Projected Acceptance Dates for English PHD programs

2 hours ago, Elle Coronaria said:

Welp, glad I have two containers of gelato at home.

2 hours ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Yeah, I was definitely just thinking "Where the hell can I get some chocolate STAT??"

I just ate so many sweets from the office kitchen. The anxiety is growing by the minute lol.

Idk if this is relevant for anyone else, but I think Penn State will be starting to notify MA and Ph.D. acceptances in the next week. They sent out their first acceptances on 1/27  last year and on 1/18 the year prior, and the application portal has said for at least a week now that they are currently under review. Unfortunately, it looks like there is a large gap between when they notify their acceptances and their rejections, so we might have to wait a long time still. 

I know that someone had posted saying that Columbia is running behind, but I think that -- if they do interviews -- they should be sending emails about it in the coming days. I received mine exactly one year and one day ago! Let the email refreshing begin...

15 minutes ago, la_mod said:

I know that someone had posted saying that Columbia is running behind, but I think that -- if they do interviews -- they should be sending emails about it in the coming days. I received mine exactly one year and one day ago! Let the email refreshing begin...

Panic!

9 hours ago, mads47 said:

Idk if this is relevant for anyone else, but I think Penn State will be starting to notify MA and Ph.D. acceptances in the next week. They sent out their first acceptances on 1/27  last year and on 1/18 the year prior, and the application portal has said for at least a week now that they are currently under review. Unfortunately, it looks like there is a large gap between when they notify their acceptances and their rejections, so we might have to wait a long time still. 

Yeah....I have been anticipating something all week. It is definitely nerve wracking.

11 hours ago, Crow T. Robot said:

Anyone else waiting out Stanford MTL?

And @WildeThing, I see you also applied to Berkeley Rhetoric--any clue when we could hear back? Seems like their window fluctuates wildly from year to year...

I’ve got them down for late March, hopefully I’m wrong, seeing as it is a smaller program and had an early deadline.

3 hours ago, bumbleblu said:

I'm waiting on MTL. The app portal says they expect decisions mid-February, which seems about a year away. 

Right? And I was confused by the app portal, as it seems like the info on mine (on the "Checklist" at least) is 2 years old. Did Stanford mark your app "Complete" yet? Mine is still "Incomplete" and it still gives me anxiety, despite their messaging re. not worrying about that status and them reaching out to applicants they still need materials from...

4 minutes ago, WildeThing said:

I’ve got them down for late March, hopefully I’m wrong, seeing as it is a smaller program and had an early deadline.

Right, looks like they were late March last year (much to Gradcafe posters' dismay it seems) but early February in 2016. What a range......

25 minutes ago, Crow T. Robot said:

Right? And I was confused by the app portal, as it seems like the info on mine (on the "Checklist" at least) is 2 years old. Did Stanford mark your app "Complete" yet? Mine is still "Incomplete" and it still gives me anxiety, despite their messaging re. not worrying about that status and them reaching out to applicants they still need materials from...

Yep, mine's "incomplete" too, even though all the components on the checklist are marked as received. Maybe it means the review process is incomplete? Or maybe it's just that technology is prone to errors. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7 minutes ago, Warelin said:

So, which schools do you think will notify earlier than usual today? :)

Would be nice to hear from Delaware and Boston College, as they should be next on our notification list! Maryland would be wonderful but it’s still pretty early—they said we would hear by February 1.

2 hours ago, punctilious said:

Would be nice to hear from Delaware and Boston College, as they should be next on our notification list! Maryland would be wonderful but it’s still pretty early—they said we would hear by February 1.

I think (according to the results forum) Delaware has been a late Jan/early Feb school? Could hear middle of next week!

Edited by a_sort_of_fractious_angel

5 minutes ago, unicornsarereal said:

For those who have interviewed I presume? Ie, time to accept my implied rejection?

I would assume that date was for interviewees specifically. as it’s what the DGS said during my husband’s interview. I’m not totally sure whether all accepted/waitlisted applicants are interviewed for Maryland, however. I believe that is how it worked in past years, though I could be wrong!

I just had an extensive conversation with my elderly great aunt about the anxiety that comes with waiting for acceptances/rejections, but she assured me that she has been praying for me so I should be good. Despite not being religious at all, I found this very sweet.

Also, Penn State should be notifying today or tomorrow which will be my first for sure acceptance or rejection. Does anyone know if they traditionally inform people rejected at the same time that they notify those who have been accepted?

Edited by Dogfish Head

15 minutes ago, Dogfish Head said:

Also, Penn State should be notifying today or tomorrow which will be my first for sure acceptance or rejection. Does anyone know if they traditionally inform people rejected at the same time that they notify those who have been accepted?

Base on past years, it looks like they do their acceptances in 3-4 waves and then do their rejections in a couple waves :( I have also been freaking out, because I feel like it's my best shot of getting in anywhere. 

3 minutes ago, mads47 said:

Base on past years, it looks like they do their acceptances in 3-4 waves and then do their rejections in a couple waves :( I have also been freaking out, because I feel like it's my best shot of getting in anywhere. 

Yeah, I feel you. The program is a crazy good fit for me, and, because of the nature of the program, I probably would not have a good shot of getting in after I got a Masters degree from another institution.