2017 Acceptances

3 hours ago, chamakay said:

Thanks so much for the reassurance. Researching and reading over everything about the program again is making me feel more excited and less stressed by the minute. There are so many amazing interdisciplinary centers and initiatives at UCSB! What did you learn about the Literature and the Mind program?

@mereandtonks, I'm glad someone else relates. I hope you're feeling a little less freaked out now too, though!

Man, I know! I'm quite excited about all of the environmental initiatives they have! And I actually don't know much about the Lit and the Mind program...I can't find who mentioned it (was it @ratanegra19?), but I remember seeing something out there about that. 

5 hours ago, echo449 said:

Hi ProfessionalNerd,

Congrats on yr waitlist--I'm a 20th centuriest here, so I work with/have taken classes with many of our faculty in your area. Feel free to PM me any questions you might have about the program!

Thanks. I'll reach out if I have any questions :)

1 hour ago, imogenshakes said:

Man, I know! I'm quite excited about all of the environmental initiatives they have! And I actually don't know much about the Lit and the Mind program...I can't find who mentioned it (was it @ratanegra19?), but I remember seeing something out there about that. 

Oh god, I'm so sorry! That's what too much excitement gets me!

Hi everyone -

I have been a lurker ever since I discovered this thread (when anxiously googling, "When do you hear back from X"). First, I must say that this is such a kind, supportive group and it is certainly a relief to know that others also refresh their email as much as I do! I'm currently applying for my MA in English (after an unsuccessful attempt at a Phd application 7 years ago after graduating college) and waiting to hear back from NYU & Columbia. Has anyone heard from Columbia or NYU, or have any insight? (I just heard back from Stony Brook, which is exciting, but very anxious about the other two!)

2 hours ago, DaisyMiller said:

Hi everyone -

I have been a lurker ever since I discovered this thread (when anxiously googling, "When do you hear back from X"). First, I must say that this is such a kind, supportive group and it is certainly a relief to know that others also refresh their email as much as I do! I'm currently applying for my MA in English (after an unsuccessful attempt at a Phd application 7 years ago after graduating college) and waiting to hear back from NYU & Columbia. Has anyone heard from Columbia or NYU, or have any insight? (I just heard back from Stony Brook, which is exciting, but very anxious about the other two!)

I'm not sure about NYU. For Columbia, I've read that either the acceptances will be released tomorrow OR the AdCom is meeting tomorrow to finalize. When I interviewed, they just said that it'd be "late February." Anyone else heard anything?

@DaisyMiller If you are applying for MA, the results would probably come out in March. The past results from the result board indicate this: same with Columbia, if the program you are applying for is MA. It could even go as late as April. PhD results for NYU have been announced around last week. Good luck!

12 hours ago, zombiekeats said:

Any BU applicants here? I remember hearing from them mid-month last time I applied, but so far nothing. 

Hi! I applied to BU. Just noticed someone put up an acceptance from the 22nd. I'm half tempted to call or email, but I don't even know if that's frowned upon. 

Who was the BU acceptance?! 

Just now, ShakesRos said:

Hi! I applied to BU. Just noticed someone put up an acceptance from the 22nd. I'm half tempted to call or email, but I don't even know if that's frowned upon. 

Who was the BU acceptance?! 

That's what I'm wondering! It says they received it on the 22nd--I'm less hopeful at this point :/

From my understanding, it's not appropriate to call or email for a result. Other GCers can confirm or deny this, but it's what I've heard.

7 minutes ago, zombiekeats said:

That's what I'm wondering! It says they received it on the 22nd--I'm less hopeful at this point :/

From my understanding, it's not appropriate to call or email for a result. Other GCers can confirm or deny this, but it's what I've heard.

I'm going to try and resist calling until April if I don't hear anything. Did you connect with any Profs at BU when applying? 

2 minutes ago, 2017applicant said:

Congratulations! How exciting! I'm curious, did they email you? Call?

I got an email late last night from the DGS. I was drunk when I got it so I deleted it by mistake lol #thirstythursday.

