Boren 2017-2018

MA2020

7 hours ago, UnawareInGeneral said:

Only 100 applications were submitted not the usual 500 or so and so they were all awarded..... 

..... meanwhile, back in reality. 

I thought you were serious. I almost had a heart attack from joy.

I wonder what is going on. I'm starting to really think that they decided to forgo the entire survey and just give us one email in April.

Very possibly. Maybe there's been no real effect to having people send them updates. Perhaps not enough changes from January 30th to February 28th warrant an update and their process has shown this to be true. *shrug*

21 minutes ago, UnawareInGeneral said:

Ah ha, THERE'S the budget update email.

It's out? I didn't get anything. Is that bad news? Didn't the budget email go out to everyone last year?

Got the email, but when I log in to update my budget, I go save my response and it shows that the City and Country fields of my current address are blank. Also, I noticed that one of my transcripts wasn't uploaded, even though I definitely uploaded it. Hope it saves my response to my budget update. 

UPDATE: Never mind about the missing fields. I emailed Boren and they said it was a glitch that should be fixed now. 

Edited by SwissMister

Yeah, I wouldn't freak out just yet if you're applying for the Scholarship. Since your deadline was later it's understandable that they'll send out your budget email a little after ours.

And I was also very confused why I had something that said I didn't upload my transcript correctly and that my recommenders didn't upload all of their letters yet. I called and it was a glitch. I better go check it now to make sure that things are in order.

23 minutes ago, UnawareInGeneral said:

Now that CLS results have been announced, commence making a fetish of obsessing about the Boren. 

And??? Don't leave us hanging.

Edit: Actually just read that you're going to Suzhou. Congratulations!

Edited by kbui

33 minutes ago, kbui said:

And??? Don't leave us hanging.

Edit: Actually just read that you're going to Suzhou. Congratulations!

Thanks! I'm pretty excited! I applied for a few programs, CLS was the one I felt like there was no way I'd get, of course that one comes through since I wrote it off the moment I submitted the application. 

Boren is a one in five shot if your application is a good one... CLS though, 8 or 9%? I just assumed I was not the sort of applicant they were looking for. I didn't realize till I did more reading that they do award many of them to grad students. 

It will make it a lot easier to get bad news for Blakemore or Boren, but fingers crossed on doubling down and winning :-P 

I don't think I need to double down, I just need to single down and that'll be enough for me. Haha.

I'm also applying to other things (not fellowship related) and going abroad in a couple days, so that should take my mind off of things. Hopefully.

13 minutes ago, kbui said:

I don't think I need to double down, I just need to single down and that'll be enough for me. Haha.

I'm also applying to other things (not fellowship related) and going abroad in a couple days, so that should take my mind off of things. Hopefully.

Well, I wouldn't turn down either CLS or Boren if offered both. I finish my masters in foreign policy and international affairs in May and with hiring freeze that was absolutely perfectly timed to prevent May graduates from seeking federal employment, a two month intensive language study in Suzhou is perfect. I'll be able to get the lay of the land and see what the hell is going on out there before I find myself going into the private sector instead of DOS or USDA where I wanted to go. CLS has given me the buffer to avoid committing to something that wasn't what I really wanted, Boren would just make it that much longer that I can wait and see while still improving myself in someway. 

17 hours ago, UnawareInGeneral said:

Well, I wouldn't turn down either CLS or Boren if offered both. I finish my masters in foreign policy and international affairs in May and with hiring freeze that was absolutely perfectly timed to prevent May graduates from seeking federal employment, a two month intensive language study in Suzhou is perfect. I'll be able to get the lay of the land and see what the hell is going on out there before I find myself going into the private sector instead of DOS or USDA where I wanted to go. CLS has given me the buffer to avoid committing to something that wasn't what I really wanted, Boren would just make it that much longer that I can wait and see while still improving myself in someway. 

That's cool. I meant that for me the Boren would be enough. I'm aware that people can take both CLS and Boren without having them being in conflict.

7 hours ago, kbui said:

That's cool. I meant that for me the Boren would be enough. I'm aware that people can take both CLS and Boren without having them being in conflict.

Ooooh I gotcha. Yeah, as long as you your Boren can move to start or already did start after CLS. Ez.

2 hours ago, mastersbound said:

Nope - applied for SAFLI which is probably the reason

@mastersbound in case you haven't heard from a friend or classmate, it says right in the email they sent everyone else 'with the exception of AFLI and SAFLI applicants' so you shouldn't have received it.