2017 Admissions General

3 hours ago, MsHypatia said:

It doesn't look like @marmle (with a really good profile it seems!) has heard back yet either. So, maybe this is a good thing? Michigan is a little bit of a reach for me. I have been admitted to a school that is ranked a little lower but have not been admitted to any schools ranked higher (source: us news and others). We'll see what happens. Good luck to you!

Michigan is a reach program for me too, and I haven't received any acceptance yet, which makes me really anxious right now. Anyway, good luck to you as well!

Sorry to derail the topic, but did anyone recently receive their funding decision for UNC Biostats? Did they increase their funding from previous years? I've read somewhere on this forum that it's usually 22k minus fees.

Edited by reallyworried

3 minutes ago, reallyworried said:

Sorry to derail the topic, but did anyone recently receive their funding decision for UNC Biostats? Did they increase their funding from previous years? I've read here somewhere that it's usually 22k minus fees.

Idk how much it was in previous years (though 22k-fees sounds right I think), but the funding offer I received was 24k-fees

3 hours ago, marmle said:

Idk how much it was in previous years (though 22k-fees sounds right I think), but the funding offer I received was 24k-fees

This just made me notice that I missed the priority deadline for funding at UNC when I applied :(. I don't know how that happened. I think I got the deadlines mixed up on my giant application tracking spreadsheet, and now I'm slightly freaking out. Does anyone know how likely it is that I would still be able to get funding? I know UNC doesn't fund all their students, so Idk if there is any chance. 

I just got accepted to Loyola (Applied Statistics) and American University (Bio & Stat).
Does anyone know about these programs?

I feel super lucky bc my profile is not that strong but I am still waiting from Iowa state, Oregon state, GWU  and etc..

Good luck to everyone!

16 hours ago, khsf45 said:

This just made me notice that I missed the priority deadline for funding at UNC when I applied :(. I don't know how that happened. I think I got the deadlines mixed up on my giant application tracking spreadsheet, and now I'm slightly freaking out. Does anyone know how likely it is that I would still be able to get funding? I know UNC doesn't fund all their students, so Idk if there is any chance. 

I'm not sure. Have you been admitted? If so I'd try emailing the administrator for the biostats department and see if she can give any info.

Also there was a Michigan stats rejection posted by a domestic student yesterday (think that was the first). I wish they'd just send all of the decisions out already lol

I just received this email from UNC:

You previously began an application to the Master of Science in Biostatistics program for the following term: Fall 2017. The program has extended their application to allow in-progress applicants additional time to complete, submit, and pay their applications. If you wish to complete your application at this time we welcome your application.

If you have any questions about the admission process, please do not hesitate to contact Graduate Admissions at gradadmissions@unc.edu.

Best regards,

The Graduate School
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Email: gradadmissions@unc.edu
Website: http://gradschool.unc.edu/admissions/instructions.html

I began my application using one email address but then restarted it and submitted it using a different email address, which is why in the system I have an incomplete application. Regardless, any ideas why they might have reopened the application?

3 hours ago, marmle said:

Also there was a Michigan stats rejection posted by a domestic student yesterday (think that was the first). I wish they'd just send all of the decisions out already lol

What even is this process? Seems like a strange way of tackling 300+ applicants 

Edited by Robbentheking

5 hours ago, bookworm45 said:

I began my application using one email address but then restarted it and submitted it using a different email address, which is why in the system I have an incomplete application. Regardless, any ideas why they might have reopened the application?

I think Berkeley did the same thing but with only specific masters programs. I can't imagine it was due to lack of applicants. Maybe more funding than they thought?

6 hours ago, marmle said:

Notice also that the email was received on the 9th (when the bulk of the others were). 

On 2/7/2017 at 10:09 PM, another_applicant said:

@another_student UTHealth does offer some funding for new PhD students. Unfortunately, the process is pretty unclear and I am not sure that it is guaranteed for PhD students (as is typical at other programs). I was accepted last year and received a phone call with a funding offer months after the decision - well after I had already accepted an offer somewhere else (with funding). 

@another_applicant Thank you very much, after the decision day would be too risky for me, I wish I didn't like the weather there so much...

6 hours ago, Robbentheking said:

What even is this process? Seems like a strange way of tackling 300+ applicants 

I have no clue but it certainly is annoying.

2 hours ago, MsHypatia said:

Notice also that the email was received on the 9th (when the bulk of the others were). 

Yeah I didn't see that, so they sent out some acceptances on the 7th and then rejections on the 8th and 9th.

It looks like everyone is still for the most part running on a later schedule than last year. I've only heard back from one program in the past week (and it wasn't even for stats lol).

Ugh someone posted a Berkeley stats acceptance (and it looks legit). From the past few years it looks like they spread acceptances/ waitlists out over a few days but if you don't hear from them in those few days you're rejected

I interviewed with Boston University for Biostats Phd before Christmas. It looks like they have made several offers already. Given that I haven't heard back for such a long time, I'm trying to accept the fact that I'm waitlisted or rejected. 

damn...I like their program a lot.

On 2/9/2017 at 8:56 PM, summer0617 said:

I just got accepted to Loyola (Applied Statistics) and American University (Bio & Stat).
Does anyone know about these programs?

I feel super lucky bc my profile is not that strong but I am still waiting from Iowa state, Oregon state, GWU  and etc..

Good luck to everyone!

I think the other programs on your list would be more attractive to employers. Hold off and see what happens. 

31 minutes ago, MsHypatia said:

This thread got quiet in a hurry. @marmle did you ever hear from Michigan? I haven't still. I'm thinking they are narrowing down the waitlist or maybe we're being considered for the masters program. 

No I haven't either, and it doesn't look like any stats results have come out since Friday. And yeah either they're doing a round two of admissions or (more likely) waitlists at this point. I would think though they still have a decent amount of rejections to send out too so idk. Idk if stats does the consideration for masters like biostats does (was it something where we had to check a box? cause if so I don't think I checked it lol).

And for those who applied to cornell stats, I emailed the department and they said they sent out offers last week and "may" be sending out more in a few weeks.

@marmle Not all stats schools, but Michigan does and yes, I think there was a box to check. However, people in the past have posted that they were asked upon PhD rejection if they want their application transferred to the masters committee (whether said box was checked or not).

Hello all!

Has anyone heard anything from Wharton for Statistics PhD? I was just looking at the results history and it seems they are late this year(?). Or have they already made offers and no one posted them on GradCafe? I am just a bit anxious.

Thanks a lot.

Edited by mansy2257

On 2/16/2017 at 9:22 AM, marmle said:

Another Michigan stats acceptance got posted so I guess they're doing a round two!

Looks like about 12 rejections and 4-5 acceptances have been posted for Michigan (PhD) the past two years. We're up to 8 and 3 so far this year. So, it seems like there will be a little bit more of both (hopefully more acceptances than rejections!). Last year there were a couple of waitlist postings as well. I have to say, I am more anxious about this result than any of the others thus far. There were so many results posted last week. I thought surely we'd hear something this week.