Sometimes people find out a day or so before the others, so if you also applied, you may find out today. That happened with me for Berkeley too.

3 minutes ago, ShakesRos said:

I'm going to try and resist calling until April if I don't hear anything. Did you connect with any Profs at BU when applying? 

Sadly no--I was particularly interested in William Huntting Howell and Maurice Lee, but I didn't get a chance to get in touch. 

I applied previously and was waitlisted, and the professors and admissions folks were honestly just lovely to speak to throughout. It struck me as a very supportive place. 

29 minutes ago, gyeum said:

I got an email late last night from the DGS. I was drunk when I got it so I deleted it by mistake lol #thirstythursday.

Sometimes people find out a day or so before the others, so if you also applied, you may find out today. That happened with me for Berkeley too.

Haha that's awesome; congrats again! I didn't apply to Yale, but there's been some confusion about Penn thus far, so I figured I'd ask haha. Hope you get to celebrate!

Just now, 2017applicant said:

Haha that's awesome; congrats again! I didn't apply to Yale, but there's been some confusion about Penn thus far, so I figured I'd ask haha. Hope you get to celebrate!

When I had my Penn interview, I asked the professors when I should hear back, and one of them responded later that day in an email saying around March 1 or 2. But this is for Comp Lit.

@gyeum I'd love to know about the program once you've started, I'm curious as of what the work load is, the atmosphere etc. The "holy triangle" of Ivies got me really intrigued!

20 minutes ago, zombiekeats said:

Sadly no--I was particularly interested in William Huntting Howell and Maurice Lee, but I didn't get a chance to get in touch. 

I applied previously and was waitlisted, and the professors and admissions folks were honestly just lovely to speak to throughout. It struck me as a very supportive place. 

I talked to a Prof a few months back and was told they were only taking 5 candidates. So, I guess as far as GC goes, there are still 4 spots 

Edited by ShakesRos

19 minutes ago, ShakesRos said:

I talked to a Prof a few months back and was told they were only taking 5 candidates. So, I guess as far as GC goes, there are still 4 spots 

Good luck!! I'm pulling for you! I'm still crossing my fingers and toes for Michigan and Columbia (crazy reach on my part), but at this point I'm a step away from closing the deal on a school. 

Edited by zombiekeats

1 hour ago, gyeum said:

Hilarious! Congratulations -- you have quite the decision ahead of you!

39 minutes ago, gyeum said:

When I had my Penn interview, I asked the professors when I should hear back, and one of them responded later that day in an email saying around March 1 or 2. But this is for Comp Lit.

Ah, good to know. Yeah it's been intriguing since a few WLs and Acceptances have been posted, but if the program didn't reject me outright when I emailed them about the timeline, I'm assuming I may have a small chance? Eh who knows. I'll end up wherever I'm meant to haha. Congratulations, again!

2 hours ago, zombiekeats said:

Crap crap crap, I was not aware of this (which now seems like common sense *facepalm at myself*). I sent an email. Will they totally hate me now? :unsure: 

I'm completely mortified. 

To make things even worse, when I realized it wasn't appropriate I sent an apology and now I'm like "oh great, I just compounded the issue, giving this person more stupid emails to wade through when they're probably already super busy."

Pls kill me. 

EDIT: just received a quick response that included "no apology necessary" but still utterly mortified 

Edited by LurkyLurker

7 minutes ago, LurkyLurker said:

Crap crap crap, I was not aware of this (which now seems like common sense *facepalm at myself*). I sent an email. Will they totally hate me now? :unsure: 

I'm completely mortified. 

To make things even worse, when I realized it wasn't appropriate I sent an apology and now I'm like "oh great, I just compounded the issue, giving this person more stupid emails to wade through when they're probably already super busy."

Pls kill me. 

EDIT: just received a quick response that included "no apology necessary" but still utterly mortified 

Aw I'm sure as long as you weren't inundating them you'll be fine. Glad they responded!