Boren 2017-2018

MA2020

3 hours ago, mattwigm said:

Whew I read the May thing and freaked out a little bit. 

Does everyone get notified at the same time? Fellowship, scholarship, AFLI, SAFLI?

That's a good question. From the past years it looks like the Fellows and Scholars got notified on the same day.

On 3/31/2017 at 2:58 PM, mattwigm said:

Whew I read the May thing and freaked out a little bit. 

Does everyone get notified at the same time? Fellowship, scholarship, AFLI, SAFLI?

SAFLI budget update email went out a week after everyone else - so not sure.

Gee, can't wait to find out about Boren... anyways, wanted to ask if people here started working with their prospective foreign schools to get the letter of affiliation (paying fees etc)? I was kinda hoping to find out whether I get Boren or not, and then make my moves... What do y'all think?

24 minutes ago, PhilzatBerkely said:

Gee, can't wait to find out about Boren... anyways, wanted to ask if people here started working with their prospective foreign schools to get the letter of affiliation (paying fees etc)? I was kinda hoping to find out whether I get Boren or not, and then make my moves... What do y'all think?

I'm going to wait until I make moves. I won't be going through a study abroad program and won't be studying abroad until August/September, so there should still be plenty of time after the week of April 17th to get things started.

I would say it depends on if you're going through a formal process or are leaving in May and the program requires a lot of visas and time to process, otherwise, another couple weeks won't hurt.

38 minutes ago, PhilzatBerkely said:

I would start looking into what the visa/immigration timelines look like for your country of interest. My program, which starts early August,  requires me to have everything submitted by April 7. That's not to say that my country of interest requires they be submitted that early, but many study abroad programs and foreign schools have their own timelines. 

49 minutes ago, PhilzatBerkely said:

Comment just before this was pretty much spot on I think. Be cognizant of the institutional deadlines, they are almost certainly earlier than Boren will insist on having your letter of affiliation etc. I know of borens from previous years (people I know personally not second or third hand) who have had to change their affiliated organization at the absolute last second so, having that all right now clearly isn't that critical for the Boren people. 

20 hours ago, mastersbound said:

SAFLI budget update email went out a week after everyone else - so not sure.

Yeah I applied for AFLI and got two budget update e-mail things. One that kinda confused me because it said "This is a budget update excluding AFLI and SAFLI" and it came out a week or so after everyone else. Then I received another e-mail a week and a half ago asking about additional costs for the AFLI program that said it was specific to ALFI. Oh well, just have to wait I guess!

12 minutes ago, kbui said:

This month is going to go by so slowly.

Busiest month of my entire semester, all the "grad school ends in 4 weeks" stuff is happening. No lack of distraction from the waiting game here. Still, it crosses my mind once a day probably. 

Same for me. Lots of projects and applications due for other courses and fellowships. Still, I'll definitely be counting down until the 21st.

I opened my email to,"Subject: Congratulations on your acceptance" and I was like already??? Thank God!

But then reading it further, it continued, "into the Boren Mentorship Program!"

4 hours ago, kbui said:

I opened my email to,"Subject: Congratulations on your acceptance" and I was like already??? Thank God!

But then reading it further, it continued, "into the Boren Mentorship Program!"

Maybe you have stumbled on the new "budget update request email", wonder if anyone else got this kind of email today. 

Ah. It's actually for a program for Boren alums that I signed up for, and so it's completely unrelated to this year's competition. I signed up for it months ago and forgot about it until now.

How does one know if they're a finalist? I read in past forum threads for Boren about people mentioning that they were a finalist.

Also, did anyone receive an email from boren after they submitted their budget updates asking for clarifications? I also read that this might be an indicator of being a finalist. 

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Guy_H said:

How does one know if they're a finalist? I read in past forum threads for Boren about people mentioning that they were a finalist.

Also, did anyone receive an email from boren after they submitted their budget updates asking for clarifications? I also read that this might be an indicator of being a finalist. 

Thanks.

So this is already answered in the thread twice, but nothing to do with budget updates is an indication that you are finalist anymore. They caught onto that. Many people received either one or both budget emails last year and still did not get the fellowship. 

It used to be the case yes, but it was soundly disproven that any of that meant anything last year and now they make a point of telling you in those emails that everyone gets the first one and the second one just means you were.... unclear. 

The national level panel that receives the regional recommendations is only now in the process of choosing finalists etc. They may be in the later stages of that process, but that is currently ongoing. According to the nameless Boren phone answerer that fields questions anyway. 

Edited by UnawareInGeneral

A friend who applied for a Boren fellowship this year asked me to post this question that he hadn't seen:

What happens if you cannot find a federal job for your required year of service after the language training? Do you have to pay back the cost of your language training?

This question is more relevant these days because of the federal hiring freeze. Is there a point where they write off your federal service requirement if you can show you are unable to find anything? Federal positions might be more difficult to find in the future.

1 hour ago, JerryK said:

A friend who applied for a Boren fellowship this year asked me to post this question that he hadn't seen:

What happens if you cannot find a federal job for your required year of service after the language training? Do you have to pay back the cost of your language training?

This question is more relevant these days because of the federal hiring freeze. Is there a point where they write off your federal service requirement if you can show you are unable to find anything? Federal positions might be more difficult to find in the future.

Yeah, I'll second the response above me. I know someone who is actively trying to dodge his Boren NSEP scholarship responsibility without paying it off. He doesn't tell them that of course, I'm surprised he's dumb enough to tell his classmates. He did however get a very similar answer but it was way higher than 30. If you could get out of it after only applying to 30 federal positions, the NSEP thing would just be a total joke. 

(Well, not surprised.... more... well, something other than surprise.)

1 hour ago, ladyben-kenobi said:

Does anyone know if we'll know our status when we get emails from the title of the email similar to Fullbright?

The bandaid is ripped off pretty quickly with this one, the email you are waiting on tells you if you are out, an alternate, or a recipient.