2017 Admissions General

Does anyone know about Johns Hopkins biostat? I tried contacting them but I just got an 'application still under review' response. I heard they've done interviews already, so should I consider this a probable reject?

1 hour ago, arima said:

Yesterday (March 6) and today (March 7) are admit visiting days for Berkeley stats.

That's the reason I called them. I feel like they said they haven't finish making decision because they cant talk about such things over the phone (without identifying who the caller is), which I understand. Thanks for the information. 

I also called UWisconsin, they said they are still reviewing my application. 

Edited by Wzz
more information

On 3/4/2017 at 0:07 PM, cyberwulf said:

This just isn't done in the field, since you are (typically) being admitted to a department and not to work in an individual faculty member's "lab". You didn't miss out on anything by not doing it.

That's exactly what my master supervisor told me. So I didn't bother sending emails to any professors. Even for a few schools that you indeed work for an individual faculty, it is still unnecessary to contact the professor. They will contact you if they are interested in you.

Hi everyone! I made a phone to UNC-chapel hill yesterday and was told that I was admitted by UNC biostats PhD. 

Could anyone please tell me about funding in UNC? 

Also, I am interested in machine learning, any professor recommended?

Thanks!

On 3/7/2017 at 3:08 PM, khsf45 said:

Does anyone know about Johns Hopkins biostat? I tried contacting them but I just got an 'application still under review' response. I heard they've done interviews already, so should I consider this a probable reject?

You are not alone...but do you think JHU is not safe(much crime)? For me, I won't go there even if JHU is good. Anyone else?

Edited by RandomForest

Regarding JHU and crime:

JHU's biostatistics department is housed in the school of public health, which is by the JHU hospital geographically (southeast of the main JHU campus).  This is a bad neighborhood, with violent crime around 5 times the national average (2000 incidents per 100k per year vs ~400 incidents per 100k per year as the national average).  The campus itself is safe, they have invested a ton of money in security and if you visit the area you'll see security guards on literally every street corner in the area.  There are also shuttles to the 'main' (Homewood) campus that seemed fine to me during the day.  

I think it's reasonable to say that graduate students live such a cloistered life that this is unlikely to affect them much.  However, there's no question that the area is dangerous and it would be unwise to walk around alone at night near JHU biostat.  My recommendation is that you look up the violent crime rate in your current zip code to see how much of an adjustment this would be for you (if you're used to big cities it may be normal for you).

Edited by Innominate

I see on the Results page that there has already been a round of acceptances and rejections for UCLA Statistics, and that the visit day for accepted students has already happened/will happen soon. I still haven't heard anything from them (except in early January when they emailed me asking which faculty members I would like to work with, which I think most people got). Should I assume that I have been waitlisted there? Or have they just not finished sending out all of their rejections yet?

14 hours ago, reallyworried said:

I see on the Results page that there has already been a round of acceptances and rejections for UCLA Statistics, and that the visit day for accepted students has already happened/will happen soon. I still haven't heard anything from them (except in early January when they emailed me asking which faculty members I would like to work with, which I think most people got). Should I assume that I have been waitlisted there? Or have they just not finished sending out all of their rejections yet?

Same here. I would want to believe that we are on the waitlist, but on the flip side, those rejs are probably people who emailed the adcom and learned their decisions early... 

14 hours ago, reallyworried said:

Two years ago I applied to their PhD and didn't hear back after a wave of acceptances and rejections. I emailed someone and he told me that I was on their wait list, and probably I would not hear back from them until AFTER April 15. So I went ahead and withdrew my application since I already had fellowship-funded offers.

On 3/3/2017 at 7:31 AM, footballman2399 said:

Usually they do an "Applicant Profile and Results" page so next cycle's applicants can gauge where they should apply. I'm sure someone will start that shortly (or I will haha)

Put it up today. Please post your results to help future applicants!

Edited by footballman2399
Added link.

Does anybody know if UNC - Chapel Hill and Cornell have finished making Statistics Ph.D. offers? I see some admits posted in the results section. I am yet to hear from them. I wrote to Cornell a few days back, but haven't gotten a reply yet.

Thank you.

