2017 Acceptances

I'm thinking if we haven't heard anything from UVA yet, it's an implied rejection perhaps? I only see once acceptance on the board, but if the waitlist notifications have gone out, it makes sense that no news is bad news, yeah? 

Have had email correspondence with University of Cincinnati lit professor letting me know they loved my application ("read it with great pleasure and admiration") and "very interested" in me for their PhD program, but that they don't yet know about funding, and they'll let me know as soon as they know. Asking me to keep them in mind and let them know if my application status changes. Was very surprised to hear from them this soon; UC's application wasn't due until Jan. 15. This would be, practically speaking, a great fit for me (the university where I live), because I'm older than the average PhD student (a fool who has decided to leave a tenured high school teaching career to "follow my dream"). 

I only see one University of Cincinnati post on the results page; don't think they've actually sent official acceptances and rejections via the grad school yet, but If anyone has a yes with certain funding and you know you won't be accepting, let them know soon for my sake, ha.

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 3:20 PM, Silabus said:

Same! I applied to Cornell! I REALLY want in on their Theory department! They are one of the best schools for Literary Theory in the country! UGH!

ok, question about this, from a long(!)-time lurker---I found out Tuesday that I was accepted to Cornell, and I was accepted a while ago to Chicago. Am interested in visual art, theory, and poetics. Out of those two depts, which would people recommend? Would v much appreciate help! ?

Edited by everyblueline

2 minutes ago, imogenshakes said:

I got an acceptance email from UCSB today!!!!! I am in shock and utter disbelief that I got in to all of my stretch schools. And that oceanside  campus sounds reeeallllllly nice

Congrats, that's so amazing! Really rooting for you to pull-off the clean sweep! Hell of an accomplishment no matter what though. That campus is really something for sure. One of my good friends is heading out there next week for interviews for art history, sounds like its an awesome school. 

1 hour ago, everyblueline said:

ok, question about this, from a long(!)-time lurker---I found out Tuesday that I was accepted to Cornell, and I was accepted a while ago to Chicago. Am interested in visual art, theory, and poetics. Out of those two depts, which would people recommend? Would v much appreciate help! ?

Oh that's tough. Well, I mean, that's really something you have to decide for yourself. However, I'll give you my two cents.

If you want to go Visual Art, Theory, and Poetics, then I think Chicago is a better choice. Not to mention they're pretty cutting edge there too. Now, if you really love theory and the prestige of an Ivy League, go Cornell.

9 hours ago, Mippipopolous said:

Congrats, that's so amazing! Really rooting for you to pull-off the clean sweep! Hell of an accomplishment no matter what though. That campus is really something for sure. One of my good friends is heading out there next week for interviews for art history, sounds like its an awesome school. 

Thank you! I already know that I'm likely going to end up in California so the last bit of news doesn't really matter at this point, but it would still be quite awesome to have a clean sweep. 

9 hours ago, Peppermint&Rooibos said:

Huge congrats!! So happy for you!!

Thanks a million! ?

On 2/16/2017 at 7:56 PM, everyblueline said:

Both schools are well-sought after schools on both the undergraduate and graduate level. Both schools are ranked 8th under USNew's ranking for English so it's hard to distinguish them. While Cornell is an Ivy-League, it's important to remember that it just refers to the sports conference that it belongs to. Cornell has about 3x as many undergrads than Chicago does, but Chicago is in the 3rd biggest city in the US if that makes a difference for you. Chicago tends to be less rainier and gets less snow than Ithaca. In turn, Ithaca has slightly less expensive food and less traffic.

14 minutes ago, chamakay said:

Congrats to everyone! Has anyone else here been accepted to Santa Barbara? I'm so excited--my first acceptance after numerous rejections. Is anyone going to attend the Open House? Any idea if they help out with airfare?

I was accepted too! Congratulations to you! I will certainly be at the open house. I'm not sure about how much, if any, of the travel they cover; I would assume there will be some help (all of the programs I've been accepted to have a set amount they've offered to help with), but my partner and I were already planning to vacation a couple of hours away from there, so I wasn't really planning on finding out. I'm sure we will hear as soon as they send a schedule for the day, though. 

Maybe I'll see you there!

Edited by imogenshakes

On 2/16/2017 at 10:09 PM, CrunchyMamademic said:

It was really helpful for giving me a visual path to my goals, but also--and this is so important!--did not hinge on my being accepted to a program this year. Getting into a program would certainly help, but I had to stick to goals that were attainable (albeit challenging) through hard work alone NOT something dependent on others. 

That's also where I've redirected my focus.

I know I desperately want to see myself admitted somewhere fit and can thus develop my career sooner, but I also understand this "ticket" is only a small part of the long race. I don't know how many more years it'll actually take to get me in; yet, what becomes more important is to build up my strength and keep on the right track. Though, I've found it really difficult to stay positive and stick to the real work without fearing for more rejections to come!

