2017 Acceptances

4 minutes ago, Zeromus1337 said:

I've been waitlisted at the CUNY Grad Center. Found out yesterday. 306 people sent packages! I'm a Victorianist! So close! I'll be going to the Open House on March 17th.

Typically, they only extend offers to about 20, but I was told 25 yesterday for this admissions cycle. 

The portal does not update for those waitlisted. It didn't for me at least.

Thank you for this! I can assume it is a implied rejection... 

Congratulations to you! I just watched their Open House recording on the Youtube days before.

Edited by Lovegood

17 minutes ago, anxiousgrad said:

@Lovegood @natalielouise I have been assuming it was posted by the weirdo who keeps posting things about NYU trolling us. He or she has some weird vendetta against NYU and has been acting strange on here for a while. 

If someone legitimate can claim the acceptance, then my apologies!

who's that??!!

I read stuff about NYU from a dude/tte who got rejected last year or so, and who dissed Foucault and Butler lol!

maybe it's the same person? hahaha

3 minutes ago, KTF87 said:

who's that??!!

I read stuff about NYU from a dude/tte who got rejected last year or so, and who dissed Foucault and Butler lol!

maybe it's the same person? hahaha

That's who I suspect.

s/he could also be the hacker who brought down this partiucular thread! haha

The whole forum was down, not just this thread. 

5 minutes ago, anxiousgrad said:

That's who I suspect.

The whole forum was down, not just this thread. 

I am not sure that's the case, it could be though. But I remember seeing many active and updated and recent posts elsewhere.

but anyway, if you're right, then s/he could be a very bad hacker

7 minutes ago, Lovegood said:

Does anyone know about University of Stirling from UK? I applied by coincidence and got admitted in The Gothic Imagination MPhil, but...it's a MA program without funding, I don't know if it worth the money, or will help me with further Ph.D application, because Gothic Lit is kind of my reading interest, not one of my academic interest. :(

I'm not sure about the program, but my advisors, undergraduate professors...everyone has strongly guided me against accepting any non-funded or even partially funded offers. Their reasoning is that unlike doctors or veterinarians, funding for graduate school isn't impossible to find (though, as we all know, the application process makes it difficult to guarantee). However, we won't make enough money (on average) to be able to comfortably pay off any loans. Some of my colleagues and professors are still paying off their loans, and they're tenured. 

I was told that it's always better to sit out a year, strengthen my application, and work than commit to that kind of financial burden. Again, I don't know about your program, but just some general advice I've received!

6 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

What do Foucault and Butler have to do with NYU?! haha

hahahahaha beats me!!

but there was clear medieval borderline shakesperean anger towards what s/he referred to as mental masturbation in Foucault and Butler (sugarcoating here)

7 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

NYU seems to make a lot of people angry :lol: 

more reason to love them, wait for them and stalk them!! vicious!!

:(:(

2 minutes ago, engphiledu said:

I'm not sure about the program, but my advisors, undergraduate professors...everyone has strongly guided me against accepting any non-funded or even partially funded offers. Their reasoning is that unlike doctors or veterinarians, funding for graduate school isn't impossible to find (though, as we all know, the application process makes it difficult to guarantee). However, we won't make enough money (on average) to be able to comfortably pay off any loans. Some of my colleagues and professors are still paying off their loans, and they're tenured. 

I was told that it's always better to sit out a year, strengthen my application, and work than commit to that kind of financial burden. Again, I don't know about your program, but just some general advice I've received!

Thank you engphiledu, I don't want to have that kind of financial burden for my family neither. Wish me good luck to get admitted in any funded program!

@Wyatt's Terps, I am not sure it is about patience, as far i am concerned of course!
for me, it's about the ambivalence and confusion, and remaining in the "i don't know what's going" phase that is draining and overwhelming. I can wait for months if they can just give a frame of what's to come, even with some caveat. I can be as patient as they want me to be in this case, but otherwise I am not sure patience is relevant

Where's the ambivalence and confusion? When you boil it all down, it's a case of them letting you know when they're ready to let you know. It really is as simple as that.

