Projected Acceptance Dates for English PHD programs

12 minutes ago, punctilious said:

You rock, @Warelin! I didn't expect that we might be hearing back from Boston College and Boston University this month! My husband is really hoping for a Chicago interview invitation next week. We'll see what happens!

Good luck to everyone as the decisions kick it into overdrive!

Best of luck to your husband! Chicago is tricky. Applicants last year said that there were twice as many people on the "list: as there were interview spots. I'm not sure if they sent a follow up e-mail or what happened to people unable to grab a spot.

4 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Best of luck to your husband! Chicago is tricky. Applicants last year said that there were twice as many people on the "list: as there were interview spots. I'm not sure if they sent a follow up e-mail or what happened to people unable to grab a spot.

I did see a bit about the Chicago interview spots not actually being guaranteed--it seems very bizarre. I don't understand why they would do that.

6 minutes ago, punctilious said:

I did see a bit about the Chicago interview spots not actually being guaranteed--it seems very bizarre. I don't understand why they would do that.

Maybe they're looking for that special kind of panache that manifests only in a face-to-face grill session? I only wish it were the BBQ or steak kind of grilling. I could totally do that...

Also, best of luck to your husband, as well! Maybe with some luck, we'll both cross paths!

My guess is that Chicago tries to give a bit of lead time for candidates to prepare while they continue to narrow their list down to those they actually interview (short list to shorter list), but it does seem a bit harsh that people know they came close, but didn't make that cut.  I decided it would be bad luck to prep, but then got an interview and had very little time to get ready because the interview times were literally the next couple days after the email.

@screamingacrossthesky, that's good to hear. I love Chicago, but I'm not keen on the prospect of dragging my poor little Cobalt six hours in what'll likely be a lot of snow. Last time I did that, some random farmer had to help me dig the poor girl out of a huge snow/ice bank. Not fun.

Thank you, @Warelin - this is a fantastic effort and a really generous share. You've hit almost every school on my list which I really, really, seriously (srsly) appreciate. 

And good luck to all! It looks, for me, like a quiet two weeks ahead before things start to ~happen~ and I'm guessing (for most) that the upcoming week will be another, tortuously, terrible quiet week before Things Begin. 

Y'all have made it this far, which is nothing to sneeze at, and - SOON - will be rewarded with multiple offers from top programs. Go team. 

4 hours ago, Warelin said:
Arizona Late February-Early March

Arizona State Mid February

Berkeley

Early February

Boston C

Late January

Boston U

Mid to Late January

Brown Early February
Buffalo Mid February

Carnegie Mellon Early February

Chicago Interviews in Mid January
Claremont Late February

Colorado Mid to Late February
Columbia Late February
Connecticut Early February
Cornell Mid February
CUNY Mid February
Davis Early February
Delaware Late January to Early February

Duke Mid January

Emory Interview requests send out in Mid January.

Florida Early March
Florida State Early March
Fordham Mid February
George Washington Late February
Harvard Late February
Houston Mid March
Indiana University Early Feb to Early March
Irvine Mid February
Johns Hopkins Late January to Early February
Kansas Middle February
LSU Early to Mid March

Maryland Interview requests have been sent.

Massachusetts Mid February

Miami University Early to Mid February
Michigan Late February
Michigan State Mid to Late January
Mississippi Mid March
Missouri Mid February

UMD let me know last year by the first week of Feb that I was accepted, and the open house was mid-March. 

6 hours ago, Warelin said:

As one of those who were "unable to grab a spot," I can tell you: they did not send any notification! Super frustrating. 

Thanks, Warelin! For your hard work x 2. I was told for Rutgers that it was ok if my recommendations were uploaded as late as the first days of Feb. I wasn't happy to hear that. haha

1 hour ago, Yanaka said:

Thanks, Warelin! For your hard work x 2. I was told for Rutgers that it was ok if my recommendations were uploaded as late as the first days of Feb. I wasn't happy to hear that. haha

Was that for Comparative Literature or English? Was it for the main Rutgers campus at New Brunswick?