Edited by cloudyword

31 minutes ago, imogenshakes said:

I was accepted too! Congratulations to you! I will certainly be at the open house. I'm not sure about how much, if any, of the travel they cover; I would assume there will be some help (all of the programs I've been accepted to have a set amount they've offered to help with), but my partner and I were already planning to vacation a couple of hours away from there, so I wasn't really planning on finding out. I'm sure we will hear as soon as they send a schedule for the day, though. 

Maybe I'll see you there!

Awesome! Is UCSB one of your top choices? I'd love to chat over email or something if you're open to it, it'd be nice to get to know someone who might end up in the same program. I'm still waiting on two schools, but not really hoping too hard for acceptances there; unless something really unexpected happens, it's a pretty sure thing I'll go. Thanks for your input--I sent an email asking about travel expenses, so hopefully I'll hear back soon. 

14 hours ago, everyblueline said:

Short-time lurker. From the research I've done, Chicago seems more hospitable to work done in visual art, theory, and poetics (not that Cornell isn't!). The theory lean at Chicago is observable even in the interesting committees assembled (Committee on Social Thought/ Committee on the Conceptual and Historical Studies of Science). My sense is that you would have the opportunity there for a lot of interdisciplinary interaction around your interests, specifically. Of course, both schools are prime choices. It might be worth doing some more research on faculty members/ grad students in your field and related fields at both schools to see what sort of work is coming out of both schools and to get a sense of which might be a better fit. Just a suggestion.

Just a word re: the School of Criticism & Theory. Cornell is home to SCT at the moment (it has happened at other schools in the past), but it is a loose affiliation at best, and lends the program a sort of "prestige" it might not be attributed if conducted at another school. I was at SCT this past summer. I attended with just a CDN MA. It is mostly attended by doctoral students and post-docs (from all over the place-- the program prides itself on being a site for international collaboration). It is an incredible way to spend six weeks. In response to @Warelin on SCT, being a student at Cornell doesn't guarantee you a spot, but there were a few Cornell students that participated when I was there. I got the sense that a lot of Cornell students take the opportunity to get out of Ithaca during the summer, and skip over to more happening cities, however. Given that it takes place during the summer and that most of the seminar faculty are from other institutions, one has minimal contact with Cornell as an institution itself, besides having limited access to the resources and being able to chill on the beautiful campus. I didn't apply to Cornell this year. I did apply to Chicago. My thought, having spent time in Ithaca, is that you should bear in mind that Ithaca is a super-duper small city. I'm not sure exactly what the Chicago campus is like, but as someone who has spent the last 7 or so years living in a large-scale, multicultural metropolis, Ithaca-living would be a tough shift to make full-time, even while it was a gorgeous reprieve. It is a good place if you want to completely dissolve into your research with minimal distractions. I have a friend finishing his PhD at Cornell, and, finally freed from instructorships for a while, he is writing his dissertation in NYC this year, because "four years in Ithaca is plenty, thanks." Definitely consider whether you thrive in a city or would prefer a sleepy upstate town to do grad work in. That would be at the forefront of my mind in deciding between Chicago and Ithaca. They are both wicked schools, friendly to theory, with incredible resources. Also, if you go to Chicago, you will have an equal chance of being admitted to SCT as a student at Cornell, so you could still experience Cornell in some capacity over the course of your grad career. Good luck!

GOT MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE from the MA program at UBC. I'm so happy, it's a great fit. I don't feel like I can accept immediately before I know if I've been admitted to any funded PhDs (since I'm American and a Canadian MA may be financially challenging) but this is such good news. It's such a load off to know that no matter what else happens I have at least one option for next year.

7 minutes ago, eadwacer said:

GOT MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE from the MA program at UBC. I'm so happy, it's a great fit. I don't feel like I can accept immediately before I know if I've been admitted to any funded PhDs (since I'm American and a Canadian MA may be financially challenging) but this is such good news. It's such a load off to know that no matter what else happens I have at least one option for next year.

Congrats on your acceptance! :)

9 minutes ago, eadwacer said:

Congrats!

10 minutes ago, eadwacer said:

Fantastic news! Congratulations!

2 hours ago, chamakay said:

Awesome! Is UCSB one of your top choices? I'd love to chat over email or something if you're open to it, it'd be nice to get to know someone who might end up in the same program. I'm still waiting on two schools, but not really hoping too hard for acceptances there; unless something really unexpected happens, it's a pretty sure thing I'll go. Thanks for your input--I sent an email asking about travel expenses, so hopefully I'll hear back soon. 

Yes, it is. I think it's down to Madison, Davis, and SB for me. I'm certainly open to an email chat anytime! :) 

31 minutes ago, eadwacer said:

Congrats!

Vancouver is quite expensive (it's my hometown), but you do have the exchange rate working in your favor. It's also a very metro-friendly city, and has some beautiful summer weather and typically mild winters (when it's not raining). I haven't lived there in over seven years, but if you decide to attend, feel free to PM me and I can give you recommendations and potentially put you in touch with some folks. :)