Fall 2017 Education Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections

hopefulPhD2017

8 minutes ago, Girl with Buddha Tattoo said:

Hi everyone, I have been accepted by Education Policy M.S.Ed at Penn and M.Ed. IEPM at Peabody. And I am already spoilt for choice. Any pointers, inputs on how to decide between two? I know some of the obvious stuff only ( 2 yrs vs 1 yr, International Internship at Penn etc). But some insightful comparison would be very helpful. 

Congratulations! I don't know if you're read the thread here http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/65058-international-education-vanderbilt-iepm-harvard-iep/#comment-1058273394 which seems to go into some detail comparing the two - it seems pretty helpful. Also, perhaps if the people on it are still active you could PM them for more information.

10 hours ago, boscojoba said:

"Confronting our feelings and giving them appropriate expression always takes strength, not weakness. It takes strength to acknowledge our anger, and sometimes more strength yet to curb the aggressive urges anger may bring and to channel them into nonviolent outlets. It takes strength to face our sadness and to grieve and to let our grief and our anger flow in tears when they need to. It takes strength to talk about our feelings and to reach out for help and comfort when we need it."

From The World According to Mister Rogers

I believe you have strength, @hopefulPhD2017 ! I believe we all do!

Thank you @boscojoba! Mister Rogers is perfect for right now. 

Anyone who has applied to NYU Steinhardt Educational Leadership, Politics, Advocacy MA Program? Applied Jan. 15, as RPCVs must for the Peace Corps to NYU Fellows, haven't heard anything yet. I've been told to 'Set it andddd forget it!' Advice easier said than done, especially when the person giving it is halfway through their Phd at Berkeley :)

Edited by Alimatou

6 hours ago, Espeon said:

I've only heard official word from two schools. I 100% thought I would have heard from more by now. I applied to 9. 

I thought I would have heard too. But I know I have been rejected from 1 (no interview invite) and today I saw on the results that Berkeley accepted someone, so I am guessing they are out now too. 

8 hours ago, istanbulnotconstantinople said:

I thought I would have heard too. But I know I have been rejected from 1 (no interview invite) and today I saw on the results that Berkeley accepted someone, so I am guessing they are out now too. 

I couldn't see any acceptance post on the results page for Berkeley GSE. Was it a false alarm?

11 minutes ago, sgbg1903 said:

I couldn't see any acceptance post on the results page for Berkeley GSE. Was it a false alarm?

It seems to have disappeared but the posts above it from people asking what discipline are still there. I'm not sure why it's been deleted. 

Hello! Glad to have found this thread. 

Received acceptances from UMich (MA in Higher Education) and UVA- Curry School (MEd in Research, Statistics, and Evaluation). 

Has anyone heard about UGA Institute for Higher Education decisions? It's a small program; so, I don't think I'll see much action on the Results page. 

On 2/10/2017 at 6:32 PM, istanbulnotconstantinople said:

Congratulations! I don't know if you're read the thread here http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/65058-international-education-vanderbilt-iepm-harvard-iep/#comment-1058273394 which seems to go into some detail comparing the two - it seems pretty helpful. Also, perhaps if the people on it are still active you could PM them for more information.

Thank You. this is really helpful.

10 hours ago, justkelia said:

Hello! Glad to have found this thread. 

Received acceptances from UMich (MA in Higher Education) and UVA- Curry School (MEd in Research, Statistics, and Evaluation). 

Has anyone heard about UGA Institute for Higher Education decisions? It's a small program; so, I don't think I'll see much action on the Results page. 

Congratulations! I am also deciding between UMich and UVa for PhD. Would you mind sharing your thougts about these schools. Do you know where you will go?

30 minutes ago, SabDelta said:

Congratulations! I am also deciding between UMich and UVa for PhD. Would you mind sharing your thougts about these schools. Do you know where you will go?

Congratulations so much. I have also applied to UMich MA in Education Leadership Policy, but applied very close to deadline. When did you hear from them?

11 minutes ago, Girl with Buddha Tattoo said:

Congratulations so much. I have also applied to UMich MA in Education Leadership Policy, but applied very close to deadline. When did you hear from them?

I heard from them on January 13 but I applied for PhD, so don't worry! Master aceptances must be on their way! I hope with great news for you!!! :)

On 2/12/2017 at 9:20 AM, SabDelta said:

Hey! Thank you! I actually went to UVA undergrad and spent a bit of time in the Curry School. Which program were accepted in and who is your faculty adviser (if you know)? 

I really don't know where I will be. I am waiting on the Ford School, Batten (@ UVA), UGA, and UW-Madison. I wouldn't mind going back to UVA, though.

1 hour ago, crazynanc said:

I just received an email that I was waitlisted for the Phd in Higher Education at UVA.

Rejected from UMD a week ago. :/

Still waiting on John Hopkins, GW, and Harvard.

