Boren 2017-2018

MA2020

I've been replaying the two emails that I may get and trying to see how I will react to either one, and I think I'm at a point where I just want to know either way so I can start making plans.

2 hours ago, kbui said:

I've been replaying the two emails that I may get and trying to see how I will react to either one, and I think I'm at a point where I just want to know either way so I can start making plans.

Same here. Just want to know what the next few months will look like. 

Did anybody apply to study in a country where there is a travel warning? 

I applied to study Russian in Moscow with my alternate program being in Kazakhstan. I would be ok with the Kazakhstan program, but the one is Moscow is PERFECT. It says on the Boren website that students can still study in a country with travel warnings if they and their school sign liability waivers, which I am fairly confident mine would. Is anybody else in a similar situation? 

2 hours ago, leenalady said:

I applied to study Russian in Moscow with my alternate program being in Kazakhstan. I would be ok with the Kazakhstan program, but the one is Moscow is PERFECT. It says on the Boren website that students can still study in a country with travel warnings if they and their school sign liability waivers, which I am fairly confident mine would. Is anybody else in a similar situation? 

I didn't know that Fellows could go to Russia this year. This website marked Russia as " *We do not anticipate sending students to these countries in 2017. You may still apply for a 2017 Boren Award to study in one of these countries; however, you must include a viable alternate plan in another appropriate country for the same language of study."

And UW Madison said, "*The Boren Scholarship may not currently be used for study in Russia.*"

But maybe this changed since they wrote it?

Edited by kbui

17 hours ago, kbui said:

I just got rejected from a program that I thought was a "sure thing." I don't know what to think anymore. I hope this isn't a bad omen.

hey kbui, really sorry that happened. I think everyone in this thread has been in your place one way or another. This rejection, like Boren, ultimately will not determine where you will end up in your career, it will only alter the path towards your goals.

14 hours ago, leenalady said:

hey, I know a Boren recipient for Russian and I'm sorry to say that kbui is right. The chance that they will allow you to study in Russia is 1/10 and you should prepare yourself mentally. If you receive it, you will not go to Moscow, you will have to go to Kazakhstan. According to a past Boren recipient I know, she does not know of anyone currently studying in Russia after receiving a Boren and the ones that she did know were moved from Russia to another location. Last year I took out my first loan to go to Russia for a semester, and I have 0 regrets. I would certainly recommend the experience for anyone learning about Russian culture or Russian language to go at some point.

Edited by ladyben-kenobi

4 hours ago, mattwigm said:

Does Tuesday count as mid-week? Or Thursday? I'm just getting nit-picky now.

I think Wednesday would be mid-week, and that it could land on both Monday and Tuesday. Thursday is more "end of the week."

On 4/13/2017 at 6:48 PM, leenalady said:

I applied for Ukraine this year (Ukraine is the perfect program for me but is also on the non-anticipated travel-warning list like Russia). When I talked to Boren before applying they said that if you apply to one of those countries, your application will be judged normally as if you were allowed to go there. And then if you were selected to receive an award, if they cannot send you to that country they will send you to your alternate.

What program are you wanting to do in Russia? I studied in Moscow last year and its an amazing city. The qualify of life is great and Moscow has, by far, the best public transportation I've ever witnessed. I was taking classes closer to the outskirts of city (MGIMO) and was working nearly full-time in the city centre and still had plenty of time for a social life as well. I hope you get to go to Moscow; you'll absolutely love it.

My alternative to Ukraine was also Kazakhstan. Which program there are you doing?

17 hours ago, kbui said:

The next three days will determine our fate.

I'll have one last chance. You can do the fellowship as long as you're matriculated, so the last ditch effort would be to apply again next year after all my classes are over and delay graduation until I get back. I'd really really really prefer to not have to do that because it'll mean I'll already have paid out Bar Study fees.

4 minutes ago, ladyben-kenobi said:

EMAILS ARE OUT. I GOT IT!

WOAH CONGRATULATIONS!! I hope you have a wonderful time! I just looked over your first post in this thread, you deserve it!

1 hour ago, SwissMister said:

Congrats, ladyben-kenobi!

Thank you so much, Swiss, please let me know your status when you receive an email.

1 hour ago, mattwigm said:

WOAH CONGRATULATIONS!! I hope you have a wonderful time! I just looked over your first post in this thread, you deserve it!

Thank you so much, the fight for Russian Language in my campus is far from over and I will definitely use this to my advantage.

43 minutes ago, UnawareInGeneral said:

Congrats Kenobi, I know this was really important to you.

Unaware, please let me know your status as well. I believe you also once mentioned that you received emails from Boren after the Budget Update email, super curious to see if it is an indicator for the fellowship scholars at least.

@ everyone who is reading

For the record, I only received the survey and budget Update email from Boren. Today I received an unofficial email with small details telling me about the status of my application.

Edited by ladyben-kenobi

2 minutes ago, ladyben-kenobi said:

@ everyone who is reading

For the record, I only received the survey and budget Update email from Boren. Today I received an unofficial email telling me about the status of my application.

I'm curious to why they would send an unofficial e-mail?

2 minutes ago, mattwigm said:

I'm curious to why they would send an unofficial e-mail?

it's not unofficial per say since it is from IIE, I mean unofficial as in it just says I was awarded the scholarship and some instructions but they did notify that I will receive further communication this week.