Projected Acceptance Dates for English PHD programs

27 minutes ago, Lesleo said:

Does anything ever really go out over the weekends? I assume that most emails/phones/website updates come during normal M-F business hours? Anybody know otherwise? (In other words, I can give my dangerously elevated heart rate a rest over the weekends and look to Monday for the latest adrenaline spike?)

20 minutes ago, Warelin said:

I'd love to answer this with a no, but: someone last year got an acceptance on a Saturday.

Yes. It's not as common, but it still happens regularly. In past years, it looks like a lot of the POI phone call acceptances take place on the weekend, which makes sense -- they're usually too busy with day-to-day stuff during the week.

For what it's worth, the DGS at OSU just called me after 5:00 tonight (a Saturday) to talk about the program etc. In other words, weekends aren't really boundaries in this process...

35 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Yes. It's not as common, but it still happens regularly. In past years, it looks like a lot of the POI phone call acceptances take place on the weekend, which makes sense -- they're usually too busy with day-to-day stuff during the week.

For what it's worth, the DGS at OSU just called me after 5:00 tonight (a Saturday) to talk about the program etc. In other words, weekends aren't really boundaries in this process...

Can also confirm. Both calls I've received have come on Saturdays. One was at 2pm, another at 5pm.

Edited by Kilos

Has anyone heard anything from NYU yet? I keep checking the results religiously and am expecting a rejection from Emory since it appears the wait-list and admitted candidates were notified around the 8th. But I'm really hoping for NYU and am getting increasingly worried as I'm not hearing anything or seeing any news from anyone else. 

Edited by theburiedgirl815

8 minutes ago, theburiedgirl815 said:

Has anyone heard anything from NYU yet? I keep checking the results religiously and am expecting a rejection from Emory since it appears the wait-list and admitted candidates were notified around the 8th. But I'm really hoping for NYU and am getting increasingly worried as I'm not hearing anything or seeing any news from anyone else. 

Haven't heard anything either! Just seen a few other posts re: NYU floating around here that are people wondering when they'll get around to announcing admits. I imagine things have been somewhat backed up due to a lot going on in NYC and then the crazy weather on the east coast recently (NYU was closed yesterday). I've been verrrrrrrry tempted to call and ask what their plan is for notifying admits..

4 minutes ago, VirginiaWoolf said:

Haven't heard anything either! Just seen a few other posts re: NYU floating around here that are people wondering when they'll get around to announcing admits. I imagine things have been somewhat backed up due to a lot going on in NYC and then the crazy weather on the east coast recently (NYU was closed yesterday). I've been verrrrrrrry tempted to call and ask what their plan is for notifying admits..

Yeah I'm in CT and nearly everything was closed here as well. The joys of northeast weather! I was just curious because I noticed that a lot of other humanities programs are getting notified, but hopefully we hear something soon. 

When people post on the results page and date it a day later (so for instance it's 8pm Feb 15th, but there are results posted that are dated as Feb 16th already) - is that some sort of crazy time difference or typo or what? 

34 minutes ago, Lesleo said:

When people post on the results page and date it a day later (so for instance it's 8pm Feb 15th, but there are results posted that are dated as Feb 16th already) - is that some sort of crazy time difference or typo or what? 

Oh, shoot, sorry. The UVa one dated Feb 16th was from me! I have no idea why the date is set as Feb. 16. It's still Feb. 15 in my time zone, and I received the call on Feb. 15th. 

1 minute ago, Peppermint&Rooibos said:

Oh, shoot, sorry. The UVa one dated Feb 16th was from me! I have no idea why the date is set as Feb. 16. It's still Feb. 15 in my time zone, and I received the call on Feb. 15th. 

Lol. This was totally about the UVA update good catch (and congrats!). But I've seen it on quite a few different results here and there and I just didn't know what the deal was with it. Good to know I'm not living in some sort of horrifying, fluctuating time zone. 

This list of projected dates just brings up more questions. Well, it did help with Florida State. Brandeis says they let you know late February to Early March. But what's up with Vanderbilt? Actually, Ball State says Mid-February. It's the middle of February. I just...I need to know! xD

7 hours ago, Silabus said:

This list of projected dates just brings up more questions. Well, it did help with Florida State. Brandeis says they let you know late February to Early March. But what's up with Vanderbilt? Actually, Ball State says Mid-February. It's the middle of February. I just...I need to know! xD

Yeah, this list really has to be taken with a grain of salt -- it just a general idea that's based on when programs have notified in the past few years. Any number of factors can change the notification timeframe.

That being said, I'm also curious about Vanderbilt. There's that one anomalous waitlist on the board, and nothing else. It could mean that they took a very small cohort this year, and none of those people happen to stop by GradCafe, or it could mean they're doing rolling admissions, or it could mean they've completely revamped their process. It's hard (okay, impossible) to say for sure, though I suppose we'll find out soon enough...

8 hours ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Yeah, this list really has to be taken with a grain of salt -- it just a general idea that's based on when programs have notified in the past few years. Any number of factors can change the notification timeframe.

That being said, I'm also curious about Vanderbilt. There's that one anomalous waitlist on the board, and nothing else. It could mean that they took a very small cohort this year, and none of those people happen to stop by GradCafe, or it could mean they're doing rolling admissions, or it could mean they've completely revamped their process. It's hard (okay, impossible) to say for sure, though I suppose we'll find out soon enough...

Oh I hope not. I soooo want to work with Rachel Teukolsky. I was meeting with my MA thesis advisor earlier today and she asked: Well did you contact Teukolsky?

I was like: Noooo, I didn't want to come across as a ham.

Is the other acceptance from Temple around here somewhere? I did the same thing you did - checked the website and saw my status changed to accepted - any email or phone call yet? 

5 hours ago, Silabus said:

Oh I hope not. I soooo want to work with Rachel Teukolsky. I was meeting with my MA thesis advisor earlier today and she asked: Well did you contact Teukolsky?

I was like: Noooo, I didn't want to come across as a ham.

I'm waiting to hear from Vandy too. Hoping the (less likely) possibility that they've accepted all people who aren't Cafeing and all of us Grad Cafers are about to be rejected isn't the case.  

Just now, Caien said:

@Silabus! I just noticed your signature says 19th century Irish! We're so rare! What nineteenth century Irish texts do you work on?

You too?! I've only met one other person! HEEEEY! Let's be friends! Omg and you got into Notre Dame, GOOD ON YOU! *claps*

My textual interests though. Well, I know Oscar Wilde is a debatable Irish Author, but he is from Ireland. My MA thesis focuses on him.

Sheridan Le Fanu is great! Also, Lady Wilde (aka Spinoza). I'm also super interested in Victorian Medievalism, the re-telling of the Knights of Fianna in poetry and novels at the time.

What about you?!