Has anyone heard from any of these schools? Feeling kind of bummed. Realistically what are the chances of getting off the waitlist for a Phd? Is it like undergrad?

@crazynanc I also got the waitlist notice for UVA's Higher Ed PhD :/ It's my second wait list and I'm not quite sure how to proceed. I didn't apply/haven't heard from any of the other programs you mentioned, but hopefully good news is on the way for you

If anyone has any tips on dealing with wait lists, I'd greatly appreciate it. I.e., should a waitlisted applicant still try to visit campus? Is it appropriate to still ask to talk to current students and professors to learn more about the program, or is it more appropriate to back off a little?

I was waitlisted last year for my top-choice PhD program. Advice I was given was to continue to speak with my POI, and to communicate that I would definitely accept if admitted off the waitlist. Of course, this is only something you should say if you mean it, but I did, and I was admitted off the waitlist. I expressed how much I had enjoyed the interview and ways in which the school was such a great fit for me. 

I also appreciated this thread while I was waiting: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/19953-getting-off-the-waitlist/

Edited by Levon3

2 hours ago, crazynanc said:

I just received an email that I was waitlisted for the Phd in Higher Education at UVA.

Rejected from UMD a week ago. :/

Still waiting on John Hopkins, GW, and Harvard.

Has anyone heard from any of these schools? Feeling kind of bummed. Realistically what are the chances of getting off the waitlist for a Phd? Is it like undergrad?

I didn't apply for any of those schools, @crazynanc, but I wanted to say a rejection came in for me last week and I was feeling kind of bummed too. I spoke to a good friend this weekend who finished her PhD and was just offered her first tenure-track position, and she said every school she's in contact with is just crazy... The election has thrown everyone for a loop and slowed down sorting through applications, and it's also a really tough year for applicants, as many more people are choosing to go back to school, in her opinion. That made me feel a little better; maybe it'll help you, too.

Congrats on making it on a waitlist! I know it's not what you wanted but it's better than a rejection. I do wonder how many folks they waitlist?

5 hours ago, hopefulPhD2017 said:

Cheers to everyone nursing rejections today! Hey Harvard and Stanford, next year spread out the rejections a little, yes?

Oh no, I'm glad they get it all over with early compared to other schools like UPenn who leave us all hanging on even though we know we've been rejected because we weren't interviewed.

Edited by istanbulnotconstantinople

On 2/13/2017 at 10:51 PM, hopefulPhD2017 said:

I didn't apply for any of those schools, @crazynanc, but I wanted to say a rejection came in for me last week and I was feeling kind of bummed too. I spoke to a good friend this weekend who finished her PhD and was just offered her first tenure-track position, and she said every school she's in contact with is just crazy... The election has thrown everyone for a loop and slowed down sorting through applications, and it's also a really tough year for applicants, as many more people are choosing to go back to school, in her opinion. That made me feel a little better; maybe it'll help you, too.

Congrats on making it on a waitlist! I know it's not what you wanted but it's better than a rejection. I do wonder how many folks they waitlist?

It makes sense that people are choosing to go back to school, but why have the elections slowed down sorting through applications? I mean, i'm sure a lot of people would've been in a state of shock after the elections, but is that bad that their productivity has actually been affected for multiple weeks? 

7 hours ago, Int_EdPolicy said:

It makes sense that people are choosing to go back to school, but why have the elections slowed down sorting through applications? I mean, i'm sure a lot of people would've been in a state of shock after the elections, but is that bad that their productivity has actually been affected for multiple weeks? 

Academics who are affected by funding decisions--maybe especially scientists--are worried now.

Faculty are putting more time and thought into activism and student/staff protection than ever before. See here, here, and here.

Additionally, my professor friends tell me that students of color, immigrant students, and sexual assault survivors have needed more time, nurturing, and help during these times.

This is all anecdotal but it's come from more than one faculty member so I'd say it's real, at least in some places and departments.

So, kind of freaking out here. I applied to Penn GSE's M.S. Higher Ed program and I just got an email saying my application was incomplete. I went on the app site to check the checklist, and it said I was missing a transcript. It was for a study abroad program, but to my understanding if your study abroad credits show up on your undergrad insititution's transcript, you wouldn't need one from the university you studied abroad at? I know this is partially my fault  for not looking at the checklist earlier... Does this mean they wouldn't look at my application at all until I send in that transcript? I emailed the admissions office but they haven't gotten back to me yet...

if you spent less than a year, the college transcript should be enough. if you spend a year or more abroad, then you may need a WES evaluation. I had the same situation and emailed admissions office. They generally reply really fast, in my experience. 

7 hours ago, forgetful26 said:

if you spent less than a year, the college transcript should be enough. if you spend a year or more abroad, then you may need a WES evaluation. I had the same situation and emailed admissions office. They generally reply really fast, in my experience. 

Yeah, I only studied abroad for a summer. They haven't replied to me yet (it's been 1 day lol) and I guess if they don't answer by the end of the week, I'll call them on Monday.