2017 Admissions General

I got accepted into Purdue's statistics MS program a few days ago, which seems unusually early since most prior MS admits came in mid March through mid April. Does this mean anything exciting? 

2 hours ago, pvacek said:

I got accepted into Purdue's statistics MS program a few days ago, which seems unusually early since most prior MS admits came in mid March through mid April. Does this mean anything exciting? 

Only if they explicitly state it does. ;)

On 2/19/2017 at 9:02 PM, pvacek said:

Yes it means you are awesome and other applicants in this forum (especially me) will be envious of you!

I am kidding, congratulations!!

1 minute ago, khsf45 said:

Has anyone heard anything from Johns Hopkins Biostats? I only see one acceptance posted, but I could be missing some. 

Actually, it's not even an acceptance just a visit day/interview request. 

1 hour ago, marmle said:

Weird that Wisconsin is sending out the phd acceptances without funding before sending out the acceptances with funding this year

Without knowing how funding goes it seems like a great way to save money. Find out who is willing to come work for free

3 hours ago, marmle said:

Weird that Wisconsin is sending out the phd acceptances without funding before sending out the acceptances with funding this year

I heard a lot of rumors about how poor the Wisconsin's stat department is especially after the financial crisis. I guess that's why every year they will send out so many offers (about 1/4 to 1/3 of all applicants, which is abnormally high) while only a few of people will accept the offer.

Edited by chisquare

17 minutes ago, chisquare said:

I heard a lot of rumors about how poor the Wisconsin's stat department is especially after the financial crisis. I guess that's why every year they will send out so many offers (about 1/4 to 1/3 of all applicants, which is abnormally high) while only a few of people will accept the offer.

There is no doubt that the state cuts on UW system has had impact on financials like offering of scholarships. But, the rumors of UW Madison's department being "poor" are totally unfounded. There are top notch researchers (both at the senior and junior levels). Several Berkeley PhD's as faculty. They just hired two Wharton statistics doctoral graduates as assistant professors. So, no suffering in terms of faculty quality. What is suffering is the campus' ability to give $$.

Just now, arima said:

There is no doubt that the state cuts on UW system has had impact on financials like offering of scholarships. But, the rumors of UW Madison's department being "poor" are totally unfounded. There are top notch researchers (both at the senior and junior levels). Several Berkeley PhD's as faculty. They just hired two Wharton statistics doctoral graduates as assistant professors. So, no suffering in terms of faculty quality. What is suffering is the campus' ability to give $$.

Sure they are one of the top programs. By "poor" I mean financially they are not as generous as other programs. As a graduate student, I believe having sufficient funding for myself is more important than how many big names in the department.

2 hours ago, statbiostat2017 said:

Without knowing how funding goes it seems like a great way to save money. Find out who is willing to come work for free

That might be true but it doesn't look like they've done that in recent years (in terms of sending out the unfunded offers first)

Hi there!

Can somebody please advice me on the following universities- University of Washington or Duke university or Columbia U for Master's in Statistics ? The parameters to be considered are:

1. Job opportunities upon graduating -
1.1. Are plenty of jobs available?
1.2. Which field do you get into generally after graduating from that particular school- finance,IT,medicine?

2. Class size (Does class size matter?)

3. Workload and opportunities to learn

Thanks a lot ! I am so very confused and would really appreciate some advice/opinion. :wub:

Have a great day

For those that don't mind sharing, where did you get in? Where DIDN'T you get in? Are you satisfied with your choices? I'm used to people having their status in their signatures but only @marmle is doing that this year. Still early so good luck!

@statbiostat2017  Sharing my admits/rejects below:

Program: Statistics, PhD

Admits: NCSU, U-Wisconsin

Rejects: CMU, Duke, Purdue

Waitlist: Booth for their Econometrics & Statistics PhD

Am happy about the U Wisconsin admit, really like the department and would love to go there.

The efficiency of Columbia Stats masters admission is unbelievable. Got accepted two weeks after I submitted the application. 

I heard some negative comments about this program. Between Columbia stats masters and Yale stats masters, could anyone give me some suggestions on which one is better?

Yale has a very small department, I guess that explains a lot about their relatively lower ranking. I visited the department last week and liked it a lot. Feels like it would be a better choice than Columbia. Any suggestions please?