Projected Acceptance Dates for English PHD programs

17 minutes ago, biyutefulphlower said:

On this thread, my next school is estimated to reply around the 16th or so.  I'm preparing for another week of silence and cheering on folks in the acceptance thread.

I have one set starting the fifth, and I am so nervous. I'm going to be looking at cute baby animal videos all day. Best of luck through the silence but who knows you may get a (good) surprise. :)

Edited by KikiDelivery

4 minutes ago, and,vaster said:

I need to stop refreshing my emails and this page for Berkeley news. I should not have looked at the projected dates--so nervous!

I am so in the same situation as you. And I'm, like, bizarrely anxious that if I have the site open when it changes, it won't actually change, so I won't know if I got in. It makes no sense.

Has anyone actually contacted schools that they have implied rejections from? I assume that UChicago is a no, because they were giving out interviews and I didn't get one. But I don't really know the etiquette here. I don't want to pester them with an email, but I also feel weird about the lack of contact.

14 minutes ago, JessicaLange said:

Has anyone actually contacted schools that they have implied rejections from? I assume that UChicago is a no, because they were giving out interviews and I didn't get one. But I don't really know the etiquette here. I don't want to pester them with an email, but I also feel weird about the lack of contact.

It's generally considered bad form to contact programs at the time when they're the busiest.

2 hours ago, JessicaLange said:

It would be appropriate to contact them if you hadn't heard anything by April. But not now, not next week, not this month. 

5 hours ago, Ramus said:

It would be appropriate to contact them if you hadn't heard anything by April. But not now, not next week, not this month. 

I meant that's what I figured. I was just hoping someone else had done the dirty work for me lol

18 hours ago, Caien said:

I really thought we'd hear from NYU today or yesterday.

In my personal projections (based on previous years), I had estimated NYU around March 1 because I mistakenly looked at the MA admits. Now that I realize it might be much sooner, I'm freaking out! I'm expecting a lot of results in the next 2-3 weeks 

On 2/4/2017 at 8:37 AM, ChloeCriss said:

Are the acceptance dates for M.A. similar? 

If I recall correctly, M.A. dates are done later at most institutions. Programs like to notify their PHD acceptances first than look through their applicants to see who they'd like to take on as MA students depending on funding.

15 hours ago, JessicaLange said:

I do know that U Chicago is settled (in my wait list email they said "the committee has completed their work"). But I think, yeah--in general, no news is probably just bad news (bye, Hopkins :(). 

40 minutes ago, ThePomoHipster said:

Just saw that someone was accepted to Duke Lit following an interview and now I'm freaking out that I haven't heard anything from them yet. Ugh

You haven't heard from Berkeley, yet?

28 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

You haven't heard from Berkeley, yet?

Nope but I applied to Berkeley's English program, which doesn't seem to have sent out any responses. Did you hear from them?

7 minutes ago, ThePomoHipster said:

Nope but I applied to Berkeley's English program, which doesn't seem to have sent out any responses. Did you hear from them?

Oh, okay! I should have looked at your info better :) 

Yeah I did but for complit.

Accepting the fact that my first choice  is probably going to be a no as I haven't had a request for an interview and, from what I understand, that's pretty much a definite no, as they build their acceptances and wait-list candidates from their interviewees. It was a pretty long shot anyway. 

It sucks that I couldn't afford to apply to more places this cycle but at least I'll be in a better place financially to reapply this coming fall. 

(I know, nothing is certain yet but I'm growing pretty hopeless as the dates loom closer). 

Does anything ever really go out over the weekends? I assume that most emails/phones/website updates come during normal M-F business hours? Anybody know otherwise? (In other words, I can give my dangerously elevated heart rate a rest over the weekends and look to Monday for the latest adrenaline spike?)

8 minutes ago, Lesleo said:

Does anything ever really go out over the weekends? I assume that most emails/phones/website updates come during normal M-F business hours? Anybody know otherwise? (In other words, I can give my dangerously elevated heart rate a rest over the weekends and look to Monday for the latest adrenaline spike?)

I'd love to answer this with a no, but: someone last year got an acceptance on a Saturday.