Projected Acceptance Dates for English PHD programs

58 minutes ago, Elle Coronaria said:

I’ve done nothing but check gradcafe for OSU today. I’m so nervous. I’m pretty sure I’m losing my mind. I definitely understand! 

The amount of people waiting to hear from OSU makes me even more nervous! I've already written off most of my "reach schools" because I have lower GRE scores. 

1 hour ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

This is torture. I didn't get an invite to Emory and now the silence is just killing me. I applied to OSU before my MA, so there's another entry for that app still in their system. I get 200 heart attacks a day it seems because I keep looking at that app status instead. :(

Ack! That's tough! 

45 minutes ago, Wooshkuh said:

The amount of people waiting to hear from OSU makes me even more nervous! I've already written off most of my "reach schools" because I have lower GRE scores. 

If any of the eleven schools I applied to makes me an offer, I'll be so thankful. OSU is great! Wonderful choice. 

On 1/18/2018 at 8:04 AM, Warelin said:

Columbia interviews for certain subfields. People have been accepted without an interview request. Following past trends, interview requests will go out next week!

A note on this: yes, they do interview for certain subfields, buuuuut I think they only interview people "on the cusp." I got an interview last year, but met a grad student this summer who said that she didn't get an interview but was accepted, and that a friend of hers in the same-ish subfield got an interview and was later accepted. 

Hey-- did anyone have a weird error on the Penn State app? I signed in randomly, and it's saying that my application is complete. However, it also states under "status" that didn't answer three required questions about their joint programs. I don't understand how that could have happened... I know I answered those three questions. 

3 hours ago, Elle Coronaria said:

Hey-- did anyone have a weird error on the Penn State app? I signed in randomly, and it's saying that my application is complete. However, it also states under "status" that didn't answer three required questions about their joint programs. I don't understand how that could have happened... I know I answered those three questions. 

Hey - I just checked my PSU app. Don't see that for mine - BUT - I did have a lingering Q about answering what field I wanted if I was an MA (I have an MA but I filled it out anyway because - why not). 

Are you able to re-answer them now? I don't know much about computers or anything, but glitches are definitely possible. 

@a_sort_of_fractious_angelThanks so much for answering. I really appreciate it. It's probably too late now-- they likely trashed my application automatically. Shut out last cycle, not off to a great start this cycle. I checked that application twice for errors after completing it, and read it out loud a third time. It's inconceivable that this could have happened. Bad luck, I guess. 

Edited by Elle Coronaria

3 minutes ago, Elle Coronaria said:

@a_sort_of_fractious_angelThanks so much for answering. I really appreciate it. It's probably too late now-- they likely trashed my application automatically. Shut out last cycle, not off to a great start this cycle. I checked that application twice for errors after completing it, and read it out loud a third time. It's inconceivable that this could have happened. Bad luck, I guess. 

Don't lose hope! As a Not-Adcom, I don't know how any of this works but - the questions may be required by the grad school at-large (and not the dept itself). If that's the case, the dept will have everything they need (WS, SOP, scores, etc.) and may just keep chucking along. If it makes you feel better, there is a thread in this forum (a few years back) with a comment from someone who applied late to an Ivy (Cornell? Columbia? It was a C school) - like the time-stamp clearly denoted that they had submitted 15 minutes after the deadline - and who got in.

If your app didn't say "Complete" or some big things were missing, I'd definitely be concerned. These Qs - I don't know if they'll trip a wire in the system (my fingers are crossed that they do not!) Moreover, they could have the answers on their end from when you originally answered them - my Rutgers app says a letter is missing but the dept admin was like "no, we have it." In short, the portals are weird and anything is possible.

12 minutes ago, Elle Coronaria said:

It probably is just a glitch.

My Northwestern app says "Materials Missing" but says everything is turned in.

3 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

Aww, you're too sweet, @Warelin. We should be hearing from Northwestern soonish, no? 

