2017 Acceptances

14 hours ago, ShakesRos said:

Hi! So I caved and emailed BU. They said all acceptances have been sent out. They rejected me and offered me the MA. Sorry for the news.  Good luck with the rest of your apps!

Thanks for the update! I figured it'd be between the two schools I got into early this season. Now to choose!

28 minutes ago, othersamantha said:

Does anyone know if we're still waiting on acceptances from Harvard? The results board seems to imply that at least one of the two acceptances is not real -- has anyone gotten any concrete news? Thanks!!

So actually like 10 minutes later I got an email letting me know a decision had been made, haha! Good luck to others and congrats to anyone accepted!

Edited by othersamantha

23 minutes ago, zombiekeats said:

Thanks for the update! I figured it'd be between the two schools I got into early this season. Now to choose!

Congrats on the acceptances!!! Good luck :)

Hi, I'm new here and wanted to say hello. I'm sorry I'm posting this now, but I wanted to let you guys - especially @BLK1222 and @ShakesRos - know that I did receive an acceptance from Tufts' English Lit PhD program on 2/15/2016 and a rejection from Northeastern's PhD on 2/21/2016. I'm ecstatic because Tufts was one of my top 3 schools - my main fields are Postcolonial Theory & Lit and Global Anglophone Literatures - and they were the first to reach out and put me out of my waiting misery. I am still waiting on the PhD programs from Brandeis, Boston University, and Boston College, so I'll let you know when I hear something. I'm sorry that I don't know what the best thing to do is, but maybe email Tufts to ask since they have made decisions. I hope you all get good news - Good Luck!

6 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Way to go! That's a very tough nut to crack!

Thanks @Wyatt's Terps! I literally had to pinch myself when I found out the results because I couldn't believe it! It probably didn't help that I got the email right when I woke up so I thought I was actually dreaming haha

1 hour ago, manals said:

Hi, I'm new here and wanted to say hello. I'm sorry I'm posting this now, but I wanted to let you guys - especially @BLK1222 and @ShakesRos - know that I did receive an acceptance from Tufts' English Lit PhD program on 2/15/2016 and a rejection from Northeastern's PhD on 2/21/2016. I'm ecstatic because Tufts was one of my top 3 schools - my main fields are Postcolonial Theory & Lit and Global Anglophone Literatures - and they were the first to reach out and put me out of my waiting misery. I am still waiting on the PhD programs from Brandeis, Boston University, and Boston College, so I'll let you know when I hear something. I'm sorry that I don't know what the best thing to do is, but maybe email Tufts to ask since they have made decisions. I hope you all get good news - Good Luck!

Hi! Congrats on Tufts!!!  I emailed Boston University and the GSC told me they already sent out acceptances. They denied me the PhD, but accepted me into the MA ( which I'm pretty sure they do for everyone, though I could be wrong).  It's crazy that I haven't seen many Tufts notifications or even waitlists. But I'm still holding out hope. Keep in touch and I will do the same! 

After waiting through a painful number of rejections, I woke up to an acceptance from the University of Toronto! Absolutely thrilled, and totally in shock since I was already steeling myself to apply again next year.

@ThePomoHipster Congrats to you! Will I see you at the visit day?

8 minutes ago, erosanddust said:

After waiting through a painful number of rejections, I woke up to an acceptance from the University of Toronto! Absolutely thrilled, and totally in shock since I was already steeling myself to apply again next year.

@ThePomoHipster Congrats to you! Will I see you at the visit day?

Congrats! I also went through a painful number of rejections before hearing back from UofT so I know exactly how you feel. Yes! I have to take the day off from work but I will try my best to make it to the Visitor's Day! Can't wait to meet you and the rest of the prospective students! :D

3 minutes ago, ThePomoHipster said:

Congrats! I also went through a painful number of rejections before hearing back from UofT so I know exactly how you feel. Yes! I have to take the day off from work but I will try my best to make it to the Visitor's Day! Can't wait to meet you and the rest of the prospective students! :D

Yay! Looking forward to meeting you. I also do post-1945 stuff, so I'm interested to hear about your research interests!

Also, I had mentally categorized it as a rejection, so I'm stunned to have just received notice that I'm waitlisted at Boston University!

1 minute ago, erosanddust said:

Yay! Looking forward to meeting you. I also do post-1945 stuff, so I'm interested to hear about your research interests!

Also, I had mentally categorized it as a rejection, so I'm stunned to have just received notice that I'm waitlisted at Boston University!

Yayy same! Congrats! I'm not sure if I'll stay on the list or not yet, myself. Just relieved to be almost done with decisions. 

3 hours ago, englishing said:

They've sent out the invitations and details for the visit day next week, so I imagine this means they've finished notifying. Communication has been generally funky, so things might just be moving slowly over there.

I contacted the DGA because I'm juggling campus visits with tight RSVP timelines and want to make sure I can prioritize UNC if it's an option. Got a quick response that said they're almost done, and that decisions should come out by the end of this week or Monday at the latest. 

15 hours ago, CarolineNC said:

I'm pretty sure they haven't notified yet ;) Good luck, everybody! I was in this boat 2 years ago and the waiting was unfun. 

Thanks, there's still hope! fingers crossed!!

44 minutes ago, erosanddust said:

Thanks! I look forwarding to meeting you too! I also do post-1945 stuff (yay! same subfield!), and my research is primarily focused on media representations of gender and race (and postmodern texts on this topic)!

