Projected Acceptance Dates for English PHD programs

12 minutes ago, Silabus said:

You too?! I've only met one other person! HEEEEY! Let's be friends! Omg and you got into Notre Dame, GOOD ON YOU! *claps*

My textual interests though. Well, I know Oscar Wilde is a debatable Irish Author, but he is from Ireland. My MA thesis focuses on him.

Sheridan Le Fanu is great! Also, Lady Wilde (aka Spinoza). I'm also super interested in Victorian Medievalism, the re-telling of the Knights of Fianna in poetry and novels at the time.

What about you?! 

Ah this is so exciting! :lol:

I know there's all that nonsense about having to write about Ireland to be an 'Irish author', but that's a hangover from Yeats and we've kinda moved on from that in Ireland. I took classes in the house where Wilde was born, he went to Trinity, his father was a collector of Irish folklore and his mother wrote nationalist poetry, how Irish can you get? I don't work much on his texts though, Dorian Gray remains a complete mystery to me though I've read it several times. Have you read his children's stories? What's your thesis on?

Isn't it hilarious how they're all related or friends? Like Maturin is Wilde's great uncle and Lady Wilde was a friend of Le Fanu's, and Bram Stoker stole Wilde's fiancee and was a cousin of Arthur Conan Doyle...

As for myself, I'm a narratologist so I'm hoping to work on a project looking at the structures of key novels across the century: Rackrent, Melmoth, House by the Churchyard, Dracula etc. I'm also interested in some of the lesser know Irish female Gothic novelists of the Romantic period, like Regina Maria Roche and Ann Fuller.

Editing because I forgot to mention that the Fianna stuff sounds really interesting!

Edited by Caien

1 minute ago, Caien said:

Ah this is so exciting! :lol:

I know there's all that nonsense about having to write about Ireland to be an 'Irish author', but that's a hangover from Yeats and we've kinda moved on from that in Ireland. I took classes in the house where Wilde was born, he went to Trinity, his father was a collector of Irish folklore and his mother wrote nationalist poetry, how Irish can you get? I don't work much on his texts though, Dorian Gray remains a complete mystery to me though I've read it several times. Have you read his children's stories? What's your thesis on?

Isn't it hilarious how they're all related or friends? Like Maturin is Wilde's great uncle and Lady Wilde was a friend of Le Fanu's, and Bram Stoker stole Wilde's fiancee and was a cousin of Arthur Conan Doyle...

As for myself, I'm a narratologist so I'm hoping to work on a project looking at the structures of key novels across the century: Rackrent, Melmoth, House by the Churchyard, Dracula etc. I'm also interested in some of the lesser know Irish female Gothic novelists of the Romantic period, like Regina Maria Roche and Ann Fuller.

Lord hoping, wherever I do my PhD, they'll help me work out some kind of research venture at Trinity. I sooooo want to go there! Desperately! And you're right, he's pretty Irish! However there are still critics that say if you read Wilde you're only Hibernicizing his texts.

Dorian Gray is the centerpiece of my thesis on him! And yes, I've read his children's stories! I'm actually using The Happy Prince in my thesis. My thesis is on identity. In a letter to a correspondent Wilde once wrote: “Basil Hallward is what I think I am: Lord Henry what the world thinks me: Dorian what I would like to be—in other ages, perhaps.”  So the thesis explores identity as made up of these different aspects, the artist, the critic, and the art object. In it I talk about people being essentially creative producers, how being a critic is like being an artist of a kind, and how desire, what you desire and wanting to be desired, also plays a part in how you shape your identity. I use Wilde's works, critical, plays, short stories, to help inform this along with theories by Butler, Hegel, Dollimore, and others. I also reflect on other people writing art criticism at the time and who influenced Wilde, like Arnold and Pater--that's where Rachel Teukolsky (from Vanderbilt that didn't accept me T_T)'s book comes into play as well. It's not totally finished yet but it will be soon, I'm finishing up my MA this semester.

It is funny! It's made me think Ireland really is a small world after all! Oh I love Stoker too. I've had a period where I studied Irish Vampires so Stoker and Le Fanu were my go-to's.

Oh interesting! I know Fuller wrote gothic novels but I haven't read them. And I've read The Nun's Picture by Roche! But you're right, I've never studied either of them academically and they've never been mentioned. Actually, I've never had a professor who does any specializing in Irish Lit. The lady I work under now specializes in Trollope though.

On 2/17/2017 at 6:24 PM, Silabus said:

Well, I know Oscar Wilde is a debatable Irish Author, but he is from Ireland. My MA thesis focuses on him.

I just thought I'd chime in to say that my writing sample was focused on Oscar Wilde (from a major author seminar I took on him as an MA) and I was accepted to Texas A&M last cycle! (though, I'm really only a half-way Victorianist; interested in those late century movements, aestheticism/decadence/New Woman, and their bearing on modernist experimental texts).  I didn't end up attending, but not because TAMU wasn't a good option for me. I just ended up picking a place that had a little better focus on modernism and poetry. 