Ph.D. programs are making around a $100,000 investment (on average) in their acceptances...and I'm not even considering waived tuition and travel stipends in that approximation. You can rest assured that they have to be well-considered decisions from an institutional standpoint, and that simply has to be their first consideration...especially in a day and age where funding for our very field is rapidly dwindling.

If this were a situation where you have no idea if they will ever let you know about acceptance / waitlist / rejection, that would be one thing...but that's simply not the case. You know that they HAVE to inform you by April 15th (with a few minor exceptions), so that is the frame that you're yearning for, and it already exists. In other words, it really does come down to being patient and respecting the process.

I'm not going to say any more on this topic, as I'm frankly a little annoyed that this isn't just common sense. I recognize that emotions are running high right now, but be that as it may, I don't like this implication that programs need to kowtow and be utterly transparent about every facet of their process to their applicants. It's way too much to expect, and simply doesn't factor in the sheer enormity of the job admissions personnel have to do.

6 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

It's way too much to expect, and simply doesn't factor in the sheer enormity of the job admissions personnel have to do.

Out of upvotes, but I concur. I've been blessed to have acceptances this early this admission season, but for MA programs, I know I waited until at least late February to have received any good news at all. My husband waited until late March to hear anything for his MA applications.

I think someone else mentioned that there are many times we are asked to wait, especially in academia. I just waited six months to receive a rejection from a publication. Others have to wait even longer, and imagine if you are trying to get tenure.

By no means am I or @Wyatt's Terps trying to invalidate anyone's feelings or shut people down. It's frustrating and horrible to be left in this kind of purgatory. But, admissions committees are composed of the same type of people you admire - professors who have too many responsibilities as it is, but who take an investment in the future of their department. 

It's only been since December for many of us that the first deadline was due (or late November). I promise, the majority of our programs will notify by late February or early March. But, if they receive calls and emails from applicants, it will just slow the process down.

Again, not trying to ruffle feathers, and I know some of you are just joking about making calls, but please just wait for the process to take the time it needs.

Much love --

8 minutes ago, engphiledu said:

Out of upvotes, but I concur. I've been blessed to have acceptances this early this admission season, but for MA programs, I know I waited until at least late February to have received any good news at all. My husband waited until late March to hear anything for his MA applications.

I think someone else mentioned that there are many times we are asked to wait, especially in academia. I just waited six months to receive a rejection from a publication. Others have to wait even longer, and imagine if you are trying to get tenure.

By no means am I or @Wyatt's Terps trying to invalidate anyone's feelings or shut people down. It's frustrating and horrible to be left in this kind of purgatory. But, admissions committees are composed of the same type of people you admire - professors who have too many responsibilities as it is, but who take an investment in the future of their department. 

It's only been since December for many of us that the first deadline was due (or late November). I promise, the majority of our programs will notify by late February or early March. But, if they receive calls and emails from applicants, it will just slow the process down.

Again, not trying to ruffle feathers, and I know some of you are just joking about making calls, but please just wait for the process to take the time it needs.

Much love --

:wub::wub: much love to the both of you and all others!!
<3 <3 - is there no heart emoji?

I GOT ACCEPTED INTO THE MICHIGAN STATE UNI`S PHD ENGLISH PROGRAM YESTERDAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE beyond ecstatic. there are a couple of professors at MSU`s english that I`d love to work with. The second acceptance of the season. They say they cant offer any funding at the moment but they have put me on a waitlist for funding

does anyone here have an idea how the funding process works? What are my chances of getting the funding? im an international applicant and dont know much about the way things work at north american unis.

I`d really appreciate if someone could please respond to my query .

