Projected Acceptance Dates for English PHD programs

10 minutes ago, Crow T. Robot said:

Huge congrats, @Volumnia'sEdge! Interview season is getting real now.

Based on the lack of results posts re. interviews, should we assume that today most likely wasn't Chicago Day after all?

I guess so! They may forego the whole tentative interview emails this year, and maybe just send actual interview invites early next week?

2 minutes ago, punctilious said:

I guess so! They may forego the whole tentative interview emails this year, and maybe just send actual interview invites early next week?

Process improvement! I would love that. Much more humane, I think.

2 minutes ago, Crow T. Robot said:

Process improvement! I would love that. Much more humane, I think.

Agreed! I would prefer the humane method, even if it means we hear back a bit later.

4 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

I've consulted my childhood Magic 8 Ball; its conclusion is as follows:

OUTCOME IS UNCERTAIN

Unfortunately, I think @FreakyFoucault is right.

19 minutes ago, Crow T. Robot said:

Based on the lack of results posts re. interviews, should we assume that today most likely wasn't Chicago Day after all?

It's hard to say. Chicago has split notification days in the past. And we're only aware that it was Notre Dame Day (and Duke?) because somebody posted their results. Chicago and Notre Dame usually result in a few posts though. I'm curious if the number of admitted students decreased from the previous 2-3 cycles.

4 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Unfortunately, I think @FreakyFoucault is right.

It's hard to say. Chicago has split notification days in the past. And we're only aware that it was Notre Dame Day (and Duke?) because somebody posted their results. Chicago and Notre Dame usually result in a few posts though. I'm curious if the number of admitted students decreased from the previous 2-3 cycles.

I wonder what percentage of admitted/interviewed applicants post their results here...

14 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

For the model's sake, we must assume they're all accurate!!!! Why would random people on the Internet inflate statistics about their lives???

Some people mix up their Verbal and Quant scores. Others may be applying to more than one type of program and get schools mixed up. I'd imagine that English, Literature, Rhetoric, Comparative Literature, and Gender Studies might be some of the programs that have the potential to be misreported. Rhetoric can be tricky because it's housed under English in some schools while serving as a standalone department at others. Literature and English are the same at some schools. But there's also Duke which considers them to be two separate departments with some overlaps.

11 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Some people mix up their Verbal and Quant scores. Others may be applying to more than one type of program and get schools mixed up. I'd imagine that English, Literature, Rhetoric, Comparative Literature, and Gender Studies might be some of the programs that have the potential to be misreported. Rhetoric can be tricky because it's housed under English in some schools while serving as a standalone department at others. Literature and English are the same at some schools. But there's also Duke which considers them to be two separate departments with some overlaps.

Some grains of salt notwithstanding, I tend to accept the data as given. I don't see much of a reason to lie about application stats anonymously. I guess one could do it for the purposes of self-validation, but that'd be some grade-A delusion. At any rate, none of it is dispositive or predictive since each applicant's case is different. But it's still good for passing the time! 

I also agree that there's room for unintentional error. But those are probably skewed more toward exceptional cases, like the ones you mentioned.

Edited by FreakyFoucault
Covering the logical bases...

3 hours ago, Crow T. Robot said:

Ok I have absolutely very little evidence for this besides a strong gut feeling, but I feel like Chicago is gonna send out their invites tomorrow afternoon. It seems that in past years, their various notification waves happened on Fridays and it would make sense that they would want to send everything out right before the weekend so that they don't have to deal with a wave of panicked and upset calls right away. 

Again, this is just my unfounded theory based mostly on the fact that I really hope Chicago hasn't sent out interview invites yet.

Inside scoop! I called Columbia (because they are still saying my reference isnt in which is WEIRD AND BAD)

The woman said the graduate coordinator left her position a few weeks ago and basically said it was crazy there. Wouldn't be surprised if the department got things out later than usual.

8 minutes ago, katie64 said:

Does anyone know if depts tend to send out PhD acceptances/rejections before MA, or are they sent around the same time? 

That really depends on the programs. Some programs send them out at the same time. Some may consider those who applied for the PHD program for their MA program instead.

I was totally prepared to hear news about Chicago this week. In fact, I thought today would surely be the day they'd send out interview requests, but I figure since it's almost 7 pm in Chicago at this point we won't be hearing from them after all. That being said I can't believe all of the news we have gotten today--e.g. Harvard. I didn't apply but am definitely surprised that they have sent out decisions this early. 

I'm wondering if my projections based on last year are going to prove totally useless and all bets are off! :unsure:

I received an email from Fordham yesterday saying that if I complete my application before Wednesday 24th they would consider it (I left it unfinished because I didn’t have the time or money to have my international transcripts evaluated). I don’t know if this is standard practice but I guess that any applicant shouldn’t expect anything for a while longer.

I dreamt last night that I was ushered into a room with others to receive my Yale letter. A bunch of people promptly left and the accepted stayed behind. I couldn't find the letter so I was like "must mean i'm in!" Turned out I was rejected and had to be ushered out in front of everyone and put on a helicopter. Total nightmare that confirms I am going crazy. I'm working on a paper and for the life of me cannot focus!!