2017 Acceptances

1 hour ago, JeremyWrites said:

Mine does too. Hope that's not an implied no... 

congratulations, @Wyatt's Terps  You're such a light on this board you deserve it. 

Although you are now to blame for my recent heart palptations. 

Congrats to @Wyatt's Terps! You deserve what I'm sure is only the first of your acceptances. 

@JeremyWrites I may need a defibrillator.

13 minutes ago, anxiousgrad said:

Congrats to @Wyatt's Terps! You deserve what I'm sure is only the first of your acceptances. 

@JeremyWrites I may need a defibrillator.

"You are only allowed to give reputation five times a day."

But how else can I show my Internet empathy with @anxiousgrad and their namesake emotion? 

Congrats folks! Hurrah for good news all around:) And fingers crossed for all the schools we've yet to hear from. 

I just found out I'm in at OSU too! And University of Louisville:) Does anyone know what the funding opportunities are at Ohio State? The one sentence on the app window was pretty brief. 

4 hours ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

I just checked OSU's website.

I GOT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Congratulations - you have been offered admission! Use the link on the main page of the Applicant Center to accept or decline. Please click the Application Requirements tab above to see what items, if any, are still needed. Items with a status of 'Incomplete' are still required, 'Received' are currently being processed, and 'Completed' have fulfilled the requirement."

I can't believe it. Utter shock and joy right now.

I keep worrying that I'm going to refresh and it's going to go away...

Congratulations!! :):)

1 hour ago, Ashley828 said:

Does anyone know what the funding opportunities are at Ohio State? The one sentence on the app window was pretty brief. 

Congrats on your offer! You can find out about the standard funding package here: https://english.osu.edu/grad/ma-phd/funding. Aman Garcha (our DGS) will be calling you sometime in the next week or so, and one of the things he'll discuss is your funding offer. If you've been nominated for a fellowship, he'll let you know, and you can find more about them here: https://gradsch.osu.edu/funding/fellowships/eligibility-requirements.

9 hours ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

"Congratulations - you have been offered admission! Use the link on the main page of the Applicant Center to accept or decline. Please click the Application Requirements tab above to see what items, if any, are still needed. Items with a status of 'Incomplete' are still required, 'Received' are currently being processed, and 'Completed' have fulfilled the requirement."

I can totally believe it!! Congratulations, WT! You are one of the most supportive people on here. Well done!! I look forward to hearing about the many more programs you get into now! 

6 hours ago, Ashley828 said:

I just found out I'm in at OSU too! And University of Louisville:)

Ahhhhh!!! So exciting! Congratulations! Two schools at once probably takes a lot of weight off your shoulders! 

8 hours ago, engphiledu said:

So many congratulations your way!

I checked my portal, and I received the same status update for OSU!

I cannot believe I overlooked your acceptance to OSU!! Congratulations! I, too, ran out of upvotes! I'm so very happy for you all! 

Idle speculation here, but is it possible that the OSU offers that went out yesterday were for the candidates who already have MAs? I remember someone commenting that they try to have a 50/50 MA/BA mix...

Edited by Caien

15 hours ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Congratulations!!! Such great news, and well-deserved!

10 hours ago, Ramus said:

Congrats on your offer! You can find out about the standard funding package here: https://english.osu.edu/grad/ma-phd/funding. Aman Garcha (our DGS) will be calling you sometime in the next week or so, and one of the things he'll discuss is your funding offer. If you've been nominated for a fellowship, he'll let you know, and you can find more about them here: https://gradsch.osu.edu/funding/fellowships/eligibility-requirements.

Thanks Ramus! Totally forgot to recheck the department page in all the excitement haha. So you're at OSU now? How has your experience been there?

5 hours ago, TeaOverCoffee said:

Ahhhhh!!! So exciting! Congratulations! Two schools at once probably takes a lot of weight off your shoulders! 

And thanks TeaOverCoffee! Hope things are going your way too!

1 hour ago, Caien said:

Idle speculation here, but is it possible that the OSU offers that went out yesterday were for the candidates who already have MAs? I remember someone commenting that they try to have a 50/50 MA/BA mix...

Maybe! I'm in a MA program now, if it helps with the speculation. 

2 hours ago, Caien said:

I'm applying with a BA and my application is still listed as "Pending," so that's certainly possible.

2 hours ago, Caien said:

I am applying with a BA and my status is still "pending"...... SO NERVOUS. I just want to know either way :(:(:( 

17 minutes ago, alliex7843 said:

Huge congrats to everyone who got in!!!

Any chance folks want to claim the OSU accpetances that don't list which time period/interest group they applied in?

Everyone who's included that info has claimed either medieval or early modern. And I know someone who got in (and may or may not have posted) who studies Shakespeare. Might put those of us who are pending and applied in other periods/groups at ease. :)

I'd hate to kill this theory but I think @Ashley828 is in rhet/comp.