PS: is there any thread for NYU`s near eastern studies masters 2017 applicants around here, please??

and good luck everyone with the application process. May the odds be ever in your favor :)

Applied: Cornell, Upenn, Brown, Indiana Uni Bloomington, King`s College London, MSU, Warwick UK, NYU

Accepted : King`s, MSU

Rejected: 

Waitlisted: 

14 minutes ago, MadihaG said:

I GOT ACCEPTED INTO THE MICHIGAN STATE UNI`S PHD ENGLISH PROGRAM YESTERDAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE beyond ecstatic. there are a couple of professors at MSU`s english that I`d love to work with. The second acceptance of the season. They say they cant offer any funding at the moment but they have put me on a waitlist for funding

does anyone here have an idea how the funding process works? What are my chances of getting the funding? im an international applicant and dont know much about the way things work at north american unis.

I`d really appreciate if someone could please respond to my query .

PS: is there any thread for NYU`s near eastern studies masters 2017 applicants around here, please??

and good luck everyone with the application process. May the odds be ever in your favor :)

Applied: Cornell, Upenn, Brown, Indiana Uni Bloomington, King`s College London, MSU, Warwick UK, NYU

Accepted : King`s, MSU

Rejected: 

Waitlisted: 

holy crap!! that's f****** aweome!! congrats!!!!!!!
i have no idea how it is when it comes to MA funding (im an international student applyin for a PhD, but I can tell you it's about availability and waitlisting - maybe someone will reject their spot and their money will be yours!) I am not sure at all though, but fingers crossed that this would be the case!!!!!!!!

congrats again and keep the faith!

Lurker slinking out of the shadows with a question ... anyone here one of the people accepted to NCSU's Communication, Rhetoric and Digital Media (CRDM) PhD? If so, have you heard anything else from them beyond the generic application portal letter - funding, visit, any details at all?

59 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Ph.D. programs are making around a $100,000 investment (on average) in their acceptances...and I'm not even considering waived tuition and travel stipends in that approximation. You can rest assured that they have to be well-considered decisions from an institutional standpoint, and that simply has to be their first consideration...especially in a day and age where funding for our very field is rapidly dwindling.

Totally agree. That's what I keep telling people in my life: as much as these rejections suck, they have to make hard choices because there is a lot at stake. Thanks for pointing this out! I know it's not something I immediately thought of when I was working on applications. 

1 hour ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Where's the ambivalence and confusion? When you boil it all down, it's a case of them letting you know when they're ready to let you know. It really is as simple as that.

If this were a situation where you have no idea if they will ever let you know about acceptance / waitlist / rejection, that would be one thing...but that's simply not the case. You know that they HAVE to inform you by April 15th (with a few minor exceptions), so that is the frame that you're yearning for, and it already exists. In other words, it really does come down to being patient and respecting the process.

I'm not going to say any more on this topic, as I'm frankly a little annoyed that this isn't just common sense. I recognize that emotions are running high right now, but be that as it may, I don't like this implication that programs need to kowtow and be utterly transparent about every facet of their process to their applicants. It's way too much to expect, and simply doesn't factor in the sheer enormity of the job admissions personnel have to do.

I think it's also important to note that the admissions committee also has responsibilities: In addition to being on the committee, other responsibilities may include: preparing lectures for class(es), grading essays, meeting with students outside class for help, develop new classes, supervise and evaluate graduate student teaching, evaluating teaching by colleagues up for tenure, attend department colloquia, write letters of recommendation for students on jobs, graduate schools, scholarships, and other programs, supervise graduate student research, read and evaluate Ph.D oral examinations, write grant proposals, monitor spending from grants, write papers for publication, read scholarly journals to stay current, edit academic journals,  participate in faculty meetings and committees, respond to information requests from college administrators, give public lectures, participate in or host faculty searches, give presentations to promote university, supervise independent studies or master's theses, guide student research. This is not an exhaustive list and they may be raising a family or have other family obligations in addition to this.

Edited by Warelin