1 hour ago, Silabus said:

Lord hoping, wherever I do my PhD, they'll help me work out some kind of research venture at Trinity. I sooooo want to go there! Desperately! And you're right, he's pretty Irish! However there are still critics that say if you read Wilde you're only Hibernicizing his texts.

Dorian Gray is the centerpiece of my thesis on him! And yes, I've read his children's stories! I'm actually using The Happy Prince in my thesis. My thesis is on identity. In a letter to a correspondent Wilde once wrote: “Basil Hallward is what I think I am: Lord Henry what the world thinks me: Dorian what I would like to be—in other ages, perhaps.”  So the thesis explores identity as made up of these different aspects, the artist, the critic, and the art object. In it I talk about people being essentially creative producers, how being a critic is like being an artist of a kind, and how desire, what you desire and wanting to be desired, also plays a part in how you shape your identity. I use Wilde's works, critical, plays, short stories, to help inform this along with theories by Butler, Hegel, Dollimore, and others. I also reflect on other people writing art criticism at the time and who influenced Wilde, like Arnold and Pater--that's where Rachel Teukolsky (from Vanderbilt that didn't accept me T_T)'s book comes into play as well. It's not totally finished yet but it will be soon, I'm finishing up my MA this semester.

It is funny! It's made me think Ireland really is a small world after all! Oh I love Stoker too. I've had a period where I studied Irish Vampires so Stoker and Le Fanu were my go-to's.

Oh interesting! I know Fuller wrote gothic novels but I haven't read them. And I've read The Nun's Picture by Roche! But you're right, I've never studied either of them academically and they've never been mentioned. Actually, I've never had a professor who does any specializing in Irish Lit. The lady I work under now specializes in Trollope though.

His children's stories are WONDERFUL! The Happy Prince was my favourite as a child, but I had no clue it was written by Oscar Wilde then! Your thesis sounds great, and yes Ireland is pretty small to be honest. If you ever end up at TCD you'll probably encounter Jarlath Killeen - he interprets all texts as being about sexual repression, he sort of famous for it, but when we got to Dorian Gray, he was like 'We are not going to talk about sex today', and we were all like OMG, and proceeded to try and find the Irishness in Dorian Gray (I don't think we were that successful). Trinity's a great place to study Wilde, the house he was born on is on campus and the family home on Merrion Square is around the corner, and you get to hear all the fun stories about him and Bram Stoker's frenemy-ship while they were at college :P I really hope you get to do some research there!

On 2/17/2017 at 7:37 PM, HumanCylinder said:

I just thought I'd chime in to say that my writing sample was focused on Oscar Wilde (from a major author seminar I took on him as an MA) and I was accepted to Texas A&M last cycle! (though, I'm really only a half-way Victorianist; interested in those late century movements, aestheticism/decadence/New Woman, and their bearing on modernist experimental texts).  I didn't end up attending, but not because TAMU wasn't a good option for me. I just ended up picking a place that had a little better focus on modernism and poetry. 

Oh your input has been really helpful! Thank you!

What was your paper on OW about? I'm just curious.

Just now, Caien said:

His children's stories are WONDERFUL! The Happy Prince was my favourite as a child, but I had no clue it was written by Oscar Wilde then! Your thesis sounds great, and yes Ireland is pretty small to be honest. If you ever end up at TCD you'll probably encounter Jarlath Killeen - he interprets all texts as being about sexual repression, he sort of famous for it, but when we got to Dorian Gray, he was like 'We are not going to talk about sex today', and we were all like OMG, and proceeded to try and find the Irishness in Dorian Gray (I don't think we were that successful). Trinity's a great place to study Wilde, the house he was born on is on campus and the family home on Merrion Square is around the corner, and you get to hear all the fun stories about him and Bram Stoker's frenemy-ship while they were at college :P I really hope you get to do some research there!

I have to remember all of these things when I'm pushing the project forward! Once I get to a program I'll start working that out. Then I'll email people at Trinity like: Please let me come work with you and look at your stuff!

Yeah when I think Wilde, I don't really see a whole lot of Irishness. But, somehow, I really want to! Maybe that's a paper down the road.

On 2/17/2017 at 8:27 PM, Silabus said:

Oh your input has been really helpful! Thank you!

What was your paper on OW about? I'm just curious.

It was about his appropriation of a Narcissus figure as a trope of women's self-development, using phenomenology and a little Lacan.  I talked about Salome, one of his American lectures, and his editorship at The Woman's World.

Just now, HumanCylinder said:

It was about his appropriation of a Narcissus figure as a trope of women's self-development, using phenomenology and a little Lacan.  I talked about Salome, one of his American lectures, and his editorship at The Woman's World.

Oh that's so interesting! I use Salome in my thesis.

Using his American Lectures and his work in The Woman's World is great too! Those works don't really get as much analysis put into them. That's wonderful!

2 hours ago, Still_I_Rise said:

Just incase anyone is wondering-- it seems Syracuse is on target for their posted projected date. 

Thank you for this. I've been on pins and needles for both Syracuse and the University of Kentucky. Did you contact Syracuse?