3 hours ago, Caien said:

I think it's me that you're referring to here. I'm not sure if we knew this about OSU before this cycle but it is very possible that is the case. It might also be that fellowship offers went out or that "guessing" an MAs ability to succeed at the grad level was easier to assess. What might be interesting to see is if at the MA level they prefer people who focused all their class electives in one field or if they prefer a more-mixed applicant and see if there's a correlation to accepted BA applicants? Might also be interesting to see if learned languages play a role.

11 minutes ago, Warelin said:

I think it's me that you're referring to here. I'm not sure if we knew this about OSU before this cycle but it is very possible that is the case. It might also be that fellowship offers went out or that "guessing" an MAs ability to succeed at the grad level was easier to assess. What might be interesting to see is if at the MA level they prefer people who focused all their class electives in one field or if they prefer a more-mixed applicant and see if there's a correlation to accepted BA applicants? Might also be interesting to see if learned languages play a role.

I'm obviously new to this whole "accepted" thing, so I can't say anything for certain, but I can at least weigh in on my application vis-a-vis my acceptance. 

I haven't heard directly from OSU yet, but from what I understand from a current student there, accepted students will likely receive a call from the DGS within the next week, talking about funding and other aspects (likely including fellowship options). I know that my combined GRE percentages aren't good enough to garner me the plum university-wide fellowships, so take that as you will. One unique thing about OSU's application is that you add all of your English-related courses to an additional page on your C.V. It's likely an easy way for them to see how genre-focused or diverse your studies were. I think my background was a solid mix. There's a clear line of early modern interest that goes back to my first semester at a 4-year college (in fact, I'm not sure I've had a semester without an early modern course), but I've also taken quite a few 20th century literature courses (fun fact: I just looked at my OSU C.V. and saw I listed "American Literature 1012 - 1960" -- oops!), and at least one course in virtually every literary period (with the odd exception of Victorian fiction -- go figure). 

As for languages, I have four semesters of Spanish, but those were taken during my first year-and-a-half at a community college...and Spanish isn't particularly relevant to my field. OSU seems to be quite forgiving when it comes to language requirements (reading knowledge of one language), so I doubt that was a factor in my application. My undergrad and graduate GPAs are both quite high, so perhaps that balanced out my good-but-not-great GRE scores.

Not sure if any of this is helpful to anyone. My gut feeling is that it really was my SOP and WS that sealed the deal for me. There are two hand-in-glove POI fits for me at OSU, and at least one of them was likely on the adcom, due to his sizable role in the program. I could be completely wrong, and hindsight is 20/20, but I suspect that the matching interests (i.e. "fit") is what ultimately netted me the acceptance, more than any other factors. 

@Lovegood RE: Madison, I applied for the PhD in literary studies as well and my SOP and writing sample were both focused on science fiction but I presented myself as someone who would want to also work broadly in 20th century American lit! Hope that helps. 

Oh and edited to add: my application status on the UW-Madison portal hasn't changed, my app still just says completed - I only got a notification via email. 

Edited by RydraWong

3 hours ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

One unique thing about OSU's application is that you add all of your English-related courses to an additional page on your C.V.

... oops :blink:

But seriously, I completely missed this. Tbh I'm in the UK/Ire system where we study our subject exclusively, and while I'm a joint honours (double major) student my transcript is still almost entirely English courses, so I think if my carelessness means anything it will be to reveal my apparent inability to follow basic instructions.

The funny thing is that I included an abstract of courses with all my other applications on your very suggestion @Wyatt's Terps, but it was too late to add it to OSU...

Update 10 mins later: Rejected by OSU. Oh well.

Edited by Caien

Oh my gosh! Congratulations @Wyatt's Terps @Ashley828 @engphiledu and everyone else! I can't even keep up with all of the acceptances! I'm thrilled for all of us! Way to go! So much good news...

13 hours ago, Lovegood said:

@RydraWong, @imogenshakes

Congratulations!!!

Can I ask about your areas of study? My SOP focuses on the Literary Studies in UW-Madison. Since my application status is still pending, I am wondering if the department has different timelines for different area groups.  

@Lovegood, thank you! I'm early modern book history/eco/digital humanities, so literary studies. A wide focus, but apparently a good combo for UW. I did talk to one of my mentors, who has been in contact with my POI at UW, and she said that as of last week they were still making decisions. It seems like the acceptances that went out yesterday might be first-rounds or just the first in a wave. I would imagine they're still working through all the applications, though, so I hope you hear soon! 

Also, I can't find the post back, but someone asked about funding...I have no funding info from UW, the DGS said to expect to hear about my financial package by mid-Feb. 

Gosh, you guys. I'm so excited right now I can hardly contain myself.

Edited by imogenshakes

4 minutes ago, biyutefulphlower said:

Guys, guys! I just got a wait list e-mail for OSU~ Holy moley. It's not an acceptance, but for the 1st thing I hear back, I'll take it! 

Anyone else in this boat with me?

Congrats @biyutefulphlower! Can't speak to the question (didn't apply to OSU) but a waitlist is certainly not a bad position to be in! Fingers crossed for you!