2017 Acceptances

21 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

even as I continue as a Shakespeare scholar, I'll remain something of a Milton "fanboy"...

And I'll remain something of a Shakespeare fanboy, promise!

20 minutes ago, Caien said:

I am developing a slight concern that the ND campus and surrounding area may be like living in a Disneyland version of Ireland 

I wouldn't worry. South Bend is a far cry from Irish. I think you'd find it all, suitably Mid-western American.  That aside, I am in 19th century transatlantic literature, as well as literature of the mind and literature of the environment.  So we have more than a little in common.  I was impressed by the faculty at ND, and I think, other than the obvious fact that Boston, MA is superior to South Bend, Indiana, you have a hell of a decision ahead.  ...  Feel free to PM if you'd like.  At the moment I'm leaning heavily toward ND and if we both decide to attend it'd be great to get to know you. 

49 minutes ago, Caien said:

I am developing a slight concern that the ND campus and surrounding area may be like living in a Disneyland version of Ireland - Shamrock Street, Waterford lane, and that fecking leprechaun... Are you in Irish lit also?

I'm with @Hartley on this one—I think you'll be fine on that front! The Catholic influence is more noticeable in general than the Irish one around campus—our guide cracked a bunch of jokes about the number of chapels we passed by during our tour haha. And the campus is stupidly pretty, we were all wowed on that front. Totally agree with @Sunsy (Congrats on all the acceptances by the way! Sounds like you've got some tough choices to make) that it was just so good to be back in that academic environment and be able to kind of nerd out about our research interests together and share that passion for what we're studying, both with the faculty and fellow interviewees. Notre Dame really did things right. Also happy to chat if you have any questions, @Caien! It'll be a really good cohort whoever ends up accepting offers. It's nice a lot of us are on GC too, cool to be able to stay in touch a bit and compare notes. 

Also, funny story from today! I was walking to the bookstore back here at home and ran into one of the other interviewees from the weekend! Such a small world, right? 

Edited by Mippipopolous

2 hours ago, Sunsy said:

EDIT: @Caien all this is to say that if you do choose to go to ND, trust me that you'll be in an amazing cohort... everyone I met was just so smart and motivated.

This is so great to hear!

2 hours ago, Hartley said:

I wouldn't worry. South Bend is a far cry from Irish. I think you'd find it all, suitably Mid-western American.  That aside, I am in 19th century transatlantic literature, as well as literature of the mind and literature of the environment.  So we have more than a little in common.  I was impressed by the faculty at ND, and I think, other than the obvious fact that Boston, MA is superior to South Bend, Indiana, you have a hell of a decision ahead.  ...  Feel free to PM if you'd like.  At the moment I'm leaning heavily toward ND and if we both decide to attend it'd be great to get to know you. 

1 hour ago, Mippipopolous said:

I'm with @Hartley on this one—I think you'll be fine on that front! The Catholic influence is more noticeable in general than the Irish one around campus—our guide cracked a bunch of jokes about the number of chapels we passed by during our tour haha. And the campus is stupidly pretty, we were all wowed on that front. Totally agree with @Sunsy (Congrats on all the acceptances by the way! Sounds like you've got some tough choices to make) that it was just so good to be back in that academic environment and be able to kind of nerd out about our research interests together and share that passion for what we're studying, both with the faculty and fellow interviewees. Notre Dame really did things right. Also happy to chat if you have any questions, @Caien! It'll be a really good cohort whoever ends up accepting offers. It's nice a lot of us are on GC too, cool to be able to stay in touch a bit and compare notes. 

Again, quite reassuring, thanks! Who was your POI @Hartley? And @Mippipopolous, I am sort of also a Romanticist (long nineteenth century-ist)!

Edit: I'm wondering if its possible to create a Notre Dame PM group? Can we do that on GC?

Edited by Caien

3 hours ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

A Rutgers and a Michigan acceptance on the board... Any claimants?

(*Dies a little*)

Just to give you a little hope, Rutgers has POIs call over the whole weekend so don't die too much! *fingers crossed for you!*

6 hours ago, jackdacjson said:

I'm the Michigan! I just got an e-mail from DGS, who I also mentioned as a POI in my statement of purpose. I'm so beyond excited.

wao !!!! congratulations! michigan is my #1 choice so i'm wildly jealous but hoping that more acceptances (including mine ;) ) will come in the impending days! has anyone else heard? i would figure there'd be more folks on this forum waiting on U Mich results

Congrats to all Yale, Michigan, Rutgers and NYU acceptances!! this is awesome guys and I am really happy for you!!!

speaking of which, do i gather that NYU is a no for me?

I also got into Michigan! Six years of guaranteed funding! My parents are both alumni, they'll be thrilled. Email at 8 PM Friday, capping off two explosive Fridays running - those adcoms are ready for the pub.  8a/0w/5r

Not gonna count us out yet at Yale - a glance at their results board turns up some serious incoherence: calls over multiple days, some people getting emails instead. Might take longer for those of us who applied for special degrees, like Renaissance Studies. Although, looking more closely, I now see that their stiff language entrance requirements may keep/have kept me out :o

That said, still waiting for Penn, my number one choice!! They've sent out decisions on Mondays the last two years running. Good luck to all!