As an addition to this thread, my guess is that Boston University won't get back as early this year since they changed their deadline to January 5 (it was previously December 15).

4 minutes ago, punctilious said:

As an addition to this thread, my guess is that Boston University won't get back as early this year since they changed their deadline to January 5 (it was previously December 15).

Out of curiosity, do you know if Brandeis changed their deadline as well? I thought I saw an earlier deadline when I glanced over at it in October.

5 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Out of curiosity, do you know if Brandeis changed their deadline as well? I thought I saw an earlier deadline when I glanced over at it in October.

It looks like Brandeis had the same deadline last year according to Wayback Machine.

I was confused with BU because my spreadsheet had December 15 but then their website said January 5. I thought I had written it down incorrectly, but Wayback Machine confirmed that they did in fact change it.

On 1/13/2018 at 5:30 PM, Warelin said:

Was that for Comparative Literature or English? Was it for the main Rutgers campus at New Brunswick?

Dunno if this is helpful to you, @Warelin, but Rutgers (New Brunswick) English dept emailed me on Jan 8th saying that my application was "almost complete" (a letter was missing) and that the letter was due by Jan 15th. I'm not sure if a SOP or WS would be included under the umbrella of missing materials (as the SOP is uploaded with the Grad School application as well as later, along with the WS, CV, etc. - maybe?) but perhaps this info is of use to you.

Also, FWIW, the portal (as of today) is not updated - I emailed to confirm receipt that my application was now considered "complete" by the department.

25 minutes ago, punctilious said:

It looks like Brandeis had the same deadline last year according to Wayback Machine.

I was confused with BU because my spreadsheet had December 15 but then their website said January 5. I thought I had written it down incorrectly, but Wayback Machine confirmed that they did in fact change it.

I need to make some changes to my master spreadsheet. For some reason, I have Dec. 15 for Brandeis.

11 minutes ago, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

Dunno if this is helpful to you, @Warelin, but Rutgers (New Brunswick) English dept emailed me on Jan 8th saying that my application was "almost complete" (a letter was missing) and that the letter was due by Jan 15th. I'm not sure if a SOP or WS would be included under the umbrella of missing materials (as the SOP is uploaded with the Grad School application as well as later, along with the WS, CV, etc. - maybe?) but perhaps this info is of use to you.

Also, FWIW, the portal (as of today) is not updated - I emailed to confirm receipt that my application was now considered "complete" by the department.

That could very well provide insight into when Rutgers starts their review process. I appreciate the fact that Rutgers notifies you if they notice any missing materials and when they want it by. :)

2 hours ago, Warelin said:

I need to make some changes to my master spreadsheet. For some reason, I have Dec. 15 for Brandeis.

That could very well provide insight into when Rutgers starts their review process. I appreciate the fact that Rutgers notifies you if they notice any missing materials and when they want it by. :)

Yes - it's super nice. Rutgers seems like a great department. Very responsive to worried applicants. :wub:

FWIW, Temple does the same as Rutgers (Temple's department admin said I'd be notified in Jan if I was missing anything) and, while the app was due 12/15, the online portal (at least mine) was majorly updated and noted as Complete & Ready For Review just today.

It'd been "Incomplete" since Jan 2 (yet another missing letter) and I'd emailed her/had my LW resend on 1/8, but she never responded. Today,  the letter was marked as received by them on 12/13.

I guess I jumped the gun for panicking about my app, but I think your prediction for Temple as an early to mid Feb school is spot-on since it looks like they're getting ready to start now (for some reason, I recall seeing some past years having Temple as a late January school, but I could be making that up.) 

On 13/01/2018 at 5:30 PM, Warelin said:

Oops, sorry. It was for French at New Brunswick. Unrelated to this section, I guess!

On 13/01/2018 at 4:47 PM, FreakyFoucault said:

@Yanaka, this is completely unrelated, but your signature photo of D.W., crossed with what sort of reminds me of The Almighty Nicholas Cage, is priceless. 

Hahaha I love this image. I'm so glad you validate it.