Around the 25th-27th of this month using past indicators. People have noted being notified via Phone, E-mail and Website so I imagine we'll know as soon as they release decisions. :)

4 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Around the 25th-27th of this month using past indicators. People have noted being notified via Phone, E-mail and Website so I imagine we'll know as soon as they release decisions. :)

Yes, more waiting! My fav! 

Also: I wonder how they decide which method to contact people. By fellowship? Level of interest? Dartboard?

Edited by FreakyFoucault

@Warelin @a_sort_of_fractious_angel 

My application says it completed 12/27. I also received an email in 12/27 saying that my application was complete and had been received. It's the status page that is telling me I missed "department required questions."

Thanks everyone for the pep talk. I really appreciate it. I was having a rather unpleasant evening. So much goes into these individual applications-- it's pretty devastating to find an error.  

I've been a lurker on gradcafe for a long time. I wish I joined in on the fun earlier!

9 minutes ago, Elle Coronaria said:

I really appreciate it. I was having a rather unpleasant evening. So much goes into these individual applications-- it's pretty devastating to find an error.  

I've been a lurker on gradcafe for a long time. I wish I joined in on the fun earlier!

I don't think any program expects perfection. :)
FWIW: The program I submitted to first was the first program to accept me.
Also: You're going to be in for a wild ride.

@Warelin Congratulations on Illinois! You must be so excited. 

Yes, I'm getting the sense that I'm not at all prepared for the next six weeks. My original plan was to apply to 17 schools, but I stopped after my eleventh application. I probably should have applied to 17... 

20 minutes ago, Elle Coronaria said:

@Warelin Congratulations on Illinois! You must be so excited. 

Yes, I'm getting the sense that I'm not at all prepared for the next six weeks. My original plan was to apply to 17 schools, but I stopped after my eleventh application. I probably should have applied to 17... 

Very excited!

Applying to a lot of schools can be very exhausting. :(

The fact that I’ll be hearing back from many of my schools soon is so nerve-wracking; I originally thought the anxiety from waiting would kill me and wished I could hear back sooner, and now I’m like, “Heh, it’s fine. Just never tell me. If I never know, then I never got rejected from anywhere, right?!”

Applied to UChicago (which wasn’t a right fit anyway) and didn’t get emailed about an interview. Guess that’s one rejection already! 9 more schools to hear back from...

Good luck to everyone on here! And thank you for keeping this lurker sane over the past few months!!!

Edited by TaliaTee

13 hours ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Anyone care to commiserate over OSU-related anxiety? I'm particularly on edge about that one this week--it could be any moment now, right? It looks like they have a tendency to update their portals a day or more before the emails go out, so I'm constantly logging back in to see if they've posted.

AUGH YES. I feel like it's probably the first English program I'll hear from, and I am Freaking Out. Also, I realized after submitting that the writing sample I uploaded was too long (can't remember if it was by 3 or 8 pages... :unsure:), so I'm not holding my breath.

And now that you've said that about the portal, I have an additional page to refresh. 

19 hours ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Anyone care to commiserate over OSU-related anxiety? I'm particularly on edge about that one this week--it could be any moment now, right? It looks like they have a tendency to update their portals a day or more before the emails go out, so I'm constantly logging back in to see if they've posted.

Maybe today is the day? I'm hoping so if for no other reason than my sanity's sake.

14 hours ago, Elle Coronaria said:

@Warelin @a_sort_of_fractious_angel 

My application says it completed 12/27. I also received an email in 12/27 saying that my application was complete and had been received. It's the status page that is telling me I missed "department required questions."

Thanks everyone for the pep talk. I really appreciate it. I was having a rather unpleasant evening. So much goes into these individual applications-- it's pretty devastating to find an error.  

Hi, hello, welcome! Errors are so annoying, especially when they're not your errors, but - if PSU is like, "you didn't answer this," you have (I think) every right to respond with "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE EMAIL!?"

I hope you get good news soon, too! I imagine that will take the edge off (I hope. I have so many edges, I don't really know.)