Congrats on the waitlist at Boston University as well!

Edited by ThePomoHipster

1 hour ago, ShakesRos said:

Hi! Congrats on Tufts!!!  I emailed Boston University and the GSC told me they already sent out acceptances. They denied me the PhD, but accepted me into the MA ( which I'm pretty sure they do for everyone, though I could be wrong).  It's crazy that I haven't seen many Tufts notifications or even waitlists. But I'm still holding out hope. Keep in touch and I will do the same! 

Thank you! Yes, you're right, it is crazy that there aren't many Tufts notifications. I swear at one point I thought that they accepted me because I was the only applicant, but my husband put a stop to that nonsense.

I'm sorry you didn't get into the BU PhD program, especially since you said it was your top choice. But their MA looks really good and that's a great program to get into. Did you apply to other PhD programs? I wish you luck on them.

On 3/1/2017 at 11:22 AM, manals said:

Thank you! Yes, you're right, it is crazy that there aren't many Tufts notifications. I swear at one point I thought that they accepted me because I was the only applicant, but my husband put a stop to that nonsense.

I'm sorry you didn't get into the BU PhD program, especially since you said it was your top choice. But their MA looks really good and that's a great program to get into. Did you apply to other PhD programs? I wish you luck on them.

Hi! Yes I applied to the Tufts and Brandeis PhD programs. I emailed Tufts today, so hopefully I will hear soon. I think Brandeis should be notifying this week from what their website says. Fingers crossed for one of them! But, if not then BU MA it is. 

On 2/23/2017 at 9:40 AM, Plantguypete said:

I applied and interviewed with Oklahoma State University, UC Riverside, UC Berkeley, and Yale University for Plant Biology (PhD programs). 

So far I have been offered full admission to Oklahoma State University, UC Riverside, and UC Berkeley; Yale is supposed to release their acceptances tomorrow!

At this point I know that I will be either attending UC Berkeley or Yale University, but the worst part is waiting to hear back about the NSF GRFP!

56 minutes ago, Plantguypete said:

Yale DOES DO interviews. For my field (Ecology and Evolutionary Biology), we interviewed in early February. They have been releasing acceptances since mid-February.

As far as Berkeley goes, I received my acceptance from Berkeley on Jan 26th.

Looks like you may be a bit lost -- this is a thread for applicants for programs in English Literature, which has far different application procedures, timelines, etc from the sciences.

Okay so I was accepted to NYU's Masters program (denied from the PhD) and I'm really freaking out! NYU was my number one choice--it was actually my number one choice for undergrad too, but I didn't get in then. The problem is that I was also accepted to Fordham and they're giving me sooo much money, full tuition and a generous stipend. NYU I think is offering me 50% tuition (it was kind of vague so I'm waiting for the official letter to get more details). I don't know what to do guys! I told myself that I would absolutely choose Fordham if I got into NYU, but I honestly didn't think I had a shot of getting in so it was easy to say before the decision was made. Help.

4 minutes ago, JessicaLange said:

Okay so I was accepted to NYU's Masters program (denied from the PhD) and I'm really freaking out! NYU was my number one choice--it was actually my number one choice for undergrad too, but I didn't get in then. The problem is that I was also accepted to Fordham and they're giving me sooo much money, full tuition and a generous stipend. NYU I think is offering me 50% tuition (it was kind of vague so I'm waiting for the official letter to get more details). I don't know what to do guys! I told myself that I would absolutely choose Fordham if I got into NYU, but I honestly didn't think I had a shot of getting in so it was easy to say before the decision was made. Help.

You got into Fordham's PhD program or their MA? If it's their PhD program, I'd definitely take it. Fordham has one of the best financial packages going. There are fit considerations, sure, but I assume you've already thought about those. 

2 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

You got into Fordham's PhD program or their MA? If it's their PhD program, I'd definitely take it. Fordham has one of the best financial packages going. There are fit considerations, sure, but I assume you've already thought about those. 

Sorry, yeah that was unclear. I got into Fordham's MA and NYU's MA. I'm trying to figure out fit now. I mean, they both have a good focus on what I need, which is why I applied. But I'm trying to sort through and compare their relative strengths and weaknesses.

2 minutes ago, JessicaLange said:

Sorry, yeah that was unclear. I got into Fordham's MA and NYU's MA. I'm trying to figure out fit now. I mean, they both have a good focus on what I need, which is why I applied. But I'm trying to sort through and compare their relative strengths and weaknesses.

Okay, I see. That's definitely a toughie, but I'm sure you'll figure it out :) 

This is the not-so-latent hippie in me speaking: I think if it were me, I'd review my persons of interest and their recent work and really tap into which of them gets me the most excited. Like, meditate on it awhile. Go with your gut. There are a thousand ways to rationalize the decision and everyone is going to tell you different things regarding the facts, but at the end of the day, you know best. Trust your instincts, even if they may not make 100% sense on paper. 

40 minutes ago, JessicaLange said:

Follow the money. If Fordham is giving you a lot more, go there, but if you'd go deeply in debt even at Fordham, I'd recommend declining and reapplying with a focus on more fully funded MA programs. Search these forums on NYU's MA program and you'll find that it, like UChicago's MAPH, has a very mixed reputation. Cash cow programs can work for some people, but especially if you're not independently wealthy or something, the debt for a humanities degree is not a good idea.