5 minutes ago, piers_plowman said:

I also got into Michigan! Six years of guaranteed funding! My parents are both alumni, they'll be thrilled. Email at 8 PM Friday, capping off two explosive Fridays running - those adcoms are ready for the pub.  8a/0w/5r

Not gonna count us out yet at Yale - a glance at their results board turns up some serious incoherence: calls over multiple days, some people getting emails instead. Might take longer for those of us who applied for special degrees, like Renaissance Studies. Although, looking more closely, I now see that their stiff language entrance requirements may keep/have kept me out :o

That said, still waiting for Penn, my number one choice!! They've sent out decisions on Mondays the last two years running. Good luck to all!

congratulations!!!!!

next year you'll join them in the pub!!

3 minutes ago, piers_plowman said:

Congratulations!! I'mma gonna go ahead and cross it off my list... :P

Penn has also been my top choice! Maybe if we're lucky they'll take a couple of early modernists this time around?

19 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Congratulations!! I'mma gonna go ahead and cross it off my list... :P

Penn has also been my top choice! Maybe if we're lucky they'll take a couple of early modernists this time around?

With the high percentage of early modernists they're sporting, here's hoping! I think they're the all-around Holy Grail of departments, stacked in basically every area. Their placement rates in early modern jobs especially are staggering. AHH I just need to know

1 minute ago, piers_plowman said:

With the high percentage of early modernists they're sporting, here's hoping! I think they're the all-around Holy Grail of departments, stacked in basically every area. Their placement rates in early modern jobs especially are staggering. AHH I just need to know

Yeah, Penn really excites me. I just hope our little GC cadre of early modernists don't cancel each other out there. Then again, I do hope that if I don't get one of those coveted acceptances, that it goes to one of you fine folks!

By the way, I've tossed you a PM.

Don't worry, it's not a ransom note... :P

@Warelin  & @TheNostalgicFunction -- Wow--you all are wonderful. Thank you so so much--those are both super helpful responses. Esp //I had definitely thought that the School for Criticism and Theory was more tightly associated with Cornell than that, and it was having a definite impact on my decision-making process. The point about the city v. small town is also very helpful, and not something I had thought about enough. 

UCSB for the win!

1152667.jpg

I got an impersonal email yesterday that just said "A decision has been made". I was all geared up for a rejection and then, BOOM! I haven't heard from the DGS or my POI yet, however--I wonder if their wires got crossed and the Grad School sent out the notification before the English Department was ready to contact me?

Either way, I'm pretty stoked--IU is looking better and better, and they've taken a real personal interest in me, but UCSB was also one of my top choices...Imma have to get on the "Decisions" forum and ask for some hefty advice...

Just found this site- basking in the shared anxiety! Thought I'd throw in my responses so far:

Cornell: Waitlist

UVA: Waitlist

Chicago: Nope

Vanderbilt: Nope

I see some people got Rutgers and NYU acceptances, so bit of a bummer. I also applied to UPenn, Brown, Berkeley. I don't suppose anyone has heard from them yet?

@SlobDylan, welcome to the fold! This site is a great place to hang out, and certainly one of the most positive online communities I've ever encountered (which is nice...you know how forums can get)

I don't know if you have already seen the "Results" board tab at the top of the page, but it took me a few months to figure out it was even there (*sheepish grin), so I'll go over it on the off chance that you haven't looked at it yet. Basically, you can log any results you've gotten (rejections, acceptances, waitlists) as they come in and see other folks doing the same. You can also do school or program specific searches to see what people have already logged and when. That way, you don't have to check your portal every two seconds/annoy the DGS.

IDK about Rutgers, NYU, or UPenn, but I also applied to Berkeley and Brown but haven't heard a peep--I know a bunch of folks got acceptances one or two weeks ago, but they don't seem to have sent out all the rejections or waitlists yet. Keep your fingers crossed, though--I definitely thought I was facing a rejection from UCLA last week because of radio silence, and I ended up getting put on their waitlist!

Best of luck!

1 hour ago, ratanegra19 said:

UCSB for the win!

1152667.jpg

I got an impersonal email yesterday that just said "A decision has been made". I was all geared up for a rejection and then, BOOM! I haven't heard from the DGS or my POI yet, however--I wonder if their wires got crossed and the Grad School sent out the notification before the English Department was ready to contact me?

Either way, I'm pretty stoked--IU is looking better and better, and they've taken a real personal interest in me, but UCSB was also one of my top choices...Imma have to get on the "Decisions" forum and ask for some hefty advice...

Hooray UCSB! There seems to be quite a few of us ? Are you going to the visiting day on the 10th? 

I do feel the same way about the decisions forum though. My pros and cons lists for my top two (Davis and SB) are getting quite long, each for different but equally important reasons. It's going to be tough!

5 minutes ago, imogenshakes said:

Hooray UCSB! There seems to be quite a few of us ? Are you going to the visiting day on the 10th? 

It's weird--since I haven't talked to the DGS yet, I actually haven't heard about visitor's day or anything else. I expect that they will probably contact me more formally on Monday, though. That being said, I really want to go and visit, but whether I go on the 10th or another day remains to be seen--I have a final to give and two seminar papers to turn in by that following Monday :wacko:

Right now I'm mostly worried about the affordability of SB--I mean, they offer the full funding packages, but it looks like it's about 18K/year--a lot more than I'm making right now, but it won't go very far in a place like Santa Barbara, where housing is so expensive that even the faculty live in University-subsidized apartments. Not that I mind, but I have a partner and so we would have to get family housing, which has a waitlist of around 10 months--yikes!

We'll see, though--it's honestly a really good fit. I'll have to see the campus and talk to some of the students already attending to get a better idea of the ins and outs of living there :)