8 hours ago, mansy2257 said:

Does anybody know if UNC - Chapel Hill and Cornell have finished making Statistics Ph.D. offers? I see some admits posted in the results section. I am yet to hear from them. I wrote to Cornell a few days back, but haven't gotten a reply yet.

Thank you.

I applied to their INSTORE program and am still waiting for an official response. However, I emailed them a few weeks ago and they said they already sent out their first round of acceptances and probably won't be sending out any more (although if enough people pass on their offers then they will). 

On 3/16/2017 at 9:04 PM, summer0617 said:

I just got accepted to Iowa State (MS) with TA offer.

Anyone going to Iowa State?

I'm about to accept my offer for Iowa State MS this week. Exciting times!!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to revive this thread. It's only three days left before 415 but I still haven't heard back from the Wharton stats phd program. I just assume that I'm waitinglisted. There is no way to contact them (phone only only refers to website, email is automatic, and clearly said "policy of the Wharton Faculty not to comment on an individual application"), for which I understand, because there must be a huge amount of applicant. But for previous years, it seems like they reject the final batch of people on waitinglist on April 7. I am just curious if anyone knows how the Wharton procedure works, as it seems to me they will miss many top-waitinglist candidates as people freak out and give up waiting at a time this close to the deadline. 

3 hours ago, Wzz said:

Sorry to revive this thread. It's only three days left before 415 but I still haven't heard back from the Wharton stats phd program. I just assume that I'm waitinglisted. There is no way to contact them (phone only only refers to website, email is automatic, and clearly said "policy of the Wharton Faculty not to comment on an individual application"), for which I understand, because there must be a huge amount of applicant. But for previous years, it seems like they reject the final batch of people on waitinglist on April 7. I am just curious if anyone knows how the Wharton procedure works, as it seems to me they will miss many top-waitinglist candidates as people freak out and give up waiting at a time this close to the deadline. 

Wharton never seems well gauged in the admissions process. The department feels it is theoretically on par with Stanford accepting Stanford qualified students and putting excellent students on the waiting list. But more times than not, the accepted students decide to go to other departments (like Stanford, Berkeley, or Chicago). But, in the meantime, Wharton drags its feet on the waiting list students to only lose them for reasons you state. It is quite a dysfunctional process.

Does anyone know what the deal is with UCLA's stat department? They seem to have persistent communication troubles. I've been waiting to hear back about the MS program for a while now. I've tried contacting them about when they're going to send out results, here's a timeline of what happened:

3/28 - Emailed graduate coordinator, she told me: "Hopefully, we will have a decision in the next week.  If you don’t hear from us, please check back."

4/7 - Sent a follow-up email, no reply.

4/12 - Just sent out another email, I'll report back if they say anything.

I have to accept my current best offer by 4/30, so I'm not in a rush. Regardless, I just want to wrap up my admissions season. I've heard that my issue is not unique though. It seems that a few people have gotten in this year, but I'm wondering if they're doing a round 2 here since I wasn't explicitly waitlisted.

7 hours ago, pvacek said:

Does anyone know what the deal is with UCLA's stat department? They seem to have persistent communication troubles. I've been waiting to hear back about the MS program for a while now. I've tried contacting them about when they're going to send out results, here's a timeline of what happened:

3/28 - Emailed graduate coordinator, she told me: "Hopefully, we will have a decision in the next week.  If you don’t hear from us, please check back."

4/7 - Sent a follow-up email, no reply.

4/12 - Just sent out another email, I'll report back if they say anything.

I have to accept my current best offer by 4/30, so I'm not in a rush. Regardless, I just want to wrap up my admissions season. I've heard that my issue is not unique though. It seems that a few people have gotten in this year, but I'm wondering if they're doing a round 2 here since I wasn't explicitly waitlisted.

Have you tried call them directly? It seems to me that phone calls are more efficient. Glenda helped check my admission result right away - waitinglist, for which they don't inform the applicant. 

17 hours ago, Wzz said:

Have you tried call them directly? It seems to me that phone calls are more efficient. Glenda helped check my admission result right away - waitinglist, for which they don't inform the applicant. 

I called Glenda's number this morning (about 11 AM PST) and unfortunately she was not there. What time did you call her?

25 minutes ago, pvacek said:

I called Glenda's number this morning (about 11 AM PST) and unfortunately she was not there. What time did you call her?

Around 9 am pst.