2017 Acceptances

1 hour ago, Kate- said:

University of Victoria and Queen's University! I would have the info in my signature if I knew how to do it...

Congrats! I know people who are doing MAs in each of those universities (one in Music and one in History) and they both love it! You have two great options to choose from!

24 minutes ago, natalielouise said:

Can anyone elaborate on the NYU rejections posted to the board? I have yet to hear anything. :( sorry to everyone who was rejected and congrats again to all of the acceptances!!! You are all incredible! 

Nothing for me either, maybe the MA? NYU dates seems to be all over the place in the last few years so its hard to guess.

Has anyone heard an actual rejection from BC yet? I just saw that someone posted in the results forum that they contacted the department and were told their application had been forwarded to the MA program so I'm wondering if it's likely that's the case across the board or not.

Unrelated - how long should one wait between receiving an acceptance and contacting the program to ask about when funding information will be coming? I heard back from a school - but not the department itself yet - and so have heard nothing about the TAship I applied for and like. I'm not a patient person by nature so I'm never sure when is appropriate to just ask such things directly.  

10 minutes ago, phoebusrising said:

Unrelated - how long should one wait between receiving an acceptance and contacting the program to ask about when funding information will be coming? I heard back from a school - but not the department itself yet - and so have heard nothing about the TAship I applied for and like. I'm not a patient person by nature so I'm never sure when is appropriate to just ask such things directly.  

I'd give it a few weeks. If you had other offers that you were strongly considering, you could justify contacting them earlier, but otherwise, just remember that there's a good reason for them to do things the way they do them...especially when it comes to funding. When funding info isn't available up front, it usually means that the department is having to liaise with the Graduate School (or elsewhere), who often have their own timelines. This is especially true when fellowships are involved.

Either way, it's sometimes hard to be patient, but...be patient. ^_^

9 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

I'd give it a few weeks. If you had other offers that you were strongly considering, you could justify contacting them earlier, but otherwise, just remember that there's a good reason for them to do things the way they do them...especially when it comes to funding. When funding info isn't available up front, it usually means that the department is having to liaise with the Graduate School (or elsewhere), who often have their own timelines. This is especially true when fellowships are involved.

Either way, it's sometimes hard to be patient, but...be patient. ^_^

Yeah I know, things are just a little weird to me because I had originally applied for Spring admission (and ultimately deferred to Fall because of funding, though for them deferral is not automatic admission just consideration again) and heard from the department several days before I heard from the Graduate School, but this time I haven't heard from the department at all.

4 hours ago, eatthatbee said:

Didn't post mine up there because there appeared to be plenty, but it was a simple (very polite) form letter. It stated that if you applied for the PhD, but also noted on your application that you wanted to be considered for MA, your application would be forwarded to that program for review.

Was there any change to your portal?

5 minutes ago, PostmodernPendulum said:

So, I've been on grad cafe a lot over the past few months, but I've mainly been looking at the other discipline I've applied to...

Just wondering..has anyone heard back from Purdue for the Rhet./comp. Master's program? 

For what it's worth, I know Purdue is having their admitted students day today. But I don't know if that's only for PhDs, or MAs too. When I was applying for the MA two years ago, I was accepted into Purdue's program on Feb. 27th; but I'm sure it varies year to year. I still haven't heard from them, so definitely assuming I'm waitlisted or rejected this time around. Hope it works out for you!! 

Call me a little paranoid, but all of these latest acceptances into Ivies seem to be for the same person, and that person has a helluva choice to make :lol: 

Edited by Yanaka

3 hours ago, zombiekeats said:

Still waiting on official word from Michigan, Boston, and Columbia. Ugh, I just want to rip the band aid off and have done with it! 

I am THIS close to calling Columbia and asking what's up. It's driving me crazy!

On 2/23/2017 at 4:30 PM, englishing said:

This was me! I got a phone call--probably the kindest phone call of my life--from a POI this afternoon. Accepted to the PhD program in Literature, with top funding award! Waitlisted at UChicago and waiting to hear from a few more programs. Definitely excited about this option. It's a great fit for my interests (postmodernism, self-consciousness) and a location I could be happy in for many years. 

Any chance you know anything more about UCSC? I'm just trying to figure out if they've finished notifying or if they're still in the process!

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, la_mod said:

I am THIS close to calling Columbia and asking what's up. It's driving me crazy!

Ugh, I feel it. I'd bet we'll hear something today or tomorrow, though--March 1st is fast approaching.

A bit of light relief in the face of anxiety and disappointment here on GC:

My students know I've applied for my PhD and ask me about it from time to time. I told them I hadn't heard from UW or UO yet and a kid in the back who almost never speaks very seriously says,

"Maybe they're too high to tell you."

6 minutes ago, aob981 said:

Has anyone heard anything about UNC? Are we thinking implied rejection if we haven't heard yet as they'd notified by this time last year?

I'd guess they're yet to notify. We're only a couple days past last year's notification date for them, and they're not famous for tiny cohorts where they could send offers without any GCers getting them and posting (like Vanderbilt).

17 minutes ago, aob981 said:

Has anyone heard anything about UNC? Are we thinking implied rejection if we haven't heard yet as they'd notified by this time last year?

9 minutes ago, piers_plowman said:

I'd guess they're yet to notify. We're only a couple days past last year's notification date for them, and they're not famous for tiny cohorts where they could send offers without any GCers getting them and posting (like Vanderbilt).

Yeah, it looks like UNC simply hasn't made their decisions yet. I would imagine they'll come this week, but they've traditionally been one of the later programs to notify. No sense in assuming an implied rejection just yet! :)