Just now, Still_I_Rise said:

I was offered an interview through email from DGS, so yeah. 

Aw man. I haven't received an interview request from them. I'm probably out. Thanks for the information though, it's better to know than not!

1 hour ago, positivitize said:

Aw man. I haven't received an interview request from them. I'm probably out. Thanks for the information though, it's better to know than not!

You're welcome! I haven't seen much RhetComp posting on these forums.  

10 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

With the exception of a few late outliers, this should be the last big week of acceptances this cycle...

Good luck, folks. :)

Good thing there are no crying smileys on the forum... Because I would have filled many, many lines with those...

1 hour ago, Yanaka said:

Good thing there are no crying smileys on the forum... Because I would have filled many, many lines with those...

I feel you! I still have another week or 2 before the projected dates of my last 2 schools...here's hoping they'd send out notice early!

• 10 months later...

@Warelin, did you happen to create an updated version of these projected acceptance dates based on last year? I'm wondering if there were any significant date shifts in comparison to years prior.

Edited by punctilious
typo... I'm a graphic designer, not a lit person :P

6 minutes ago, punctilious said:

@Warelin, did you happen to create an updated version of these projected acceptance dates based on last year? I'm wondering if there were any significant date shifts in comparison to years prior.

I have one in the works! Will be posted later tonight. :)

I made a list for myself based on results on GradCafe last year. I just searched for each program and posted and usually chose the latest date on there, so as to not stress myself out if the date passes and I haven’t heard back (bound to happen). It is by no means scientific or accurate, and only involves the programs I applied to, but:

Stanford/Berkeley - Mar. 22

Cambridge/Yale - Mar. 9

Michigan - Mar. 6

Brown/NYU/Oxford/Princeton/Rutgers - Mar. 1

Columbia - Feb. 28

Penn - Feb. 27

Cornell - Feb. 24

Virginia - Feb. 20

CUNY - Feb. 17

Harvard - Feb. 16

Chicago - Feb. 10

UCLA - Feb. 2 (Note that UCLA pushed its deadline back by a month, so maybe this year they will take longer)

Also I dunno what the deadlins were last year and that might be relevant.

Arizona Late February-Early March

Arizona State Mid February

Berkeley

Early February

Boston C

Late January

Boston U

Mid to Late January

Brown Early February
Buffalo Mid February

Carnegie Mellon Early February

Chicago Interviews in Mid January
Claremont Late February

Colorado Mid to Late February
Columbia Late February
Connecticut Early February
Cornell Mid February
CUNY Mid February
Davis Early February
Delaware Late January to Early February

Duke Mid January

Emory Interview requests send out in Mid January.

Florida Early March
Florida State Early March
Fordham Mid February
George Washington Late February
Harvard Late February
Houston Mid March
Indiana University Early Feb to Early March
Irvine Mid February
Johns Hopkins Late January to Early February
Kansas Middle February
LSU Early to Mid March

Maryland Interview requests have been sent.

Massachusetts Mid February

Miami University Early to Mid February
Michigan Late February
Michigan State Mid to Late January
Mississippi Mid March
Missouri Mid February
Edited by Warelin

You rock, @Warelin! I didn't expect that we might be hearing back from Boston College and Boston University this month! My husband is really hoping for a Chicago interview invitation next week. We'll see what happens!

Good luck to everyone as the decisions kick it into overdrive!

Nebraska (Early Feb)         
Northeastern  (Early March)
Northwestern   (Late January)
Notre Dame     (Interview requests send in Mid-Late January)   
NYU       (Middle February)

Ohio State     (Late January)
Oklahoma      (Early February)
Oklahoma State (Early March)    

Oregon  (Late February to Early March)

Penn State   (Late January to Early February)
Pennsylvania     (Mid to Late February)
Pittsburgh         (Early February)   
Princeton             (Mid February)
Purdue   (Late January to Early February)

Rice       (Early February)
Riverside     (Early February)    
Rochester     (Early February)       
Rutgers  (Mid to Late February)

San Diego            (Early February)
Santa Barbara    (Mid February)
Santa Cruz           (Mid to Late February)
St. Louis               (Seems to be notifying as early as Jan 12)
Stanford              (Early to Mid February)
Stony Brook        (Early March. Interview requests may be sent to some applicants in Late Jan.)
Syracuse             (Mid March)

Temple  (Early to Mid February)
Tennessee   (Early February)
Texas A&M       (Early to Mid February)
Tufts      (Mid to Late February)
Tulsa (Mid February)

UCLA     (Mid February)
UGA       (Mid February)
UI Chicago   (Late February)  
UIUC   (Late January) 
UNC- Chapel Hill    (Early March)        
University of Texas- Austin   (Early February)
Southern California-  (Mid February)
UVA- (Mid February)

Vanderbilt      (Late Jan to Early February)

Wisconsin-Madison     (Late Jan to Early February)
Wisconsin- Milwaukee  (Mid February)       
WUSTL  (Early February)

Yale      (Mid to Late February)

Edited by Warelin