2017

7 hours ago, PaU^_^PaU said:

@cjaneob, I have the same question. All I know so far is that they also offer online PhD. Their Instructional Design & Technology program caught my interest. I sent them an email about online tuition fees, but they have not gotten back to me. 

I've actually applied to the PhD in Higher Education and was curious about others' experiences. I've never heard about their Instructional Design & Technology program, but I encourage you to reach out to faculty members! The Higher Ed program faculty were very responsive to my inquiries and I was able to meet with them in person to discuss the program. I've still kept in contact with them via e-mail as well, so I hope you have the same luck! Some faculty are more invested than others, but I'd continue to be optimistic! :)

12 hours ago, hopefulPhD2017 said:

Congrats! Good news is always welcomed on this board, regardless of  geography. 

Thank you! It was my long shot dream school, didn't think I'd get in due to not having majored or minored in education, but 5 years of experience, a persuasive SOI and what I assume were strong LORs goes a long way, apparently!

1 hour ago, hopefulPhD2017 said:

I see a few rejections and waitlists for University of Michigan on the results board.

Did anyone actually get in? So far I have heard nothing myself...

Nothing for me yet. I checked the site and it still says nothing new and no new links. What does it all mean?!

On 1/11/2017 at 10:32 PM, reallydontknow said:

any news from wisconsin madison? I applied to the Educational Psychology Phd program. Well, from Results page I can see they usually send out interview inventation on late December, so I am pretty sure I will get rejection email on Feb.  

@reallydontknow I applied to the C&I PhD programme. Although I haven't received an official acceptance from the school yet, my advisor reached out to let me know that I've been accepted and to talk funding.

18 hours ago, PhDinEdu said:

Nothing for me yet. I checked the site and it still says nothing new and no new links. What does it all mean?!

I know, right?! My guess is that they're from a different program than I, but that does not much to satisfy my anxiety. :huh:

At least I know I'm not the only one, @PhDinEdu

I'm not gonna lie. I just got my first rejection and it's not easy. I received a generic email from someone I'd never heard of at University of Michigan: 

The Educational Studies admissions committee at the University of Michigan, School of Education recently reviewed your application for admission to our doctoral program.  Unfortunately, the admissions committee cannot offer you admission at this time.

The committee reviewed a great many applications from well-qualified individuals and had to make difficult choices.  In its deliberations, the committee took into account your professional experiences, prior academic performance, and the fit between your interests and goals and our programs of study.

We wish you the best in your academic pursuits and future career.

Whomp whomp.

It wasn't at the top of my list but rejection hurts, nonetheless.

Anyone else feeling the burn? 

2a/0w/1r/5??

43 minutes ago, hopefulPhD2017 said:

I'm not gonna lie. I just got my first rejection and it's not easy. I received a generic email from someone I'd never heard of at University of Michigan: 

The Educational Studies admissions committee at the University of Michigan, School of Education recently reviewed your application for admission to our doctoral program.  Unfortunately, the admissions committee cannot offer you admission at this time.

The committee reviewed a great many applications from well-qualified individuals and had to make difficult choices.  In its deliberations, the committee took into account your professional experiences, prior academic performance, and the fit between your interests and goals and our programs of study.

Whomp whomp.

2a/0w/1r/5??

I definitely feel the burn. Still haven't heard back from rest of the schools except for USC, which I got waitlisted for.

0a/1w/0r/6?? at the moment.

6 hours ago, hopefulPhD2017 said:

Whomp whomp.

2a/0w/1r/5??

"Confronting our feelings and giving them appropriate expression always takes strength, not weakness. It takes strength to acknowledge our anger, and sometimes more strength yet to curb the aggressive urges anger may bring and to channel them into nonviolent outlets. It takes strength to face our sadness and to grieve and to let our grief and our anger flow in tears when they need to. It takes strength to talk about our feelings and to reach out for help and comfort when we need it."

From The World According to Mister Rogers

I believe you have strength, @hopefulPhD2017 ! I believe we all do!

Hi everyone, I have been accepted by Education Policy M.S.Ed at Penn and M.Ed. IEPM at Peabody. And I am already spoilt for choice. Any pointers, inputs on how to decide between two? I know some of the obvious stuff only ( 2 yrs vs 1 yr, International Internship at Penn etc). But some insightful comparison would be very helpful.