Projected Acceptance Dates for English PHD programs

4 hours ago, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

Hi, hello, welcome! Errors are so annoying, especially when they're not your errors, but - if PSU is like, "you didn't answer this," you have (I think) every right to respond with "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE EMAIL!?"

I hope you get good news soon, too! I imagine that will take the edge off (I hope. I have so many edges, I don't really know.)

Thank you! I think I just have the one edge now, particularly after being shut out last year. I only applied to schools that could support my research, so I just need one yes. 

I am fortunate enough to have a full-time administration job at a university, so I'll be okay if I don't get in. I'm trying to be more grateful for that. I'm just desperate for something a little more intellectually fulfilling. 

I hope you receive some good news soon! You have a fantastic list of schools. :) 

19 minutes ago, Elle Coronaria said:

I am fortunate enough to have a full-time administration job at a university, so I'll be okay if I don't get in. I'm trying to be more grateful for that. I'm just desperate for something a little more intellectually fulfilling. 

Thank you for reminding me to be grateful for this. I have a full-time job that I'm not super satisfied with, but if grad school falls through I at least have that. That desperation is exactly what motivated me to apply. That, and the rigorous routine of office life drives me a bit bonkers. I shouldn't be bored at my job--it's interesting, I like my coworkers, etc.--but I am...I spend a lot of time making other people's work better (I'm an editor), but I long to be producing my own work. 

Edited by JustPoesieAlong

2 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Thank you for reminding me to be grateful for this. I have a full-time job that I'm not super satisfied with, but if grad school falls through I at least have that. That desperation is exactly what motivates me. I shouldn't be bored at my job, but I am...I spend a lot of time making other people's work better (I'm an editor), but I long to be producing my own work. 

I'm in a strikingly similar situation! I work on programming for faculty research in the humanities. I'm always working with faculty members concerning their exciting research topics, while mine begins to wither away. It's hard to continue working on my own research with commuting + full-time + the general nonsense that comes with being an adult. 

3 minutes ago, Elle Coronaria said:

It's hard to continue working on my own research with commuting + full-time + the general nonsense that comes with being an adult. 

+ find time for a social life. 

.......jk. There is no time! 

12 minutes ago, Elle Coronaria said:

I'm always working with faculty members concerning their exciting research topics, while mine begins to wither away. It's hard to continue working on my own research with commuting + full-time + the general nonsense that comes with being an adult. 

Exactly! I would kill to just have enough time to read the things relevant to my research. With all of life's obligations, I can barely finish reading an article, let alone write something of my own. I know I'll find myself overwhelmed in grad school, but at least it will be more stimulating (future me will hate me for saying this, I know). 

1 hour ago, Elle Coronaria said:

Thank you! I think I just have the one edge now, particularly after being shut out last year. I only applied to schools that could support my research, so I just need one yes. 

I hope you receive some good news soon! You have a fantastic list of schools. :) 

I feel you, @Elle Coronaria - I was part of the shut-out crew two years ago - and I really admire your perspective. "All you need is one" is now the only thing my mother says every time I start to panic. And it's true - one school that has space for my research is the goal. 

And that's great you're in a university setting - I tried to enter to admin side of things after I finished my MA, as I wanted to be as close as I could to a dept (haha, desperate? yes.) Ended up in social media marketing/copy&content writing instead - it's fun, but I need a bit more brain activity than what I'm getting, so I feel you on that front as well. 

And thank you! I hope the same for you! And thanks! The programs are different but I'd really be happy at any of them. 

48 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Exactly! I would kill to just have enough time to read the things relevant to my research. With all of life's obligations, I can barely finish reading an article, let alone write something of my own. I know I'll find myself overwhelmed in grad school, but at least it will be more stimulating (future me will hate me for saying this, I know). 

I was just feeling guilty today about this, haha! I spent a lot of time rehashing my application but really very little time seeking out new work/developing new projects (time+paywall+life stuff). I'm eager to get into that grad-school kind of pressure cooker where everyone is reading and writing. 

21 minutes ago, clinamen said:

Hi everyone, not sure what this means but my application status has switched to "Final Review" for University of Minnesota.. Anyone else apply to UMN with a similar situation? Not sure if it's a good or bad sign! Freaking out either way!! 

Sounds like they're almost ready to make a decision! 

Edited by Warelin

10 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Sounds like they're almost ready to make a decision! 

I hope it's a positive decision and not just an early rejection! I may have self-"shellacked" by reading into it...

1 hour ago, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

I feel you, @Elle Coronaria - I was part of the shut-out crew two years ago - and I really admire your perspective. "All you need is one" is now the only thing my mother says every time I start to panic. And it's true - one school that has space for my research is the goal. 

And that's great you're in a university setting - I tried to enter to admin side of things after I finished my MA, as I wanted to be as close as I could to a dept (haha, desperate? yes.) Ended up in social media marketing/copy&content writing instead - it's fun, but I need a bit more brain activity than what I'm getting, so I feel you on that front as well. 

And thank you! I hope the same for you! And thanks! The programs are different but I'd really be happy at any of them. 

I was just feeling guilty today about this, haha! I spent a lot of time rehashing my application but really very little time seeking out new work/developing new projects (time+paywall+life stuff). I'm eager to get into that grad-school kind of pressure cooker where everyone is reading and writing. 

It's a difficult perspective to cultivate. Of course everyone wants a slew of acceptances! But when I really examined my motivations-- what I wanted from my life-- I came to the same conclusion you did. I want more than an office job can offer me. 

Social media/copy&content writing is a great path, too. I don't have that creative spark. My research is creative, but I could never write copy. Unless, of course, my supervisor was interested in REALLY bad puns. 

I agree-- between the time spent on the GRE and rewriting everything from the previous cycle, I just didn't have it in me to approach new research with my usual vigor. My writing sample is the distillation of work spanning several years, and reading it to butcher it (to fit writing sample requirements) really hindered my ability to approach it with the same curiosity and love. 

1 hour ago, clinamen said:

Hi everyone, not sure what this means but my application status has switched to "Final Review" for University of Minnesota.. Anyone else apply to UMN with a similar situation? Not sure if it's a good or bad sign! Freaking out either way!! 

Mine still says awaiting program decision

4 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Another hearty congrats to @FreakyFoucault for the OSU acceptance. Any news from others, @Narrative Nancy, @Elle Coronaria, @bumbleblu? My status still says pending and I might actually throw up. 

Mine still says pending too. I'm literally shaking. 

On 1/19/2018 at 6:17 AM, punctilious said:

I believe rejections often come later. 

Historically, OSU tends to send acceptances, rejections, and waitlists very closely together. If not today, I imagine everyone will have an answer by tomorrow.

University of Minnesota has also historically followed closely to OSU's acceptance dates.

7 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Historically, OSU tends to send acceptances, rejections, and waitlists very closely together. If not today, I imagine everyone will have an answer by tomorrow.

University of Minnesota has also historically followed closely to OSU's acceptance dates.

My UMN portal changed to "Decision Made" ...... what does it mean !? SO totally freaking out... 

2 minutes ago, clinamen said:

My UMN portal changed to "Decision Made" ...... what does it mean !? SO totally freaking out... 

It seems that a decision has been reached but it may need to be processed through the grad school first. I imagine you'll have a notification fairly soon. :)

48 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Another hearty congrats to @FreakyFoucault for the OSU acceptance. Any news from others, @Narrative Nancy, @Elle Coronaria, @bumbleblu? My status still says pending and I might actually throw up. 

Mine is still pending as well. Congrats to @FreakyFoucault