Projected Acceptance Dates for English PHD programs

3 minutes ago, Dogfish Head said:

Yeah, I feel you. The program is a crazy good fit for me, and, because of the nature of the program, I probably would not have a good shot of getting in after I got a Masters degree from another institution. 

Right! Hopefully we'll both get good news soon. What's your area of study?

2 minutes ago, mads47 said:

Right! Hopefully we'll both get good news soon. What's your area of study?

Broadly, I am interested in 20th-21st century American literature and the digital humanities, but more specifically I am interested in science fiction, political and ethical theory, the representation of bodies subjected to violence, and technologies influence on literature and vice versa. You? I see stuff in your signature, but do you have any specific projects in mind?

15 minutes ago, Dogfish Head said:

Yeah, I feel you. The program is a crazy good fit for me, and, because of the nature of the program, I probably would not have a good shot of getting in after I got a Masters degree from another institution. 

You can still apply to Penn State's MA program even if you already have an MA. :)

6 minutes ago, Warelin said:

You can still apply to Penn State's MA program even if you already have an MA. :)

You can, but I was told by their assistant director that they tend to favor people coming straight out of their undergrad. They do accept people, though, and I would definitely consider reapplying.

4 minutes ago, Dogfish Head said:

Broadly, I am interested in 20th-21st century American literature and the digital humanities, but more specifically I am interested in science fiction, political and ethical theory, the representation of bodies subjected to violence, and technologies influence on literature and vice versa. You? I see stuff in your signature, but do you have any specific projects in mind?

That sounds fascinating! Yes, I'm hoping to focus more specifically on the theme of stagnant reproduction in American modernist texts. Ideally, I want to continue research I did for my undergraduate thesis about how these repeated Modernist stories of characters unable to or refusing to have children parallels the contemporaneous Modernist art movements that refuse to reproduce images of reality in a traditional sense. 

4 minutes ago, mads47 said:

That sounds fascinating! Yes, I'm hoping to focus more specifically on the theme of stagnant reproduction in American modernist texts. Ideally, I want to continue research I did for my undergraduate thesis about how these repeated Modernist stories of characters unable to or refusing to have children parallels the contemporaneous Modernist art movements that refuse to reproduce images of reality in a traditional sense. 

That sounds very interesting! Do draw from Faulkner at all?

25 minutes ago, Dogfish Head said:

That sounds very interesting! Do draw from Faulkner at all?

Yes! I read Absalom, Absalom! last year and I have been fascinated by in ever since. I haven't read any of his other novels though, just short stories, so those are definitely on the docket for the near future. 

5 minutes ago, mads47 said:

Yes! I read Absalom, Absalom! last year and I have been fascinated by in ever since. I haven't read any of his other novels though, just short stories, so those are definitely on the docket for the near future. 

HI! Awkwardly smooshing into this conversation to say Light in August is especially fantastic. I'm not a Faulkner scholar outright but I looked at LIA in my BA thesis and one of my MA projects draws on A!A! (I do hemispheric/transnational American stuff) and I got really excited to see that you, too, love Willy Faulks!

3 minutes ago, punctilious said:

I’m sick

:( feel better punctilious! Lots of OJ! 

4 minutes ago, punctilious said:

but a book review my husband wrote was just accepted by The Millions, so yay!

Yay, that's awesome!!! Congrats to him!!!

1 hour ago, mads47 said:

I have yet to read Absalom, Absalom!, but it has been on my to read list for forever. My first conference presentation that was not at my school was on The Sound in the Fury so William Faulkner is near and dear to me. 

1 hour ago, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

HI! Awkwardly smooshing into this conversation to say Light in August is especially fantastic. I'm not a Faulkner scholar outright but I looked at LIA in my BA thesis and one of my MA projects draws on A!A! (I do hemispheric/transnational American stuff) and I got really excited to see that you, too, love Willy Faulks!

Light in August is a high quality novel, my dude.

1 hour ago, Dogfish Head said:

Light in August is a high quality novel, my dude.

Wherever Willy is, I hope he hears this. But seriously - it's underrated and I'm glad I've a friend in (book) arms. Also, As I Lay Dying? A fan? I read it in undergrad - mostly a blur now, but I do recall "my mother is a fish." Quality line. 

18 hours ago, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

Wherever Willy is, I hope he hears this. But seriously - it's underrated and I'm glad I've a friend in (book) arms. Also, As I Lay Dying? A fan? I read it in undergrad - mostly a blur now, but I do recall "my mother is a fish." Quality line. 

Oh yeah, As I Lay Dying is a great book too. It is a really dark read and it always surprises me that he wrote it when he was a janitor at U of Mississippi.

35 minutes ago, youngim said:

I just got an email from NYU engineering :blink: Maybe they're telling me to switch fields...

Time to dust off the ol’ TI-84 and do some math! Now let’s hope you were paying attention in freshman calculus! 

8 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

AILD was my first experience with Faulkner. Right up my alley! 

As I lay dying is my absolute favorite book of all time. Yay!

2 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

Time to dust off the ol’ TI-84 and do some math! Now let’s hope you were paying attention in freshman calculus! 

Haha yeah! I'm asian so I'm supposed to be good at math but.... Let's just say I'm glad I no longer have to take the GRE Q section again! Hoping CMU will pull through at some point. 

8 minutes ago, youngim said:

Let's just say I'm glad I no longer have to take the GRE Q section again! Hoping CMU will pull through at some point. 

Yeah, I’m pretty happy that, given the amount of time it takes Jimmy and three friends to pour 80 bags of concrete, I don’t need to figure out how long it’d take Jimmy and two friends to pour 78 bags of concrete. 

And we’ll be wishing you luck for CMU! 

Edited by FreakyFoucault

11 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

Yeah, I’m pretty happy that, given the amount of time it takes Jimmy and three friends to pour 80 bags of concrete, I don’t need to figure out how long it’d take Jimmy and two friends to pour 78 bags of concrete. 

And we’ll be wishing you luck for CMU! 

It's 3am here and my brain is barely functioning... but I'm just wondering what JImmy needs all that concrete for. Umm...very suspicious 

Thank you! :)

Edited by youngim

25 minutes ago, youngim said:

It's 3am here and my brain is barely functioning... but I'm just wondering what JImmy needs all that concrete for. Umm...very suspicious 

Let’s hope he’s not a government contractor for a certain federal administration... not naming anyone in particular of course …